So. Does the "one bike does all" holy grail exist? What would your pick be?

Another happy VFR owner here. Very capable machine. I sport ride, tour and commute on mine as well. Wouldn't put it in the "one bike does all" list though. It's positioned more to the "sport" side of sport/touring. The riding position means that touring days that go over 400 miles will leave you a bit sore. The touring angle means it's sort of heavy for sportbike duty. Design compromises. But there is nothing quite like the sound of a V4 when it's ridden with purpose.

I'm looking for the CB1100 DLX to be my all-rounder. I'm hoping it'll let me sit upright and not concern myself with strafing corners trying to stay with guys that think they're the next Rossi. It looks like it can be set up to be a good commuter, tourer, weekend back road runner or whatever. And, hopefully, it'll have enough torque to keep a smile on my face.
 
Every bike does all. The best touring bike is whichever bike you currently own. Same can be said of the best sportbike and cruiser.
Robert Pirsig and son rode with several hundred pounds of gear from Minnesota to California in ZAMM on a little Honda 350 (or maybe it was a 305?)

d905c59513aa7f9de8b2c5faea32b808.jpg
 
Thats a 305 Superhawk in the picture. CB 77

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done lol
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
I have heard nothing but good about the vfr 800.
I have heard bad. VTEC bad, comes on hard suddenly like a turbocharger mid-corner. New one is supposed to be better, and a little lighter. I had four of the earlier VF and VFRs and they were great. Once it became an 800 touring bike I crossed it off my list and never owned another Honda V4. It used to be a sport/racebike but morphed into a touring bike.
ride4now_imp said:
The KLR crowd might suggest that their bike might be the one. As an
owner, I'd have to disagree. The big single just can't cut it on the hwy.
I've never owned a BMW GS1200 Adventure, but I've read about them,
seen them in movies, and have a friend who owns one. I bet that
bike would be the 'one ' you'd want for the one bike garage.
Agree, have owned a few KLRs. Too anemic to really take on a long ride with any authority in traffic, not bad on a fire road, suspension sucks. F700GS, well, no comparison at all. The 1200 is heavy, very heavy.
DAC_imp said:
Do everything bikes exist. They're just not that exciting. The NT700 and NC700X are good examples. Very capable bikes that are flexible, just no "personality."
Problem with those bikes is they really have low-grade suspension and brakes. Not much in the way of motor either. They are commuter bikes or for entry or near-entry level riders.

One bike that can do it all MUST have excellent suspension and brakes and a good, flexible engine with a broad, usable power band.

Do it all bike, needs 80-120 HP at the rear wheel. Should be between 450-550 pounds, with high-quality, adjustable suspension for preload, compression, and rebound damping at both ends. Riding position should be reasonable. Fuel tank capacity range should be around 175-200 miles to fumes. Some adventure bikes fit the bill (F700/800GS), some naked bikes as well (CB1000, R Nine T, and FZ8 come to mind), some sport-tourers even (VFR800).
 
I have VTEC on my Honda 150 outboard. When it kicks in HOLY MOLY(how do you spell that?) and fuel use goes way up. I can see where it could be a problem on a motorcycle.
 
Purely in terms of versatility, I'd go with my Tiger 800. It really does do everything well. All day comfort, great triple motor, handles well, especially with sport touring rubber. Weighs under 500 lbs. if I was forced to go to a one bike garage, and planned on doing some long distance riding, I'd keep that. With a photo of the CB1100 next to my bed.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Thats a 305 Superhawk in the picture. CB 77

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done lol
Lol. I agree.
But how cool as heck is it to just know a father and sun did this. This is what our american culture is all about and a big part of the soul of what riding means to so many of us.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Capo_imp said:
Purely in terms of versatility, I'd go with my Tiger 800. It really does do everything well. All day comfort, great triple motor, handles well, especially with sport touring rubber. Weighs under 500 lbs. if I was forced to go to a one bike garage, and planned on doing some long distance riding, I'd keep that. With a photo of the CB1100 next to my bed.
I'm inclined to think a vfr might be something close based on what I see here. Tiger? Well. If your tall. Maybe. Especially the 800. But around town on and off a tiger. No thank you. When you saddle that horse you want to drain the tank. Then it makes sense. IMO of course.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Romo1969_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Thats a 305 Superhawk in the picture. CB 77

