So. Does the "one bike does all" holy grail exist? What would your pick be?

Romo1969_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I made this comment below in regard to sixth gear and it got me thinking. Many of you and myself yearn for a one bike does all. Some not so much as you have a style of riding you like and your bike does it perfect.
I has a 650gsxf (originally bought as a spare bike to keep at a beach condo) I used as single do all duty for a while after realizing its versatility. But style wise. Wanted more retro.
I choose to have multiple bikes for now.
But if it was one. What would it be???
What is your ultimate Swiss army equivalent in a moto?

My comment below

Depends on the riders opinion I suppose. I personally find 6th gear not necessary but if someone was wanting to do some more touring or significant highway driving I would imagine it would be helpful. People will use this bike for a wide range of riding but I'd think there would be better choices for touring or highway driving.

My cb is really an around towner and short day ride duty. For other rides I'd pick one of its stable mates. I suppose with a 6th gear one could really make it a one bike does all. Sort of. Depending how comfy the cb would be on long rides.
My wife and I did a fairly intense ride for just a few hours and she remarked our other bike (sport tour) being much more comfortable for her on a ride like that.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
The only bike I could live with as my one and only, and then only if my wife quit riding, would be a Gen 1 FZ-1 Yamaha which was quite comfortable, light weight, scary fast, awesome brakes, decent wind protection, 6 speed trans, 125 hp, 26,0000 mile valve checks, almost 6 gallon tank, and a reputation to go 200,000 miles reliably. I have been lucky enough to own 2 of them. Awesome bikes. Good for solo sport touring, spirited curve riding and chugging around town.

Funny thing is I sold one of those awesome motorcycles to buy my CB 1100 :rolleyes:
 
In my case, I really can't justify the expense of multiple bikes. If I had a second bike it would probably be a sport touring bike, (I like that new Ninja 1000).

When I was looking for a bike, the cost of the bike was, of course, the first consideration. My maximum was $10000, but I was really looking for something around $8000. With that perspective, the CB1100 was far and away the best choice, due in large part to it's versatility, nothing else in that price range can touch it.

Considering the kind of riding I do, around town on my route; Sunday afternoon rides on a twisty road; some day trips, and the occasional weekend road trip; the CB1100 is the perfect "do it all bike" for me.

The concept of the UJM is that you start with a base platform and make it what you want it to be. The CB shines in that role, with the right accessories it can be a credible bike for one-up trips, it makes a very sharp cafe bike, the possibilities are many.

On the other hand, we all like to do different things, this is why there are so many specialized bikes these days, in the day of the UJM, you were forced to modify your bike to be what you wanted, because what you wanted probably didn't exist, at least not on the showroom floor.

I had to find the "do it all" bike for me on account of financial restraints, and it is the CB. Others might want an adventure bike, or a dedicated sport touring bike. Those whom can afford it will have multiple bikes. To each his/her own.

The fun part is, we are all riding. :beerchug:
 
davidsargee_imp said:
In my case, I really can't justify the expense of multiple bikes. If I had a second bike it would probably be a sport touring bike, (I like that new Ninja 1000).

When I was looking for a bike, the cost of the bike was, of course, the first consideration. My maximum was $10000, but I was really looking for something around $8000. With that perspective, the CB1100 was far and away the best choice, due in large part to it's versatility, nothing else in that price range can touch it.

Considering the kind of riding I do, around town on my route; Sunday afternoon rides on a twisty road; some day trips, and the occasional weekend road trip; the CB1100 is the perfect "do it all bike" for me.

The concept of the UJM is that you start with a base platform and make it what you want it to be. The CB shines in that role, with the right accessories it can be a credible bike for one-up trips, it makes a very sharp cafe bike, the possibilities are many.

On the other hand, we all like to do different things, this is why there are so many specialized bikes these days, in the day of the UJM, you were forced to modify your bike to be what you wanted, because what you wanted probably didn't exist, at least not on the showroom floor.

