Staintune Exhaust

No. Something's wrong. I think the flange is on the wrong side of the mounting point. When I get home I'll send a photo of mine. Unless I'm beaten to the draw (or post).

Cheers
 
I'm not home to check mine out, but quite certain that you've mounted it on the wrong side of the hangar.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Jim21680_imp said:
To my fellow Staintune owners, is this spring mounting bolt in contact with the pipe on your bikes? I just noticed this today while inspecting the rear pads.

f2ac29beb085bfaec562939ac4a67b8d.jpg
Looks like the right side of the mount. However, check mine out.

b975a2eb511141ffa99c9d6142022776.jpeg


c7df2794d638cc9fd22fa0583410f502.jpeg


01d39155fdd910eaed7372bcab6d89a2.jpeg


Cheers
 
Ahh, I just realized what it is...

Look closely, you'll see my axle nut is removed, as I'm currently changing tires.
This must have allowed the swingarm to relax outward, and there you have it!

Well, that's what I'm hoping for. I'll know for sure tomorrow morning when I remount the wheel. Thanks for your help fellas!
 
That's a relief! One of the benefits of a Staintune (besides the obvious) is being able to remove or loosen and then retorque tha axle nut without removing the muffler. Same for the shocka, just need to take the muffler holding bolt out and gently push the Staintune outwards until you can get a spanner on, and then remove, the lower shocka mounting bolt. Something I really couldn't do with the OEM.

Cheers, and hope it all works out.
 
On my current bike (the second one I've mounted a Staintune) that lower shock bolt is really close to the muffler but I was checking it at full suspension extension while mounting my Ohlins. I had about an 1/8 inch clearance. So far so good in real world riding since I doubt I'll be riding so hard to full drop the rear end, I hope.

On my first CB wasn't even close.

Aloha,
Huladog


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Well, it turns out that my "swingarm flex" theory is not the cause of this issue, so I'm stumped.
The wheel is remounted, and the swingarm didn't close even the slightest bit (I was a bit skeptical that the rebound could be that far anyway...half an inch?)

The bike has never been dropped or bumped on that side, so I'll have to examine the mounting points for the step bracket. It could just be a manufacturing variance from Staintune.

There's got to be several other owners on here....anyone else??
 
I would doubt that it is manufacturing variance. It's difficult to tell what the problem might be purely from photographs. Are you sure you have the correct muffler? It certainly looks the right one. I'll have another look at my setup and see if I can take any measurements that might help.

Cheers
 
Jim,

I just looked at mine and the muffler is about 1/3 inch away from that bolt. Take the heat shield off of your pipe and then loosen the clamp that secures the Staintune to the header pipe. With that clamp loose grab the muffler and pull it away from that bolt. The Staintune will rotate slightly away from that bolt as you rotate it on the header pipe. If you get it straightened out that way great. If not, remove the Staintune and protect that mounting tab with cardboard while you bend it slightly with an adjustable wrench before remounting it. My first fix should work and it won't take you long. Cheers bro.

Chip
 
I spent about an hour today trying to get my Staintune to mount "correctly", but I still couldn't get the clearance others have. The bike's step bracket doesn't seem to be bent or improperly secured to the frame, so I can only imagine it's a manufacturing variance from Staintune. By loosening the mounting hardware and tugging it outward, along with reversing the washer/sleeve in the mounting point, I was able to get about a 2mm gap between the bolt & canister, which is fine with me as long as it stays that way. I'll be keeping a close eye on it in the coming weeks, but I'll save bending the mounting bracket as a last resort.

As you can see, there was definitely a bit of galvanic corrosion and abrasion going on:
412ea88a41982aee48c7b062b1e33990.jpg


51edf9b283b99f5a2628c975b8038670.jpg


And here is the washer & sleeve that I was able to reverse:
8d23e3876556dd25f18fb979a17a3acf.jpg


Thanks again to all that have shared some input on this; I'll keep you posted.
 
So, I assume it's pronounced stay-in-tune (?) ... 6 or 7 additional horse power- that sounds nice. What will it do to the mileage? It's already not great with these bikes. And will the valves beat themselves up with this pipe? - nothing comes for free
 
Mileage

You don't get an exhaust and worry about the mileage, hand in your man card..

Its a means to go faster, sound meaner, so we're cooler, and women give us their panties..

We don't worry about mpg.. Also the CB has a gas guage so you know when to get gas..:
 
Jim_imp said:
So, I assume it's pronounced stay-in-tune (?) ... 6 or 7 additional horse power- that sounds nice. What will it do to the mileage? It's already not great with these bikes. And will the valves beat themselves up with this pipe? - nothing comes for free
The blokes at the factory say Stain-tune. But we speak funny so do as you wish. I would be surprised if there is a significant HP gain. Nothing you would notice. I have done many thousands of kilometres, maybe 50000, with the Staintune fitted. Mileage has improved, and I track it carefully, but I'm not sure it is the Staintune. Maybe the engine is just running better and I'm used to the bike and get a lot more out of it with a smoother right hand. You are right when you say nothing comes for free. I like the sound and the look, but to me it is worth the cost. No mechanical downside, except you may want to do a PAIR valve mod.

Cheers
 
Back in the early 90's I bought a used BMW K75S. It was a beautiful and smooth riding machine. I coughed up the $750 for a Stain-Tune, never having had one before. It was a beautiful piece of work and sounded awesome. One of my first thoughts when I bought the CB1100 was, "I wonder if they make a Stain-Tune for this bike?"
 
The CB1100 Staintune is finally shown as available again for purchase on the Staintune Website!!!

I was given an order confirmation number over a month ago, but was only able to arrange payment today! Let's see how long it takes to send the unit to the Great White North were the last remnants of our April snowstorms is still on the ground.
 
Jim21680_imp said:
I spent about an hour today trying to get my Staintune to mount "correctly", but I still couldn't get the clearance others have. The bike's step bracket doesn't seem to be bent or improperly secured to the frame, so I can only imagine it's a manufacturing variance from Staintune. By loosening the mounting hardware and tugging it outward, along with reversing the washer/sleeve in the mounting point, I was able to get about a 2mm gap between the bolt & canister, which is fine with me as long as it stays that way. I'll be keeping a close eye on it in the coming weeks, but I'll save bending the mounting bracket as a last resort.

As you can see, there was definitely a bit of galvanic corrosion and abrasion going on:
412ea88a41982aee48c7b062b1e33990.jpg


51edf9b283b99f5a2628c975b8038670.jpg


And here is the washer & sleeve that I was able to reverse:
8d23e3876556dd25f18fb979a17a3acf.jpg


Thanks again to all that have shared some input on this; I'll keep you posted.
Jim, i measured my muffler clearance yesterday. 8mm. I can get a ring spanner over the lower shock mounting bolt without a problem.

Cheers
 
Hey, could I bother someone to take a measurement for me? (At your leisure, no rush).
It doesn't matter if you have a Staintune or not.

I'm looking for the distance between the outer rim facing, and the inside edge of the step bracket (as shown). The distance on my bike is about 5 7/8"

f41f05c63ca00d13650c8ea51d4350c9.jpg
 
Measured like in your pic, my '13 is dead on 6".
 
Thanks Pop, I'm now fully convinced that it's the canister mount that has an issue, and not my bike. The 2mm gap is still holding up, and I've noticed that there's plenty of space once my weight compresses the shocks a bit. I'm feeling pretty good about it for now...we'll see.
 
Back
Top