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done lol
Lol. I agree.
But how cool as heck is it to just know a father and sun did this. This is what our american culture is all about and a big part of the soul of what riding means to so many of us.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Capo_imp said:
Purely in terms of versatility, I'd go with my Tiger 800. It really does do everything well. All day comfort, great triple motor, handles well, especially with sport touring rubber. Weighs under 500 lbs. if I was forced to go to a one bike garage, and planned on doing some long distance riding, I'd keep that. With a photo of the CB1100 next to my bed.
I'm inclined to think a vfr might be something close based on what I see here. Tiger? Well. If your tall. Maybe. Especially the 800. But around town on and off a tiger. No thank you. When you saddle that horse you want to drain the tank. Then it makes sense. IMO of course.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lol. I agree.
But how cool as heck is it to just know a father and sun did this. This is what our american culture is all about and a big part of the soul of what riding means to so many of us.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Capo_imp said:
Purely in terms of versatility, I'd go with my Tiger 800. It really does do everything well. All day comfort, great triple motor, handles well, especially with sport touring rubber. Weighs under 500 lbs. if I was forced to go to a one bike garage, and planned on doing some long distance riding, I'd keep that. With a photo of the CB1100 next to my bed.
I'm inclined to think a vfr might be something close based on what I see here. Tiger? Well. If your tall. Maybe. Especially the 800. But around town on and off a tiger. No thank you. When you saddle that horse you want to drain the tank. Then it makes sense. IMO of course.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm 5'8" and with the low comfort seat the Tiger height is not an issue. And I don't like 'tall bikes.' Very comfortable riding position and unlike a VFR you can stand on the pegs and move the bike around at very slow speeds.
 
Thread starter
Capo_imp said:
Romo1969_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Thats a 305 Superhawk in the picture. CB 77

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done lol
Lol. I agree.
But how cool as heck is it to just know a father and sun did this. This is what our american culture is all about and a big part of the soul of what riding means to so many of us.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Capo_imp said:
Purely in terms of versatility, I'd go with my Tiger 800. It really does do everything well. All day comfort, great triple motor, handles well, especially with sport touring rubber. Weighs under 500 lbs. if I was forced to go to a one bike garage, and planned on doing some long distance riding, I'd keep that. With a photo of the CB1100 next to my bed.
I'm inclined to think a vfr might be something close based on what I see here. Tiger? Well. If your tall. Maybe. Especially the 800. But around town on and off a tiger. No thank you. When you saddle that horse you want to drain the tank. Then it makes sense. IMO of course.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lol. I agree.
But how cool as heck is it to just know a father and sun did this. This is what our american culture is all about and a big part of the soul of what riding means to so many of us.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Capo_imp said:
Purely in terms of versatility, I'd go with my Tiger 800. It really does do everything well. All day comfort, great triple motor, handles well, especially with sport touring rubber. Weighs under 500 lbs. if I was forced to go to a one bike garage, and planned on doing some long distance riding, I'd keep that. With a photo of the CB1100 next to my bed.
I'm inclined to think a vfr might be something close based on what I see here. Tiger? Well. If your tall. Maybe. Especially the 800. But around town on and off a tiger. No thank you. When you saddle that horse you want to drain the tank. Then it makes sense. IMO of course.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm 5'8" and with the low comfort seat the Tiger height is not an issue. And I don't like 'tall bikes.' Very comfortable riding position and unlike a VFR you can stand on the pegs and move the bike around at very slow speeds.
Lol. I agree.
But how cool as heck is it to just know a father and sun did this. This is what our american culture is all about and a big part of the soul of what riding means to so many of us.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Capo_imp said:
Purely in terms of versatility, I'd go with my Tiger 800. It really does do everything well. All day comfort, great triple motor, handles well, especially with sport touring rubber. Weighs under 500 lbs. if I was forced to go to a one bike garage, and planned on doing some long distance riding, I'd keep that. With a photo of the CB1100 next to my bed.
I'm inclined to think a vfr might be something close based on what I see here. Tiger? Well. If your tall. Maybe. Especially the 800. But around town on and off a tiger. No thank you. When you saddle that horse you want to drain the tank. Then it makes sense. IMO of course.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm 5'8" and with the low comfort seat the Tiger height is not an issue. And I don't like 'tall bikes.' Very comfortable riding position and unlike a VFR you can stand on the pegs and move the bike around at very slow speeds.
O crapola. I thought you said vstrom. Yes. The tiger is a great height. And to be honest would rank up high as a do aller IMO. Although I'd enjoy the added aero design on the vfr for longer rides.
Darn it. Now I need 4 bikes!!! Lol


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
DAC_imp said:
Another happy VFR owner here. Very capable machine. I sport ride, tour and commute on mine as well. Wouldn't put it in the "one bike does all" list though. It's positioned more to the "sport" side of sport/touring. The riding position means that touring days that go over 400 miles will leave you a bit sore. The touring angle means it's sort of heavy for sportbike duty. Design compromises. But there is nothing quite like the sound of a V4 when it's ridden with purpose.

I'm looking for the CB1100 DLX to be my all-rounder. I'm hoping it'll let me sit upright and not concern myself with strafing corners trying to stay with guys that think they're the next Rossi. It looks like it can be set up to be a good commuter, tourer, weekend back road runner or whatever. And, hopefully, it'll have enough torque to keep a smile on my face.
It does all of those things for me, upright seating position, handles surprisingly well, and has gobs of torque.
 
