Stock Exhaust Mod

G'day and welcome to the forum, Biggin.
 
Biggin, so what you did is effectively allow a way for the exhaust to escape directly out of the eight drilled holes thru the existing hole in the end cap where the muffler's tail pipe use to stick out? And you did this based on how the sound improved while riding with the end cap removed? Please provide a photo of how it looks now. TIA.
 
It's been asked before by others and ignored, but I'll ask again... do you get any popping on deceleration with this mod? I know that the air injecting PAIR valve thingie can be easily disabled and that's great, but I would rather not do that if it isn't necessary.
So. Popping. Yes or no.
Thanks!
 
If you listen carefully, in the vimeo post #1 there was noticable popping (6 second mark on vid) on decel Bob, and that was without revving it very high. I bet on high rpm overrun, it pops like crazy. Some guys like that.
 
No popping with mine but I did the mild version, drilled a few holes and put the cap back on.
 
Thanks. I don't mind a bit of popping but don't want it to be distracting. I know, that's really wishy washy and subjective, but that's just how I roll :angel:
I guess I'll just have to get out the drill and see what's what. I can always plug it up with bubblegum if I don't like it.
 
cfda10a175ead5cef0094245eeab59e6.jpg


This is how much I drilled. 3/8 bit and a few holes.
 
The assymetry of those holes would drive me crazy lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
The assymetry of those holes would drive me crazy lol
Me, too, though I respect a free spirit.
Seems like I saw a diagram of the interior of our stock exhaust... sort of a cutaway... on the forum somewhere, but I can't find it. Does that exist?
 
The ferret_imp said:
The assymetry of those holes would drive me crazy lol
That is why I put the cover on.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
It's been asked before by others and ignored, but I'll ask again... do you get any popping on deceleration with this mod? I know that the air injecting PAIR valve thingie can be easily disabled and that's great, but I would rather not do that if it isn't necessary.
So. Popping. Yes or no.
Thanks!
I drilled 6 3/8 in holes and reinstalled the end cap. I have NO decel popping at all.
 
TCinNC_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
It's been asked before by others and ignored, but I'll ask again... do you get any popping on deceleration with this mod? I know that the air injecting PAIR valve thingie can be easily disabled and that's great, but I would rather not do that if it isn't necessary.
So. Popping. Yes or no.
Thanks!
I drilled 6 3/8 in holes and reinstalled the end cap. I have NO decel popping at all.
I drilled 6 3/8 in holes and reinstalled the end cap. I have NO decel popping at all.
Thanks TC. I think it was you that asked this question originally. :thumbsup:
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
TCinNC_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
It's been asked before by others and ignored, but I'll ask again... do you get any popping on deceleration with this mod? I know that the air injecting PAIR valve thingie can be easily disabled and that's great, but I would rather not do that if it isn't necessary.
So. Popping. Yes or no.
Thanks!
I drilled 6 3/8 in holes and reinstalled the end cap. I have NO decel popping at all.
I drilled 6 3/8 in holes and reinstalled the end cap. I have NO decel popping at all.
Thanks TC. I think it was you that asked this question originally. :thumbsup:
I drilled 6 3/8 in holes and reinstalled the end cap. I have NO decel popping at all.
Thanks TC. I think it was you that asked this question originally. :thumbsup: You're welcome!!
 
I went for the 8 x 3/8 holes (asymmetrically aligned for the OCD's).

Very slight tone improvement, no popping, backfire etc detected under heavy or light decel.



OK, here's a new link to a limited "after" clip taken with a plain ole no frills camera with a video option.

 
GaryMNM_imp said:
I went for the 8 x 3/8 holes (asymmetrically aligned for the OCD's).

Very slight tone improvement, no popping, backfire etc detected under heavy or light decel.



OK, here's a new link to a limited "after" clip taken with a plain ole no frills camera with a video option.

I just did exactly the same thing. As you say, a bit of a difference and no change in performance, popping, etc. I had fun playing with the drill, though! :banana:
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
GaryMNM_imp said:
I went for the 8 x 3/8 holes (asymmetrically aligned for the OCD's).

Very slight tone improvement, no popping, backfire etc detected under heavy or light decel.



OK, here's a new link to a limited "after" clip taken with a plain ole no frills camera with a video option.

I just did exactly the same thing. As you say, a bit of a difference and no change in performance, popping, etc. I had fun playing with the drill, though! :banana:
:rofl: all worth it in the end then
 
Don't have access to view the video.
 
did the same thing, with one addition, I cut the pipe off so the exhaust has a clear path. This helped the tone after putting end cap back on.
Used a dremel and cut about 3/8 out from the plate that holes were drilled in
 
Biggin, please try to quantify the difference with and without tail pipe cut off, and how does it look with the end cap back on? TIA.
 
dsinned_imp said:
Biggin, please try to quantify the difference with and without tail pipe cut off, and how does it look with the end cap back on? TIA.
The hole is obviously bigger without the pipe looks alright, seems to be little more rumble, not as airy sounding
 
Back
Top