So. Does the "one bike does all" holy grail exist? What would your pick be?

I am enjoying this topic and want to add a few more words. I am sitting here reminiscing about all the bikes I have owned - more than 30 from US, Europe & Japan. Of all the bikes I have owned the three that put the biggest smile on my face: '73 Ducati 750GT, '95 Ducati Monster and 2001 Triumph Speed Triple. Of course these bikes are out of date now, but the characteristics that made them loveable are still valid. All were reasonably light, handled great, had torque laden power bands, minimal vibration, comfortable riding position, simple to work on and all made great sounds.

I still have the Ducati 750GT, but it is no longer an everyday rider and reminds me that brakes, electronics, tires, fueling, etcetera have improved greatly since 1973. Still sounds and handles great though.
 
thessler3_imp said:
I am enjoying this topic and want to add a few more words. I am sitting here reminiscing about all the bikes I have owned - more than 30 from US, Europe & Japan. Of all the bikes I have owned the three that put the biggest smile on my face: '73 Ducati 750GT, '95 Ducati Monster and 2001 Triumph Speed Triple. Of course these bikes are out of date now, but the characteristics that made them loveable are still valid. All were reasonably light, handled great, had torque laden power bands, minimal vibration, comfortable riding position, simple to work on and all made great sounds.

I still have the Ducati 750GT, but it is no longer an everyday rider and reminds me that brakes, electronics, tires, fueling, etcetera have improved greatly since 1973. Still sounds and handles great though.
51e0d119e9135b5ed55f3c3afcc29129.jpg


It would put a big smile on my face to ride that too!! ;)
 
:thumbsup: My BMW K1600 comes very close. It's smooth & comfortable, fast, handles very well, gets good gas mileage, has a 7 gallon tank and has plenty of luggage that will hold a large helmet. It's a stunning motorcycle. The only downside is the cost of admission.
 
Hey Damfino that pic is of a 1974 750GT. Mine is a '73 with stainless fenders and fiberglass tank.

I think that that "ride" you were wishing for is about a 1954 model that would now be 60 years old. She does look good though.
Those BMW sixes are really smooth. They are a bit bigger than I would like and costly enough to buy two bikes. I wish they would build about a 900CC version - even if just 3 cylinders. Even though I am a big guy, I like medium size bikes.
 
Mike Bee_imp said:
:thumbsup: My BMW K1600 comes very close. It's smooth & comfortable, fast, handles very well, gets good gas mileage, has a 7 gallon tank and has plenty of luggage that will hold a large helmet. It's a stunning motorcycle. The only downside is the cost of admission.
The price and the weight are both kinda not-so-great. Otherwise, it's an awesome bike. If I remove "going offroad" from my "one bike" criteria, the K1600GT is near the top of the list. Again, it's price kind of hurts it there, though, since the new FJR1300ES competes quite well for thousands less. I would have a hard time paying $28k for a bike when I can pay $10k less for a bike that delivers 9/10's the goods. But if money is no object, than this part of the equation obviously goes out the window.
 
There are many many bikes mentioned here as someones idea of a great all-rounder that just wouldn't do it for me. Some are too big and heavy, some too limited in use, others just weren't that great in my experience.

I also have a 73 GT750 duc and I love it but honestly it wouldn't make the top of any of my lists (no offense to you thessler3 :))... The bike that does come very close to the top of the list for all time fun bikes to ride is the CB1100!

I don't know why it pushes all of my buttons but I just love the new CB and have a great time riding it. Is it a perfect all-rounder? no, not even close, but it sure is a lot of fun to ride.

But in the end the obvious conclusion is that there is no perfect all rounder for every rider. we all have different ideas about bikes, handling, style, and performance so each of us has to find our own way.
I'm very comfortable in knowing what is best for me but not so much for others. good luck.
 
I think it also depends on what "ALL" means to the individual making the decision.

I don't do dirt anymore, so having a bike capable of doing dirt means nothing to me. I do tour so the bike has to be reasonably proficient at freeway work. I do day rides, half day rides and errand running so my all arounder has to also be light enough and docile enough for country two lane riding and city one lane duty as well. Plus it has to be comfortable ergo wise, smooth and somewhat efficient with gas, and reasonable to insure.

The CB 1100 comes pretty close to checking all the boxes. If touring wasn't on the list it would be my clear choice. The FZ I mentioned in an earlier post tours better than the CB, has better service intervals, more motor and better brakes, plus it's lighter weight and has a bigger fuel tank.

If dirt was also in my criteria, neither the FZ or CB would be at the top, then I might consider a 650 Wee Stom, 650 Versys , or Tiger 800, but then they would all be weak in the touring category.

Perfect all around motorcycle? Not yet for me.
 