CB1100 does it for me as an all rounder, certainly for my wife who controls the purse strings, and like the Aussieflyer machine it could take me back to the cafe racers of my "yoof" in the UK. Messers Seeley, Degens and Harris made a fortune from me!
 
I know Seely and harris were frame makers and specialty parts. Not familiar with Degens?
 
The ferret_imp said:
I know Seely and harris were frame makers and specialty parts. Not familiar with Degens?
Dave Degens is the man behind Dresda Tritons, also produced kit for other machines. I had a Dresda GT750 Suzuki for a while.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I have only one bike, the CB1100 and I can't afford any others. So, for the moment at least, it has to be my Swiss Army Pocketknife of a bike.
+1 Cormanus, my sentiments exactly. Can't afford more than one. Does what I need and looks good doing it.

BTW, I recently changed cable providers and I sure am missing Australian rules football. Finally starting to understand it. Now, if I could just understand cricket...
 
I've owned 50+ bikes, sport, touring, UJM's, by far the best all around bike is my 1999 Honda XX Blackbird. The finest bike in my opinion ever built. The 1999 was an unrestricted model that has the smoothest acceleration of any bike I've ever ridden. This is your do everything bike.

This bike with its long wheelbase jumps out of the hole and is probably one of the fastest 1/4 bikes out there. I've raced my buddies 2011 CB1000RR out of the hole and i get him every time while he try's to keep his wheel down. He doesn't start coming on me till about 150mph.

This bike is most comfortable above 70mph from there it just gets smoother. Its also right at home around town. I have taken this bike, my ST1300 & Connie( Kawi ) from NY to NC 640 mi door to door, the XX wins this trip every time. You get a little tired on the touring bikes, the XX leave you fresh wanting to buzz through traffic, just a fun bike to ride.
 
Like some of you I've owned dozens of bikes and own 10 or 11 right now. I could without a doubt live with just one bike to do it all and it does it all better than anything I've ever experienced.
My 2nd gen 1200 Ducati Multistrada...

It's fast,160 HP, handles like a sportbike, its as comfortable as a tourer - even two up, nimble around town, and gets 42 - 44 mpg. You can load it with gear for a month or take it to the track and embarrass gixers. And, it doesn't do too bad off road.
With a set TKC's it'll do anything a GS will do. I've had it a mile deep in the Utah canyon lands and atop a 14,000 ft mountain at Pikes Peak and mount Evans. I jump on it for a quick errand into town and spend the next week on a 1500 mile adventure.

The multi won the pikes peak hill climb 3 years in a row and set new records each consecutive year and it's been used to tour around the world.

Yep, I love my collection of bikes but I truly could live with just the Multistrada its a real "do anything" bike

e2b213bd89c66f3cca6948e0dd236644.jpg


39d8cc311438b3602b5bebb8b6121d05.jpg


a0c16f662aed3660b7cba23195a5add4.jpg


ea64e702f1e0ab7527c866fb54b92626.jpg


a56a71ee35c48163b9785cb99829cdae.jpg
 
Thread starter
Flynbulldog_imp said:
Like some of you I've owned dozens of bikes and own 10 or 11 right now. I could without a doubt live with just one bike to do it all and it does it all better than anything I've ever experienced.
My 2nd gen 1200 Ducati Multistrada...

It's fast,160 HP, handles like a sportbike, its as comfortable as a tourer - even two up, nimble around town, and gets 42 - 44 mpg. You can load it with gear for a month or take it to the track and embarrass gixers. And, it doesn't do too bad off road.
With a set TKC's it'll do anything a GS will do. I've had it a mile deep in the Utah canyon lands and atop a 14,000 ft mountain at Pikes Peak and mount Evans. I jump on it for a quick errand into town and spend the next week on a 1500 mile adventure.

The multi won the pikes peak hill climb 3 years in a row and set new records each consecutive year and it's been used to tour around the world.

Yep, I love my collection of bikes but I truly could live with just the Multistrada its a real "do anything" bike

e2b213bd89c66f3cca6948e0dd236644.jpg


39d8cc311438b3602b5bebb8b6121d05.jpg


a0c16f662aed3660b7cba23195a5add4.jpg


ea64e702f1e0ab7527c866fb54b92626.jpg


a56a71ee35c48163b9785cb99829cdae.jpg
Ugh. Really? Self edifying posts are such a waste of our time. Bla bla. I have 20 bikes.
FYI
Nobody cares.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I care. I like hearing opinions from experienced riders.

Romo, I don't know if you are just trying to stir things up, but I am asking you again to play nice.
 
Back
Top