I had to find the "do it all" bike for me on account of financial restraints, and it is the CB. Others might want an adventure bike, or a dedicated sport touring bike. Those whom can afford it will have multiple bikes. To each his/her own.

The fun part is, we are all riding. :beerchug:
I couldn't agree more. I've always been a UJM fan just because they were the ideal multi-purpose, practical bike. My CB750 was my "do it all" bike until the CB11 came out.

From riding around town, to day trips in the twisties, to long haul road trips. The standard UJM is pretty versatile.
 
I hear good things about the vstrom 650, decent mileage, large enough to tour on yet slim enough for filtering through city traffic. No the perfect bike but one I want try out one day.
 
F800ST. Light, fast, good torque and HP, perfect for ass-hauling sport-touring and can handle two-up as well. R1200 is much too big. That new BMW R Nine T would also be a candidate. 110 HP and 88 lbs/ft of torque, only 489 lbs curb weight. I'm happy with my CB1100 as far as a retrobike goes, and I like the inline fours real well, so I won't be looking too closely at that Boxer but I've seen a lot of them around lately.
 
I have only one bike, the CB1100 and I can't afford any others. So, for the moment at least, it has to be my Swiss Army Pocketknife of a bike.
 
Do everything bikes exist. They're just not that exciting. The NT700 and NC700X are good examples. Very capable bikes that are flexible, just no "personality."
 
Forget "one bike does it all", the CB1100 is my only vehicle. It takes me to work during the week, has fun on the weekend, goes grocery shopping, takes me out for dates. I've ridden 400 mile days and will do it again. FZ1, Ninja 1000, VFR800 would fit the bill, but I'm not finding many faults with the CB. Maybe the valve check frequency? I'm pretty content.
 
kevbroce_imp said:
Forget "one bike does it all", the CB1100 is my only vehicle. It takes me to work during the week, has fun on the weekend, goes grocery shopping, takes me out for dates. I've ridden 400 mile days and will do it again. FZ1, Ninja 1000, VFR800 would fit the bill, but I'm not finding many faults with the CB. Maybe the valve check frequency? I'm pretty content.
Please refresh my memory. What is the valve check frequency?
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
kevbroce_imp said:
Forget "one bike does it all", the CB1100 is my only vehicle. It takes me to work during the week, has fun on the weekend, goes grocery shopping, takes me out for dates. I've ridden 400 mile days and will do it again. FZ1, Ninja 1000, VFR800 would fit the bill, but I'm not finding many faults with the CB. Maybe the valve check frequency? I'm pretty content.
Please refresh my memory. What is the valve check frequency?
Please refresh my memory. What is the valve check frequency?
Per the service manual, page 3-4:

Inspect at 8000, 16000, and 24000 miles.
 
Thread starter
DAC_imp said:
Do everything bikes exist. They're just not that exciting. The NT700 and NC700X are good examples. Very capable bikes that are flexible, just no "personality."
Which is why they really aren't a do it all. Style matters. :-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ferret & Popgun,
Thank you. That does seem a little too often.

It reminds me of a Toyota I had. The dealer said I had to have the valve clearance checked to keep my warrantee valid. It had mostly highway miles and I could tell by the sound it didn't need it. They signed it off (IIRC, the service cost $80). When I got home, I noticed they weren't even smart enough to wipe the dust off the valve cover nuts they never removed. Well, at least it proved I was right, that it didn't need to be checked.
 
The KLR crowd might suggest that their bike might be the one. As an
owner, I'd have to disagree. The big single just can't cut it on the hwy.
I've never owned a BMW GS1200 Adventure, but I've read about them,
seen them in movies, and have a friend who owns one. I bet that
bike would be the 'one ' you'd want for the one bike garage.
 
No such thing yet.