Be real gents no such thing exists and as ferret says it depends on your needs. It is like asking for one gun to do it all, or one dress for a woman, or one pair of shoes. No such thing exists. For sure the large bikes are not it like the Goldwing for the 1600 BMW.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I like to get in the dirt once in a while so I have to say no, a duel sport is just not a good enough road bike to pull off a one bike fits all. the Kawasaki 650 is probably the closest but a little to tall for my 5"7" frame.
The CB1100 is my road choice and the Yamaha XT225 to keep my happy if I need some dirt and pavement
 
Hey FlynBullDog, I was not implying that my GT750 is an ideal bike in today's world. Rather, the GT750 was a great bike for its time and put a big smile on my face when I bought it. It still sits in my garage and I still like the riding position, smooth engine, wide powerband and sound of the bike. The CB1100 hits some of the same buttons. Comfortable, simple, wide power band, etc. Wish more bikes were like it.

I do not like the stepped seats, low gearing, underseat exhausts, etcetera from many of today's sport bikes. Most rear seats are so short and high they are unusable.

My ideal bike would be similar to the CB1100 but with adjustable suspension, small fairing, removable sidecases and make it a bit lighter too. Wishful thinking but no bikes actually fit the bill. Ninja 1000 and FZ1 are close but have those stepped seats I don't like. I rented a CBF1000F with sidecases in Europe for a trip through the Alps. Great bike and I would buy one if they were imported.
 
thessler3_imp said:
Hey FlynBullDog, I was not implying that my GT750 is an ideal bike in today's world. Rather, the GT750 was a great bike for its time and put a big smile on my face when I bought it. It still sits in my garage and I still like the riding position, smooth engine, wide powerband and sound of the bike. The CB1100 hits some of the same buttons. Comfortable, simple, wide power band, etc. Wish more bikes were like it.

I do not like the stepped seats, low gearing, underseat exhausts, etcetera from many of today's sport bikes. Most rear seats are so short and high they are unusable.

My ideal bike would be similar to the CB1100 but with adjustable suspension, small fairing, removable sidecases and make it a bit lighter too. Wishful thinking but no bikes actually fit the bill. Ninja 1000 and FZ1 are close but have those stepped seats I don't like. I rented a CBF1000F with sidecases in Europe for a trip through the Alps. Great bike and I would buy one if they were imported.
One of these? http://www.tesztmotor.hu/images/stories/DennyM/Teszt/Honda_CBF1000F_2010/cbf1000f_2010_12.jpg

I found this in a Hungarian magazine.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
thessler3_imp said:
Hey FlynBullDog, I was not implying that my GT750 is an ideal bike in today's world. Rather, the GT750 was a great bike for its time and put a big smile on my face when I bought it. It still sits in my garage and I still like the riding position, smooth engine, wide powerband and sound of the bike. The CB1100 hits some of the same buttons. Comfortable, simple, wide power band, etc. Wish more bikes were like it.

I do not like the stepped seats, low gearing, underseat exhausts, etcetera from many of today's sport bikes. Most rear seats are so short and high they are unusable.

My ideal bike would be similar to the CB1100 but with adjustable suspension, small fairing, removable sidecases and make it a bit lighter too. Wishful thinking but no bikes actually fit the bill. Ninja 1000 and FZ1 are close but have those stepped seats I don't like. I rented a CBF1000F with sidecases in Europe for a trip through the Alps. Great bike and I would buy one if they were imported.
One of these? http://www.tesztmotor.hu/images/stories/DennyM/Teszt/Honda_CBF1000F_2010/cbf1000f_2010_12.jpg

I found this in a Hungarian magazine.
Probably a very competent motorcycle, but too "modern" looking for me personally.... unless "OUR" CB 1100s were not available... then I would consider something like that.
 
AzBob_imp said:
Mike Bee_imp said:
:thumbsup: My BMW K1600 comes very close. It's smooth & comfortable, fast, handles very well, gets good gas mileage, has a 7 gallon tank and has plenty of luggage that will hold a large helmet. It's a stunning motorcycle. The only downside is the cost of admission.
The price and the weight are both kinda not-so-great. Otherwise, it's an awesome bike. If I remove "going offroad" from my "one bike" criteria, the K1600GT is near the top of the list. Again, it's price kind of hurts it there, though, since the new FJR1300ES competes quite well for thousands less. I would have a hard time paying $28k for a bike when I can pay $10k less for a bike that delivers 9/10's the goods. But if money is no object, than this part of the equation obviously goes out the window.
The price and the weight are both kinda not-so-great. Otherwise, it's an awesome bike. If I remove "going offroad" from my "one bike" criteria, the K1600GT is near the top of the list. Again, it's price kind of hurts it there, though, since the new FJR1300ES competes quite well for thousands less. I would have a hard time paying $28k for a bike when I can pay $10k less for a bike that delivers 9/10's the goods. But if money is no object, than this part of the equation obviously goes out the window.
I too like Yamaha's new ES model. But I believe the price disparity is closer to $17K vs. $22K for the BMW GT. As far as the weight issue goes, my K1600GTL handles more lightly than my CB1100 does. The Beemer gets a more powerful 6-cylinder engine (you should hear it) and a more advanced suspension system. While both bikes are similar, you get what you're willing to pay for. I love my K1600GTL. :heart:

