Stock Exhaust Mod

Carguy1959_imp said:
Here is a picture of mine. I cut the snout off flush and drilled 3 1" holes. Then trimmed out th cap a bit.
What did you use to open the hole in the end cap? It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks fairly uniform and finished (not butchered).
 
I don't think I could do as well as you did.

I was thinking about removing the end cap, inverting & stabilizing it on a piece of scrap wood and then using a hole saw of the desired diameter. (still thinking)
 
dsinned_imp said:
Biggin, so what you did is effectively allow a way for the exhaust to escape directly out of the eight drilled holes thru the existing hole in the end cap where the muffler's tail pipe use to stick out? And you did this based on how the sound improved while riding with the end cap removed? Please provide a photo of how it looks now. TIA.
Sound based on having it running and pulling the end cap off with fast idle, to me is pleasant improvement have no thoughts of buying muffler now. Going to spend money on k & h seat
Sorry no pic, someone posted the same as my looks
Thanks. Oh by the way I hear no popping on decel
 
I was very tempted to follow your lead, but decided to go with an aftermarket slip on instead. This way I can always go back to 100% stock, which may be important if I ever sell the bike.
 
I'm planning on doing this. I can't tell for sure but it appears that you cut off the outlet in addition to drilling the holes. Is this the case?
 
Outlander427_imp said:
I'm planning on doing this. I can't tell for sure but it appears that you cut off the outlet in addition to drilling the holes. Is this the case?
You don't have to cut off the outlet. The OP just drilled holes in the end of the muffler with the end cap removed, and then re-installed the end cap (just as I did as well).
 
Hi, have anyone done this mod on 2104 cb1100 DLX? It seems the end of 2014 exhaustes are difference and I don't know how to open them. Please post a guide if youhave done it. Thanks!
 
So there I was with the drill in my hand for an unrelated project. What the he**! 6 x .5

Louder than I expected, but I'm sure it'll grow on me.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
 
I did the drilling; three half-inch holes at 3,6, and 9 o'clock. Yes it took me nine hours to get the job done but I did it lol

Seriously, it's just right. It burbles at idle but gets a bit quieter as you speed up. I can still hear the exhaust just enough to get a feel for the engine.

I wouldn't go any more than that. I think a guy could get some high-temp JB weld and patch them over if that was ever desired.
 
I did this mod today without knowing this thread existing (until cbreezy pointed it to me) and I like how SStan thinks. (I bet he likes goats like I do)
It took me about 20 minutes or so to do it and at the beginning I was getting a lot of pops (farting). I then opened six small holes on the cap and that solved the problem in my case.
 
Dlx pipes are one piece on the end ie no end cap to remove so can't operate on the inner baffle where you will get all the noise.
 
jdvalero_imp said:
I did this mod today without knowing this thread existing (until cbreezy pointed it to me) and I like how SStan thinks. (I bet he likes goats like I do)
It took me about 20 minutes or so to do it and at the beginning I was getting a lot of pops (farting). I then opened six small holes on the cap and that solved the problem in my case.
What size holes did you drill in the cap?
 
I've modded the exhaust on several bikes I've had in the past, with good results, but the same mod on the CB1100 did not work out. Started small and conservative, and ended up cutting out so much of the end plate that it was barely there, and it still sounds like a sewing machine.
 
Hi Charlie, I ride a 2013 CB. Thought about modifying the pipe as well. I bought a Dekelvic slip on. Good sound and if you want more exhaust note, it has a removable baffle. there are postings on youtube you can see. Easy bolt on and looks nice. Good build quality and no need to remap the chip.
 
cooldrum_imp said:
Hi Charlie, I ride a 2013 CB. Thought about modifying the pipe as well. I bought a Dekelvic slip on. Good sound and if you want more exhaust note, it has a removable baffle. there are postings on youtube you can see. Easy bolt on and looks nice. Good build quality and no need to remap the chip.
Thanks, Cooldrum, but I don't ride the CB much anymore since I got a Yamaha S-V1300 with a Cobra pipe. I'll probably give the Honda CB to my Grandson in a few years. Looking at a CB450 just for kicks, so he can sit on it and feel it.
 
Back
Top