4360d341995c68d58a8fb2d5285e5489.jpg

82b5b25e8f616858d1848cf8b5f5537b.jpg
 
ride4now_imp said:
The KLR crowd might suggest that their bike might be the one. As an
owner, I'd have to disagree. The big single just can't cut it on the hwy.
I've never owned a BMW GS1200 Adventure, but I've read about them,
seen them in movies, and have a friend who owns one. I bet that
bike would be the 'one ' you'd want for the one bike garage.
Before you run out and buy a late model BMW, it would be wise to do some research. I rode BMW's for 40 years. These new bikes aren't the bikes they were in the old days. I could tell you some stories.....
There are some good reasons BMW was rated last in Consumer Reports reliability data, even lower than H-D. I used to love BMW's. Oh, for the good 'ol days!
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
The KLR crowd might suggest that their bike might be the one. As an
owner, I'd have to disagree. The big single just can't cut it on the hwy.
I've never owned a BMW GS1200 Adventure, but I've read about them,
seen them in movies, and have a friend who owns one. I bet that
bike would be the 'one ' you'd want for the one bike garage.
Before you run out and buy a late model BMW, it would be wise to do some research. I rode BMW's for 40 years. These new bikes aren't the bikes they were in the old days. I could tell you some stories.....
There are some good reasons BMW was rated last in Consumer Reports reliability data, even lower than H-D. I used to love BMW's. Oh, for the good 'ol days!
Before you run out and buy a late model BMW, it would be wise to do some research. I rode BMW's for 40 years. These new bikes aren't the bikes they were in the old days. I could tell you some stories.....
There are some good reasons BMW was rated last in Consumer Reports reliability data, even lower than H-D. I used to love BMW's. Oh, for the good 'ol days!
Thanks... but no worry's. I'm waiting on my new 14 Dlx to be delivered
That'll keep me busy for a while.
 
ride4now_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
The KLR crowd might suggest that their bike might be the one. As an
owner, I'd have to disagree. The big single just can't cut it on the hwy.
I've never owned a BMW GS1200 Adventure, but I've read about them,
seen them in movies, and have a friend who owns one. I bet that
bike would be the 'one ' you'd want for the one bike garage.
Before you run out and buy a late model BMW, it would be wise to do some research. I rode BMW's for 40 years. These new bikes aren't the bikes they were in the old days. I could tell you some stories.....
There are some good reasons BMW was rated last in Consumer Reports reliability data, even lower than H-D. I used to love BMW's. Oh, for the good 'ol days!
Before you run out and buy a late model BMW, it would be wise to do some research. I rode BMW's for 40 years. These new bikes aren't the bikes they were in the old days. I could tell you some stories.....
There are some good reasons BMW was rated last in Consumer Reports reliability data, even lower than H-D. I used to love BMW's. Oh, for the good 'ol days!
Thanks... but no worry's. I'm waiting on my new 14 Dlx to be delivered
That'll keep me busy for a while.
Before you run out and buy a late model BMW, it would be wise to do some research. I rode BMW's for 40 years. These new bikes aren't the bikes they were in the old days. I could tell you some stories.....
There are some good reasons BMW was rated last in Consumer Reports reliability data, even lower than H-D. I used to love BMW's. Oh, for the good 'ol days!
Thanks... but no worry's. I'm waiting on my new 14 Dlx to be delivered
That'll keep me busy for a while. To each his own, but for me, my 1998 VFR 800 fits the "one bike does it all" very well, as far as a "street" bike goes. I've owned it since new, and have covered over 94,000 miles on it now. It's sporty enough to ride the canyons on weekends with my buddies who are on an RC51, a Yamaha R6, and a CBR600R (I have no problem keeping up with them). I've taken 3,000 mile in 10 days two-up trips, and have ridden it two-up from San Diego to Monterey Ca. six times now. I have soft luggage that I drape across the seat, and use a tank bag. My wife still takes Sunday afternoon 100 - 200+ mile rides on the back with me, and it's a good commuter also. I bought this bike because I wanted something sporty, but able to take a passenger on and tour on also. I ordered the 2014 DLX only because I'm in love with the looks, and it's time to slow down a little and smell the roses when the wife and I take our Sunday afternoon rides. I sure hope the CB1100 doesn't disappoint, but I'll never sell the VFR because I'll still do rides with my buddies on their sport bikes (the wife doesn't go on these rides).
 
Back
Top