So. Does the "one bike does all" holy grail exist? What would your pick be?

thessler3_imp said:
Hey FlynBullDog, I was not implying that my GT750 is an ideal bike in today's world. Rather, the GT750 was a great bike for its time and put a big smile on my face when I bought it. It still sits in my garage and I still like the riding position, smooth engine, wide powerband and sound of the bike. The CB1100 hits some of the same buttons. Comfortable, simple, wide power band, etc. Wish more bikes were like it.

I do not like the stepped seats, low gearing, underseat exhausts, etcetera from many of today's sport bikes. Most rear seats are so short and high they are unusable.

My ideal bike would be similar to the CB1100 but with adjustable suspension, small fairing, removable sidecases and make it a bit lighter too. Wishful thinking but no bikes actually fit the bill. Ninja 1000 and FZ1 are close but have those stepped seats I don't like. I rented a CBF1000F with sidecases in Europe for a trip through the Alps. Great bike and I would buy one if they were imported.
I saw a blue 2014 Ninja 1000 with luggage this weekend, still had the dealer tags, it was a very sharp looking bike, in a very different way from our CB1100. I don't know about that seat either, but I would probably give it a shot if I was buying another bike. I ride solo, so it probably would not be a problem.
 
Seats are my biggest gripe about modern bikes. I expect any bike I own to comfortably seat two people. 90% of the modern bikes I see have some tiny triangular pad sitting way up in the air. Additionally, the passenger pegs on those bikes are also so high that your passenger's knees are about level with the front seater's armpits. Who would want to sit on something like that?

Touring and sport touring bikes are the exceptions.
 
thessler3_imp said:
Not sure how you could miss that Hungarian lady Ferret.

Yes, the picture is similar to the CBF1000F I rented in Landshut Germany for a week in the alps. The one I rented was fitted with 3 removable Givi cases. I liked the bike a lot and would buy one if imported to the US. The windscreen is adjustable in 3 positions and I found it just the right size for the very cold alpine passes. The motor is water cooled but has power characteristics very similar to the CB1100. I would guess maybe 100HP. Good handling, good brakes (ABS), good gearbox, nice riding position.
For long times, the CBF1000 (and their little sister CBF600) was one of the best sold Hondas in Germany. But Honda neglected to update the bike here and there and keep it up-to-date. So sales dropped, and finally 2013 the 2 CBFs were taken out of the product portfolio (at least in Germany). :(

We sometimes call such bikes "bread and butter bikes", as they are quite simple, do not outstand but are basic enough for daily food like bread and butter.
Their biggest disadvantage is that such kind of bikes are sometimes too good, which means they are not emotional enough and sometimes even boring. Although they are close to perfect they live in the shadow.
 
ingobohn_imp said:
thessler3_imp said:
Not sure how you could miss that Hungarian lady Ferret.

Yes, the picture is similar to the CBF1000F I rented in Landshut Germany for a week in the alps. The one I rented was fitted with 3 removable Givi cases. I liked the bike a lot and would buy one if imported to the US. The windscreen is adjustable in 3 positions and I found it just the right size for the very cold alpine passes. The motor is water cooled but has power characteristics very similar to the CB1100. I would guess maybe 100HP. Good handling, good brakes (ABS), good gearbox, nice riding position.
For long times, the CBF1000 (and their little sister CBF600) was one of the best sold Hondas in Germany. But Honda neglected to update the bike here and there and keep it up-to-date. So sales dropped, and finally 2013 the 2 CBFs were taken out of the product portfolio (at least in Germany). :(

We sometimes call such bikes "bread and butter bikes", as they are quite simple, do not outstand but are basic enough for daily food like bread and butter.
Their biggest disadvantage is that such kind of bikes are sometimes too good, which means they are not emotional enough and sometimes even boring. Although they are close to perfect they live in the shadow.
Ingobohn, Honda released the CB650F this year in the U.S., is it perhaps based on the CBF600?

I thought the bike in the picture with the model looked similar, here is a pic:


I agree with those that say there can't be one, do it all bike. A good dirt bike will not be a good street bike, and vice-versa.

Our CB1100 is not great at any one thing, but it is a good bike for everyday use. That is, of course, what UJM's are for.

My idea of the best possible bike, at least for people like me, (one bike owners), is the bike, (whatever it is), that is parked in your garage, or driveway, or wherever you are keeping it. The bike that you can take out for a ride when you desire is the best bike you can have. :beerchug:

Cheers
 
That CB650F should fit the bill for many riders. A more naked version would be nice. The numbers are almost identical to the FZ8, but the bike is quite low-tech across the board. It's more similar in its intent to the FZR600, but it's odd how the curb weight of the 650F is identical to the FZ8 (no longer offered as a new model but quite a few 2012/2013 still around but going fast). It's 467 lbs fully-fueled. Even the wheelbase and steering geometry are very similar, it's long and pretty lazy but with plenty of trail to give it good low-speed handling. The FZ8 has a much more sophisticated aluminum chassis, four-piston front brake calipers, and a lot more power, but I'd suspect the majority of riders who are looking at this as a second or third bike (even a first bike) will be very content to the point of being tickled blue. Peak HP is nearly the same as our CB1100, but it is 63 pounds lighter. It's tuned for torque (like the FZR600 was) which also helps rideability a great deal.

