Staintune Exhaust

Jim, first my measurement is very close to yours so I would have to agree with you it may be a manufacturing "variance". Surprising in such a quality article and no other reports of this. You could try a return. You might get lucky. Otherwise you might want to see if you can force some more clearance by bending the mounting tab and then re-fitting the unit, using muffler paste as required. That extra few mm of clearance is handy if you want to work on the rear end of the bike.

Cheers
 
Bending the tab would be the only option I have left, but I'll still give it some time before I resort to that. Funny, as I sit here and type this, I'm realizing that for this to work correctly, I'd have to bend the tab out, away from the bike (and not inward, as I intuitively first thought). With the bolt mounting, the tab will always remain vertical, and the canister would need to rotate outward a few degrees to gain the extra clearance. Maybe it's just me, but funny how the brain works sometimes.
 
Jim, at least email Staintune with details of the fact that the pipe doesn't fit properly and see what they have to say.
 
Jim21680_imp said:
Bending the tab would be the only option I have left, but I'll still give it some time before I resort to that. Funny, as I sit here and type this, I'm realizing that for this to work correctly, I'd have to bend the tab out, away from the bike (and not inward, as I intuitively first thought). With the bolt mounting, the tab will always remain vertical, and the canister would need to rotate outward a few degrees to gain the extra clearance. Maybe it's just me, but funny how the brain works sometimes.
My new Staintune, which arrived on May 21, 2016 had the same clearance issue to the shock bolt. It was only a 1/32" or less away when I dry fitted the exhaust. I bent the mount on the canister slightly and this helped to create upwards of 1/4" clearance to the lower shock bolt, but when I tightened the muffler mount bolt and the inlet pinch clamp the clearance shrank to 1/8".

Part of the problem is that the muffler mount bolt is only partially threaded and the threads bottom out before you can tighten this enough to pull the muffler toward the hanger. The next problem seems to be the angle of the muffler inlet on the Staintune which does not allow the muffler to swing away from the shock bolt very much. I added a washer under the muffler hanger nut, and this helped marginally to pull the muffler toward the hanger and away from the shock bolt.

I will definitely be contacting Staintune to advise about this issue. I will also need to ride the bike some to determine if the mount orientation shifts any or needs further adjustments.
 
Makes me wonder whether there's been some minor change in design between the 2010-11 models (which is what Staintune would have used) and later models.
 
Wow that doesn't sound good Ole. In the old days if something like a pipe was too close to an axle nut we would sit on our butts perpendicular to the bike, put our feet on each side of the rim, grab it with both hands and lean back and persuade it to scoot over a bit. Is this a possible solution for you Staintune guys?
 
A quick glance at Staintune's website seems to indicate that things are amiss. This is really sad news. However, the wording on their site still leaves open some hope that they might still be able to produce more product in the near future. (Obviously there is no telling and the guy from Pirate's Lair seemed to be trying to do a lot of reading between the lines.) I honestly can't imagine my CB1100 experience void of the Staintune slip-on.

Last year I swapped back to the stock exhaust setup to determine if any improvement to my low speed RPM behavior might result (it turned out that an 02 Sensor Eliminator was the answer). In no time at all I came to realize just how much my CB1100 experience was enriched by the addition of the Staintune unit. I consider it a key component of my bike. I'll value it more now.

If I had one of those Staintune cans that was riding too close to the lower shock mounting bolt, i'd probably be trying hard to figure out the best way to bend that tab over just a bit.
 
Ouch...

That's unfortunate.. While my CB is the first I have owned with one, I know the ST was a favorite amongst the vfr crowd...

I'm greatful that I have one. But it's unsettling to know should anything happen, I won't be able to replace it..

I hope they are able to turn things around
 
Seems like they are blaming everyone but themselves for this, or at least the Pirate Lair is. But if your machine breaks and your computer freezes, and that puts your company out of business, that says a lot. Great product, love mine, and no fitment problems at all on my 2013.
 
Staintune makes a fantastic product.. I never really knew how small a shop they were till now..

