Staintune Exhaust

Hello Adam, thank you for taking the time to clear things up for all of us. Your efforts are truly appreciated and I'm very glad to learn that your products will continue to be produced!
 
Great to hear, Adam. Thanks for having the interest and where-with-all to come on here and clarify things for us. I know we're a small community for your business (compared to most other motorcycle lines), so that really means a lot.
I know that I'm a very satisfied customer, and it sounds like more of my CB1100-brethern can be, too. Great news.
Best of luck to you -
 
After reading this thread, some others here and two testimonies from the french forum, I decided three weeks ago to order a Staintune. The slip-on was indicated available on the Stainstune website. Time I register for PayPal... it was "Sold Out". The customer must send an email to order. So I did. No answer. After one week, I sent another one. No more answer...I told this on the french forum and a forumer replied that I should send an email personnally adressed to Adam referring his participation in this thread. I did and got an answer at once ! After two mails - very nice from Adam- in two days, one slip-0n was available. I ordered it Friday, 28th. I now look forward to receving it ! This forum is really useful !

Guy
 
You should love it. I love mine. It is what the bike should have had from the factory. The stock can sounds like a sewing machine. Bleh.
 
After connecting the Stainstune I went through several phases (I beg you to excuse in advance the length of my development in broken english):

Phase of asserted desire and denial of costs: I was delivered a week just after the order. Very nice. Despite the VAT and customs duties that I had to pay on receipt - and the shock felt by the total amount ! - As has been said in the previous posts, I was not disappointed by the quality of the Staintune. Same for mounting, very easy. No doubt the Staintune increases the look of the CB.

Phase of doubt: When I started my beautiful black CB, I was really shocked by the intensity of the noise. But yet the engine was still idle! I also noticed a strong blowing effect of the exhaust gases. It is necessary to specify that this happened between the four walls of the garage, which could only amplify the sound volume... After this listening dismayed noise at idle, I immediately rode for a few kilometers in the surrounding countryside . Gently rolling in the many turns of the small road covered with chestnut bugs that left my home, I found the ubiquitous noise and wondered if it was truly bearable everyday… I reduced the engine speed to a minimum to cross - with embarrassment - the neighboring hamlet which is just before the access to the real road where I intended to let go a little.

You must know that I am a rather discreet guy who hates to be noticed.

Some questions have crossed my mind: How can I reconcile my age and my recent status as a grandfather with the juvenile manifestation of any transgressive power which consists in making all passers-by return to my passage? Is it coherent to make a sound so sporty while giving to see a motorcycle afflicted with the irremovable top-case I carry around permanently? How would I maintain the image of seriousness a bit stuffed I developed with my last professional partners - I am in an intermediate retirement / activity?

Phase of procrastination: On the departmental road, I quickly accelerated. The sensation I felt at that moment made me leave the quantitative register of my questions. The noise became a sound. This choice of qualifier fed a debate that had been held on this forum and which now seemed relevant to me. The combination of the perception of the unusual vigor of the acceleration and of the dizzying song that accompanied it made me feel a great pleasure. This sensation seemed to me comparable to the one I enjoyed at the beginning of the 80s, at that time without guilt, on my 750 XS equipped with a three in one almost empty. But with the Staintune, unlike the three in one, the effect of sound seemed to me less explosive than ordered and harmonious. Continuing to ride in the more peaceful pace that is mine, I still felt the disturbance produced by an omnipresent sound volume. I thought about selling the Staintune.

Evaluation Phase: With the help of an App for smartphone I measured the Staintune sound volume. These measurements were not carried out with necessary rigor but they seemed to me to be indicative: 88 db at idle speed and 98 db at 3700 rpm. In my CB official paper it is prescribed 88 db at 3700 rpm. Finally, these figures seemed to me less enormous than my impressions led me to believe. After all, a few motorcycles are homologated to more than 100db - HD I think - as I could see on french motorcycles sites. Throughout the outings I realized - or did I want to consider? - that up to 2500/3000 rpm the sound was nevertheless contained and that even at this speed, at the legal speeds 50 km/h ( 31 mph), 90 km/h ( 56 mph) and 110 km/h ( 68 mph), provided that the acceleration is progressive, the volume seemed to me more and more acceptable. What is difficult to achieve as acceleration is enjoyable! I have not yet driven on the highway. I do not know what the passerby meant, for that I await the visit of my eldest son for the Xsmas holidays: I will listen to him roll at different distances and speeds!