~ The Bee
 
The ferret_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
thessler3_imp said:
Hey FlynBullDog, I was not implying that my GT750 is an ideal bike in today's world. Rather, the GT750 was a great bike for its time and put a big smile on my face when I bought it. It still sits in my garage and I still like the riding position, smooth engine, wide powerband and sound of the bike. The CB1100 hits some of the same buttons. Comfortable, simple, wide power band, etc. Wish more bikes were like it.

I do not like the stepped seats, low gearing, underseat exhausts, etcetera from many of today's sport bikes. Most rear seats are so short and high they are unusable.

My ideal bike would be similar to the CB1100 but with adjustable suspension, small fairing, removable sidecases and make it a bit lighter too. Wishful thinking but no bikes actually fit the bill. Ninja 1000 and FZ1 are close but have those stepped seats I don't like. I rented a CBF1000F with sidecases in Europe for a trip through the Alps. Great bike and I would buy one if they were imported.
One of these? http://www.tesztmotor.hu/images/stories/DennyM/Teszt/Honda_CBF1000F_2010/cbf1000f_2010_12.jpg

I found this in a Hungarian magazine.
Probably a very competent motorcycle, but too "modern" looking for me personally.... unless "OUR" CB 1100s were not available... then I would consider something like that.
Probably a very competent motorcycle, but too "modern" looking for me personally.... unless "OUR" CB 1100s were not available... then I would consider something like that.
Huh... Was just looking again at that European CB1100F again to see just how modern looking it was, and suddenly realized there is a girl standing in the right hand side of the picture. Didn't see her the first time. Honestly! I must be a true motorcycle enthusiast lol
 
Not sure how you could miss that Hungarian lady Ferret.

Yes, the picture is similar to the CBF1000F I rented in Landshut Germany for a week in the alps. The one I rented was fitted with 3 removable Givi cases. I liked the bike a lot and would buy one if imported to the US. The windscreen is adjustable in 3 positions and I found it just the right size for the very cold alpine passes. The motor is water cooled but has power characteristics very similar to the CB1100. I would guess maybe 100HP. Good handling, good brakes (ABS), good gearbox, nice riding position.
 
The ferret_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
thessler3_imp said:
Hey FlynBullDog, I was not implying that my GT750 is an ideal bike in today's world. Rather, the GT750 was a great bike for its time and put a big smile on my face when I bought it. It still sits in my garage and I still like the riding position, smooth engine, wide powerband and sound of the bike. The CB1100 hits some of the same buttons. Comfortable, simple, wide power band, etc. Wish more bikes were like it.

I do not like the stepped seats, low gearing, underseat exhausts, etcetera from many of today's sport bikes. Most rear seats are so short and high they are unusable.

My ideal bike would be similar to the CB1100 but with adjustable suspension, small fairing, removable sidecases and make it a bit lighter too. Wishful thinking but no bikes actually fit the bill. Ninja 1000 and FZ1 are close but have those stepped seats I don't like. I rented a CBF1000F with sidecases in Europe for a trip through the Alps. Great bike and I would buy one if they were imported.
One of these? http://www.tesztmotor.hu/images/stories/DennyM/Teszt/Honda_CBF1000F_2010/cbf1000f_2010_12.jpg

I found this in a Hungarian magazine.
Probably a very competent motorcycle, but too "modern" looking for me personally.... unless "OUR" CB 1100s were not available... then I would consider something like that.
Probably a very competent motorcycle, but too "modern" looking for me personally.... unless "OUR" CB 1100s were not available... then I would consider something like that.
Huh... Was just looking again at that European CB1100F again to see just how modern looking it was, and suddenly realized there is a girl standing in the right hand side of the picture. Didn't see her the first time. Honestly! I must be a true motorcycle enthusiast lol
Probably a very competent motorcycle, but too "modern" looking for me personally.... unless "OUR" CB 1100s were not available... then I would consider something like that.
Huh... Was just looking again at that European CB1100F again to see just how modern looking it was, and suddenly realized there is a girl standing in the right hand side of the picture. Didn't see her the first time. Honestly! I must be a true motorcycle enthusiast lol
Or you've got cataracts? :P
 
Mike Bee - There is nothing smoother than a six. I have ridden a Honda CBX quite a bit and it is very smooth too. I own a Gold Wing which is a boxer six of course. Runs great, reliable, faster than you might expect but 900 pounds. Too big and heavy for an everyday bike on the backroads I ride on. I keep it to keep the lovely wife happy - it is the only bike she will ride on.
 
Back
Top