If I was still in my first few years of riding this bike would absolutely do it all. I doubt I would find anything to complain about. Now I've become jaded and expect a lot more from my machinery, but in a naked version, I'd look closely at this machine. Strap on some soft luggage and it'd be a fine sport-touring machine and would serve well on weekend rides or for commuting, and it'd look good in the garage or carport.
 
Red Mist_imp said:
That CB650F should fit the bill for many riders. A more naked version would be nice. The numbers are almost identical to the FZ8, but the bike is quite low-tech across the board. It's more similar in its intent to the FZR600, but it's odd how the curb weight of the 650F is identical to the FZ8 (no longer offered as a new model but quite a few 2012/2013 still around but going fast). It's 467 lbs fully-fueled. Even the wheelbase and steering geometry are very similar, it's long and pretty lazy but with plenty of trail to give it good low-speed handling. The FZ8 has a much more sophisticated aluminum chassis, four-piston front brake calipers, and a lot more power, but I'd suspect the majority of riders who are looking at this as a second or third bike (even a first bike) will be very content to the point of being tickled blue. Peak HP is nearly the same as our CB1100, but it is 63 pounds lighter. It's tuned for torque (like the FZR600 was) which also helps rideability a great deal.

If I was still in my first few years of riding this bike would absolutely do it all. I doubt I would find anything to complain about. Now I've become jaded and expect a lot more from my machinery, but in a naked version, I'd look closely at this machine. Strap on some soft luggage and it'd be a fine sport-touring machine and would serve well on weekend rides or for commuting, and it'd look good in the garage or carport.
Yep, it's a very nice looking bike, I'm almost glad it wasn't available last year. It is right on the price point I was looking to pay. I would certainly have given the CB650F very strong consideration. I was looking at the FZ-09 as well, but didn't like the styling. The new Honda looks much better. Particularly the 4 into 1 pipes. :D

I am very happy with my CB1100, but I may have gone with the CB650F for the price, I wasn't looking at the 1100 at first because I didn't want to spend 10k. (Glad I did, though).
 
For a wander-lust moron like me, this is quite literally the most emotionally dangerous, financially disastrous question imaginable. Doesn't matter whether it's bikes or guitars, this question has always been the bane of my existence.

Once upon a time, back before my neck had to be reconstructed and I was able to ride even full-on race bikes all day in no-problem comfort, I had no difficulty in answering this question: a 2000 (yellow) or 2001 (red) VFR, with removable hard luggage. To this day, my '94 VFR and 2000 VFR remain my all-time favorite bikes, and I was happy doing all my riding on them.

Now? Gah. These days, I have to prioritize a decidedly upright seating position, which rules out 90% of what would otherwise be my favorite bikes. Among the current crop of bikes, money-no-object, I'd probably go for one of these: Super Duke GT, R1250R with hard bags, R1250RT, or maybe a Ninja 1000. Each of these options have negatives for me. The SD GT is seriously ugly, and I probably wouldn't get along with its windshield. The R1250R is kinda ugly too, especially the headlight, and it still weighs too much. The R1250RT is much bigger and heavier than I would prefer now. The Ninja 1000 might be too buzzy, the windshield might be too noisy, the seating position might be a hair too aggressive for me, and the bike is a bit tall and unwieldy for me.

Probably the R1250R with bags and no windshield is the safest bet for me as a do-everything, one-bike-only choice.

Otherwise, my Holy Grail could easily be my 2017 CB1100 EX, with these (admittedly impossible) revisions: 125 fewer pounds; 25 more hp; 10-ft-lbs more torque; 17" wheels with standard-sized, tubeless tires; 5.5-gallon tank; shaft drive; quick-detach hard bags.

Yep, the R1250R comes the closest, with the Super Duke GT and Ninja 1000 vying for the silver medal. The thing is, even though the BMW comes the closest, it really doesn't come very close.

Okay, this would do it. Take the new KTM 790 Duke. Give it shaft drive. Give it hard bags, heated grips, less hideous mirror stalks, and a conventional-looking exhaust pipe. Fix the low-speed fueling. Get the seat height down to Z900 territory. Somehow convince me of its long-term reliability.

Bam, that would work. Or, simply lower the tailsection of the Z900 to where it's in line with the seat, add hard bags, shaft drive, heated grips, and light up both headlights on low beam. Maybe pull the bars back a bit, so there is less forward lean. Move the pegs a skosh forward.

Yep, thusly modified, either the KTM or Kawi would cover all my bases. Since neither of those bikes will ever receive shaft drive, I suppose the R1250R is the best I can hope for in the real world. I just wish it was lighter and prettier. Since money is always an object for me, cheaper would be great, too.
 
A zombie thread, resurrected, but a good one. Now with the perspective of owning a 2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, I can play along. The MS is magnificent. Everything it does, it does well, and is comfortable, tractable, fast, and beautifully put together. I'd get on it tomorrow and go cross country, and in 'urban' mode, it's a 100BHP pussycat for around town and mild green lining. Love it.

