Staintune Exhaust

Thread starter
GSAviator_imp said:
Yes! Thet fixes my one aesthetic objection to the CB! Much mo beta.
GS, it sounds even better than it looks. It has made the bike that much more fun to ride.
redReno_imp said:
I am definitely ordering one!
I think you'll love how it sounds. It really brings the 4-cylinder Honda experience to life. Have I mentioned I love this bike?
 
Nicely done Scoobynut!

The only thing I like better about the stock exhaust is how it flares out a bit towards the end. That Staintune unit is one classy looking can. And I love the way it sounds in the videos. Any changes to the torque/throttle response at lower RPMs?

By the way, according to the Staintune site (yes, I was looking at their site, just looking :)) the weight saving over the OEM unit is 2 kg (4.4 lbs).
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
Nicely done Scoobynut!

The only thing I like better about the stock exhaust is how it flares out a bit towards the end. That Staintune unit is one classy looking can. And I love the way it sounds in the videos. Any changes to the torque/throttle response at lower RPMs?

By the way, according to the Staintune site (yes, I was looking at their site, just looking :)) the weight saving over the OEM unit is 2 kg (4.4 lbs).
Guth, I agree, the stock muffler is a good looking muffler in my opinion. Some people have criticized it's size and length, but that never bothered me. I also thought the way its diameter got larger toward the end cap was a nice design. But I wanted a nice soundtrack which the stock muffler lacked. It wasn't bad, but just a little too polite I thought. The Staintune sounds good in the video, but the videos don't really do it any justice compared to how it sounds in person. The bike seems noticeably snappier, especially at higher speeds -- as in 5th gear roll-ons from about 70 mph. It just flat out moves in that scenario, again, noticeably harder than w/the stock muffler. I also think the low speed response is crisper, but as I'm still breaking the bike in with (mostly) lower rpms, it's hard to be too definitive about that yet. But it sure does feel like the bike is better able to breathe freely now. The weight saving you mention (more or less) jibes with my seat of the pants, uh, palm, comparison. Not a huge weight savings, but I just see the minor weight saving as a nice bonus along with the more compact size of the Staintune, and especially the tuneful sounds it makes. I'm very happy with the Staintune muffler. It's probably pretty obvious, but I can't really think of any complaints I have with it. The quality, fitment, looks and sound are all outstanding in my opinion. Score one for the Aussies...
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Nicely done Scoobynut!

The only thing I like better about the stock exhaust is how it flares out a bit towards the end. That Staintune unit is one classy looking can. And I love the way it sounds in the videos. Any changes to the torque/throttle response at lower RPMs?

By the way, according to the Staintune site (yes, I was looking at their site, just looking :)) the weight saving over the OEM unit is 2 kg (4.4 lbs).
Guth, I agree, the stock muffler is a good looking muffler in my opinion. Some people have criticized it's size and length, but that never bothered me. I also thought the way its diameter got larger toward the end cap was a nice design. But I wanted a nice soundtrack which the stock muffler lacked. It wasn't bad, but just a little too polite I thought. The Staintune sounds good in the video, but the videos don't really do it any justice compared to how it sounds in person. The bike seems noticeably snappier, especially at higher speeds -- as in 5th gear roll-ons from about 70 mph. It just flat out moves in that scenario, again, noticeably harder than w/the stock muffler. I also think the low speed response is crisper, but as I'm still breaking the bike in with (mostly) lower rpms, it's hard to be too definitive about that yet. But it sure does feel like the bike is better able to breathe freely now. The weight saving you mention (more or less) jibes with my seat of the pants, uh, palm, comparison. Not a huge weight savings, but I just see the minor weight saving as a nice bonus along with the more compact size of the Staintune, and especially the tuneful sounds it makes. I'm very happy with the Staintune muffler. It's probably pretty obvious, but I can't really think of any complaints I have with it. The quality, fitment, looks and sound are all outstanding in my opinion. Score one for the Aussies...
I'd say score one for Scoobynut. :D
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Nicely done Scoobynut!

The only thing I like better about the stock exhaust is how it flares out a bit towards the end. That Staintune unit is one classy looking can. And I love the way it sounds in the videos. Any changes to the torque/throttle response at lower RPMs?

By the way, according to the Staintune site (yes, I was looking at their site, just looking :)) the weight saving over the OEM unit is 2 kg (4.4 lbs).
Guth, I agree, the stock muffler is a good looking muffler in my opinion. Some people have criticized it's size and length, but that never bothered me. I also thought the way its diameter got larger toward the end cap was a nice design. But I wanted a nice soundtrack which the stock muffler lacked. It wasn't bad, but just a little too polite I thought. The Staintune sounds good in the video, but the videos don't really do it any justice compared to how it sounds in person. The bike seems noticeably snappier, especially at higher speeds -- as in 5th gear roll-ons from about 70 mph. It just flat out moves in that scenario, again, noticeably harder than w/the stock muffler. I also think the low speed response is crisper, but as I'm still breaking the bike in with (mostly) lower rpms, it's hard to be too definitive about that yet. But it sure does feel like the bike is better able to breathe freely now. The weight saving you mention (more or less) jibes with my seat of the pants, uh, palm, comparison. Not a huge weight savings, but I just see the minor weight saving as a nice bonus along with the more compact size of the Staintune, and especially the tuneful sounds it makes. I'm very happy with the Staintune muffler. It's probably pretty obvious, but I can't really think of any complaints I have with it. The quality, fitment, looks and sound are all outstanding in my opinion. Score one for the Aussies...
I'd say score one for Scoobynut. :D
I'd say score one for Scoobynut. :D
Haha, yes, I am a beneficiary of Aussie goodness too!
 