Phase of decision: After some rides I am accustomed to a volume of sound that does not seem to me as excessive. This not without bad faith certainly. I now carefully modulate my engine speed according to the neighborhood. It seems to me that the strong but silky voice specific to this engine in high speeds, already present with the original slip-on muffler, is still there, but more directly sensitive, even exciting during accelerations. Finally I experience today a pleasure comparable to that of you, predecessors when I hear at iddle the round, deep and powerful low frequencies of an engine little valued by the original exhaust.
 
Great read. Thank you.
 
Waiting for the sun.

I read through the last several pages and failed to find anything showing a resolution to Jim's issue.

Capo suggested it had been mounted on the inside, rather than the outside, of the muffler mount. That was a very good guess, but there was no followup or images of successful installations.

Jim thought his swingarm was flexible enough to "relax" and move outward with the axle nut missing. No. That swingarm will not flex. It is super-strong. Maybe a bicycle might do that. My SYM would not do that. And leaving the axle nut off the axle whilst mounting the pipe; that is asking to go for a test-ride without reinstalling it. And the pipe mounting point is not attached to the swingarm anyway.

6-7 HP gain? No, probably next to nothing. Just a change in tone. The Aussie bikes have the exhaust backpressure variable valve which affects the tone as well, if I recall.

I think drilling holes in the stock muffler will get you about the same results for free. If you don't like the sound, it would be very easy to use some high-temp JB Weld and seal them back off again using some suitable sheet metal stock.

To me that is the stoichiometric physics and economics involved. But it's a nice-looking piece and a guy ought to be able to install and enjoy it without all kind of problems. So where are some images of a successful installation, detail of the mounting point above the axle nut where the bloke was having a problem?

I'll never buy any kind of pipe again, used to install them all the time, and get meself drenched in gasoline rejetting those inline four cylinder engines. No thanks, they don't save lives (had earsplitting Screamin' Eagles on my Harleys as well as Erion Racing and Dale Walker, Supertrapp, Kerker), they just tick off the neighbors and lighten the wallet, from my POV.

But again if something don't fit and cost $800 what was the outcome? I would like to see some images of the mount point for anyone's bike who thinks they have a great fit.

Not for me, but for anyone else visiting this forum who may want one of these pipes. Because "This Thread Is Useless Without Images!"
 
Maybe try pages 1 and 2 of this thread Ulvetanna. Not sure if that's what you're wanting.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Maybe try pages 1 and 2 of this thread Ulvetanna. Not sure if that's what you're wanting.
24 dang pages I can't read it all...:(
Yeah that answers my question, I was thinking along the lines of what Capo was wondering, maybe the thing needed to be mounted on the outside of the footpeg bracket. But that pipe on Page 2 is mounted to the inside. But it is DARN close clearance. They really should have designed the mount to give it another 10mm of clearance. If that's the correct way to mount it, that is. I would like to see any other guys' mounting setup, are all the bikes mounted to the inside, or maybe that just seems right and some guys do it that way.

I remember mounting up a Dale Walker Holeshot slip-on to my 2005 FZ1 and it could be put on either way, and I'd get bored and switch it for the stock can again (the bike ran MUCH better that way too) and then get bored and reinstall the Holeshot. I'd always forget which way it went and a couple of times I mounted it wrongly.
 
If I remember aright, this is the only reported install where there have been problems.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
If I remember aright, this is the only reported install where there have been problems.
No, I reported a clearance issue too on my 2014 Canadian. Even after bending the Staintune hanger bracket a bit, I still only have a little over 1/8" (4mm) clearance to the shock bolt. There would have been no way to hang it from the "outside" as the link fitting to the header would not allow that kind of misalignment. I know that I had bent the hanger bracket for much more than 1/8" clearance, but as soon as I tightened the link clamp to the header I lost that extra clearance; so it is not just a hanger bracket alignment issue.

I could always remove the muffler and bend the bracket a little more, but nothing is hitting, so I will leave well-enough alone...for now.

The Staintune was designed to fit the 2013 and earlier bikes, so there must have been some subtle design change to the 2014 bikes. Staintune was supposed to be tweaking the fixture after I had the fitment issue.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
All those Staintunes and no pics, c'mon, what kinda forum is this?
One full of technically challenged old farts.
 
Apologies Gumby. I forgot.
 
Wow. Installed Stain Tune muffler today on 2013 CB1100. Holy crap does that thing sound good. It makes riding the bike a lot more fun. Pure music. Not even remotely loud. One word of caution: If you get one you will find yourself "blipping" the throttle. First during upshifts and downshifts to smooth shifting, then again when you pull up to a light or into your driveway, just because they sound so dang cool. In a much more subtle, and harmonically pleasing way: I've become like the Harley dorks.
 
Back
Top