That being said, if I had to go into my dotage with only one bike, it would still likely be the TRIUMPH TIGER 800. Lighter than the CB, balanced, tractable, wonderful engine, bulletproof, and grading on the ADV curve, attractive. OK, I'd have to have a modern classic/ retro as well, so maybe another CB or a Thrux, or an Enfield or a...darn it, I can't play this game, I quit...
 
DAC_imp said:
Another happy VFR owner here. Very capable machine. I sport ride, tour and commute on mine as well. Wouldn't put it in the "one bike does all" list though. It's positioned more to the "sport" side of sport/touring. The riding position means that touring days that go over 400 miles will leave you a bit sore. The touring angle means it's sort of heavy for sportbike duty. Design compromises. But there is nothing quite like the sound of a V4 when it's ridden with purpose.

I'm looking for the CB1100 DLX to be my all-rounder. I'm hoping it'll let me sit upright and not concern myself with strafing corners trying to stay with guys that think they're the next Rossi. It looks like it can be set up to be a good commuter, tourer, weekend back road runner or whatever. And, hopefully, it'll have enough torque to keep a smile on my face.
What year is your VFR. It takes all my willpower to not just go buy one.
 
VLJ, your former VFRs are a great pick. You'd hate the engine, but the F800GT checks most of your boxes too: 450 lbs.- ish, 90 hp, 17" wheels, keyed factory bags, heated grips, maintenance-free belt (not shaft), decent screen, real-world ergos, good looks (subjective), 3-year warranty. That said, I'm not suggesting you rush out and buy one, because once you finished cursing the engine, you'd curse the suspension (though I'm fine with it).
 
Capo_imp said:
A zombie thread, resurrected, but a good one. Now with the perspective of owning a 2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, I can play along. The MS is magnificent. Everything it does, it does well, and is comfortable, tractable, fast, and beautifully put together. I'd get on it tomorrow and go cross country, and in 'urban' mode, it's a 100BHP pussycat for around town and mild green lining. Love it.

That being said, if I had to go into my dotage with only one bike, it would still likely be the TRIUMPH TIGER 800. Lighter than the CB, balanced, tractable, wonderful engine, bulletproof, and grading on the ADV curve, attractive. OK, I'd have to have a modern classic/ retro as well, so maybe another CB or a Thrux, or an Enfield or a...darn it, I can't play this game, I quit...
The Enfield is a nice and good motorbike that fit well together with the CB. If I only have to keep one motorbike, I'll likely keep the W800? Or the Enfield? The CB? No I can't make decision, I keep all three. I'm out of this mind game.

Wisedrum
 
jitaylor_imp said:
DAC_imp said:
Another happy VFR owner here. Very capable machine. I sport ride, tour and commute on mine as well. Wouldn't put it in the "one bike does all" list though. It's positioned more to the "sport" side of sport/touring. The riding position means that touring days that go over 400 miles will leave you a bit sore. The touring angle means it's sort of heavy for sportbike duty. Design compromises. But there is nothing quite like the sound of a V4 when it's ridden with purpose.

I'm looking for the CB1100 DLX to be my all-rounder. I'm hoping it'll let me sit upright and not concern myself with strafing corners trying to stay with guys that think they're the next Rossi. It looks like it can be set up to be a good commuter, tourer, weekend back road runner or whatever. And, hopefully, it'll have enough torque to keep a smile on my face.
What year is your VFR. It takes all my willpower to not just go buy one.
What year is your VFR. It takes all my willpower to not just go buy one.
Wow. Old thread. The VFR, a 2004 6th gen, is long gone. Great bike but for a 55 year-old not so much. If your body can handle it, there are new non-currents available for $7k. No joke.
 
I might would go with a Multistrada if I didn’t already have an ST1300.
 
LongRanger, I was never into the older F800 models, but this new batch they just brought out has piqued my interest. I'm still not a fan of the basic aesthetic, but, from all accounts, BMW has eliminated or at least greatly minimized the main complaint most people had about the old bike: excessive vibration from the motor.

Assuming this to be true, yes, the F800 should be a bike that falls within the sweet spot of a lot of people here. It's not too heavy, it's functional, comfortable, and at least powerful enough, if not exactly thrilling. Belt drive is close enough to shaft drive, I suppose, and the new version doesn't look quite so Nerdy Effeminate, like some black turtleneck-wearing, cloves-smoking, Antifa-protesting, shower-avoiding, employment-loathing, spotty Teutonic yoot.
 
The F800ST would have been a fantastic bike....quite possibly as close to the "do everything" bike as I could get. There is no such thing, however....it's just not possible.
I did just notice that BMW has apparently ended its relationship with Rotax, and discontinued the F800 program. Poor sales I wonder?

I enjoyed the bike when it worked, but I bought the bike well-before BMW worked out the kinks. Too many problems for a new bike.
Lastly, I'll admit I was never a fan of the 360-degree parallel twin. I think it's generally a bad engine design to begin with.
 
Back
Top