Always nice when someone is pleased with a purchase. Congrats Scoob.

Oh and good guessing ;)
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Always nice when someone is pleased with a purchase. Congrats Scoob.

Oh and good guessing ;)
Thanks, Ferret. It really is a great product.

Ha, yeah, I wasn't too far off was I?
 
Thanks for the awesome write up. I'm gonna link this post on the post I originally posted to help people stumble on this... Oh and damn it Scooby... Now I have to spend another $900...

Deft
 
Thread starter
Deftquiver_imp said:
Thanks for the awesome write up. I'm gonna link this post on the post I originally posted to help people stumble on this... Oh and damn it Scooby... Now I have to spend another $900...

Deft
Lol, well, like they say, you can't take it with you -- so you might as well enjoy the soundtrack while you're getting there!
 
Thread starter
Deftquiver_imp said:
So do you have any plans/have you done any research into headers?
Deft, nope, I'm not even going to consider headers. The stock headers probably have a catalyst, and I know there is a oxygen (or is it Co2?) sensor bung on the stock headers, so you would have some issues to overcome with aftermarket headers if you didn't want your check engine light on. You might also have to remap or upgrade/replace the ECU if you went with a full exhaust, which I also see as overkill on this bike as the F.I. fueling is so good from the factory.

In any case, I'm plenty satisfied with just the slip-on -- and 6 or 7 additional hp is a very good result from just a slip-on. The nice tunes from the slip-on were the main thing I was after; I just don't see the point of going after huge performance on this bike as that's not really it's mission, IMHO. That's not to say I'd see anything wrong with anyone else going the full-exhaust route if they wanted to.
 
[/QUOTE]

Lol, well, like they say, you can't take it with you -- so you might as well enjoy the soundtrack while you're getting there!
[/QUOTE]

Yea, thats what I thought when I bought my first 8 track player. :rolleyes:
 
Page 1-32 of the service manual at the bottom says: "This motorcycle is equiped with a three-way catalylic converter".
 
Thread starter
Deft, the factory headers look very well engineered and, like you say, probably aren't as much of a factor as the muffler.

Just as an aside, just for fun I was surfing the factory parts diagrams for this bike, and the dealer price for the factory headers is $1877.00. They'd better be good at that price, huh? :huh:
 
I think the headers are awesome, slip on is my only option to get a nice sound out of her. Out of all the ones I've found online, the staintune stands out the most, I could wait a few months or a year to see what else comes out.... But eh, I'd probably still go with staintune, so I am going to order it now :D
 
Thread starter
Good for you, redReno! I'll be interested to hear your impressions once you get it installed.

You're right, there will probably be some U.S. based options at some point, but I think whatever comes out, they will have a hard time matching the close-to-factory looks of the Staintune. I'm not even sure anyone else makes a polished stainless exhaust with a factory-like endcap. Although, I believe Arrow makes something similar for Triumph as a dealer optional exhaust. I could be wrong, but other than Arrow, it seems like all the exhaust makers have now gone to separate endcaps with a metal or carbon mid-section.
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
Deft, the factory headers look very well engineered and, like you say, probably aren't as much of a factor as the muffler.

Just as an aside, just for fun I was surfing the factory parts diagrams for this bike, and the dealer price for the factory headers is $1877.00. They'd better be good at that price, huh? :huh:
Holy crap!!! I guess it's not going to take much to reach my $500 deductible if something ever happens. So where did you find the factory parts diagrams?
 
Deftquiver_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
Deft, the factory headers look very well engineered and, like you say, probably aren't as much of a factor as the muffler.

Just as an aside, just for fun I was surfing the factory parts diagrams for this bike, and the dealer price for the factory headers is $1877.00. They'd better be good at that price, huh? :huh:
Holy crap!!! I guess it's not going to take much to reach my $500 deductible if something ever happens. So where did you find the factory parts diagrams?
I ordered the oil filter/wrench combo along with other things from this website

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/#/l/hon/511a8d64f870022e4ccd3234/2013-cb1100-ac-parts

Didn't take too long to get here, I've used bike bandit in the past and liked them, but they don't have the CB11 listed yet.
Scoobynut_imp said:
Good for you, redReno! I'll be interested to hear your impressions once you get it installed.

You're right, there will probably be some U.S. based options at some point, but I think whatever comes out, they will have a hard time matching the close-to-factory looks of the Staintune. I'm not even sure anyone else makes a polished stainless exhaust with a factory-like endcap. Although, I believe Arrow makes something similar for Triumph as a dealer optional exhaust. I could be wrong, but other than Arrow, it seems like all the exhaust makers have now gone to separate endcaps with a metal or carbon mid-section.
Thanks to you, I won't be paying the $986 the San Diego vendor wanted me to pay, just to have it shipped to them, I would have had to pay extra to have them send it to me. I ordered it from the Sturgis vendor and I only paid $899, they are going to give me a call once they send it out to my door. :D

Today I received my Service manual and I was pleased to see they have instructions on removing the exhaust, though it does look simple I like having something to go by.
 
Back
Top