However, if PL is right. I suspect that it's more that ST doesn't want to pay for or fix a machine if they think they would only be in biz for a little bit longer anyway... It's sad..

As far a PL goes, while I don't like the his politics, as he's want to blame the woes on govt intervention, I appreciate the fact that someone kept a relationship going to bring em to North America. I respect that..

However, I suspect his business model wasn't thought out.. From what I read on the blog was that a substantial amount of his business (and expense) was on making available a product only they had available. So while its $ in the bank as you have a captive audience. Seems dumb to me that the failure of one manufacturer could jeopardize their business in such a fashion. It's the whole putting all your eggs in one basket thing..

I hope that Staintune can stay in business as well as PL as its a nice product
 
doesn't PL sell a ton of bolt on backrests for Pan American/ST 1300 Hondas and FJR's?
 
Well that certainly is a shame about Staintune. Regardless of my very minor fitment issues, I have absolutely no regrets about buying this product...it's a wonderful upgrade to the CB1100! I hope the business can somehow survive the problems they're dealing with.

As for a longer-term update to my fitment issues, all seems to be okay: As noted in a previous post, reversing that tophat-shaped washer gave me about an 1/8" clearance with the bike on the centerstand (fully-extending the suspension). Once the suspension is compressed a bit, even on the bike's weight alone, the shock mounting bolt is well-clear of the canister. As the earlier pictures show, my most serious concern was the contact rusting that was developing on the canister itself. Thankfully, that has now been stopped.
 
Wow, really sorry to hear this.
Their exhaust is without a doubt the best quality I've ever seen for a bike in almost 40 years of motorcycle modding. The sound is awesome; louder than stock, but very mellow and controlled - I always say it just makes the CB sound more like the inline 4 it is. I loved that the looks weren't far off the stock muffler, too, so my bike didn't look too far from factory.
Glad I got mine when I did, now, that's for sure!
 
Hi all, I was passed on the link to this thread by one of the members today and I thought I would take the time comment. I usually don't get involved in forums but I thought in this case it was important.

My name is Adam I am the Owner Director of Staintune Aust Pty Ltd. I am so sorry to hear that some of the CB1100 Customers have had less than satisfactory experience with the fit and finish of our product.

We have addressed the issues and have made changes to the assembly process to eliminate any future issues, customer feedback has always been and is still very important to Staintune's future and a great way to improve product and services. feel free to contact Staintune any time via e-mail or direct via phone our details are listed on our web site.

To clear up any confusion we are in business and still producing high quality hand made motorcycle exhausts daily. We have changed our company structure, we are smaller than we have been in the past but that has been a planned evolution and welcomed! We are now selling more product direct to the user, this not only makes for a more intimate business model but also delvers great customer service.

Staintune is here to stay. Hopefully that helps clear the air a little.

Forgive me if I don't get into a he said she said style of debate on this thread, I feel that would be really pushing the boundaries of good business.

Finally to all of the past and present Staintune Customers :thanks:
 
G'day Adam and welcome to the forum. I'm sure there are many members here who will be very relieved to hear Staintune is still in business and producing a fine product. As you will see from this and other threads, many members here (including our fearless leader) use your product and love it.

Best wishes for the future.

For the benefit of other members, while I am in Australia, although I considered it this morning, it was not me who made contact with Adam. Glad to hear from him though.
 
Howdy Adam and welcome to the forum. On this forum at least, your product is universally loved. Now get busy making a set of EX's and DLX's. You are missing quite a few sales.
 
Thank goodness, Pirate's Lair has a long winded diatribe tying your fate to 'aging owners' and The Affordable Care Act. Your stuff is top notch, and mine fits my 2013 perfectly. Hope you get your biz right- sized, and that many years of success lie ahead.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Howdy Adam and welcome to the forum. On this forum at least, your product is universally loved. Now get busy making a set of EX's and DLX's. You are missing quite a few sales.
Welcome Adam and a +1 on Ferrets mention of a set for the DLX. I would love to have a set of Staintunes for my DLX !
 
Back
Top