Smooth shifting

DougsZ28_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Is there anyway I can get my gearbox to shift smoother? I have read somewhere that if the gears were cut different that it would smooth out the shifting instead of clunking! Anyone hear of this?
 
I've found that when I exaggerate the throttle blip (closing it futher than I do on some other bikes), I get a buttery smooth, silent shift every time.

I'm using the recommended Honda GN-4 10W-30 and have diligently replaced the clutch (and brake) fluids every two years. I'm at 36,000mi...
 
If you’re not doing so already, try lightly preloading the shift lever before disengaging the clutch. Then, when you’re ready to shift, disengage the clutch while continuing to preload the shifter and you might find the gears changing more smoothly.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
If you’re not doing so already, try lightly preloading the shift lever before disengaging the clutch. Then, when you’re ready to shift, disengage the clutch while continuing to preload the shifter and you might find the gears changing more smoothly.
(+1) for the LongRanger.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
If you’re not doing so already, try lightly preloading the shift lever before disengaging the clutch. Then, when you’re ready to shift, disengage the clutch while continuing to preload the shifter and you might find the gears changing more smoothly.
(+1) for the LongRanger.
(+1) for the LongRanger. I'll give it a try, thanks!
 
DougsZ28_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
If you’re not doing so already, try lightly preloading the shift lever before disengaging the clutch. Then, when you’re ready to shift, disengage the clutch while continuing to preload the shifter and you might find the gears changing more smoothly.
(+1) for the LongRanger.
(+1) for the LongRanger. I'll give it a try, thanks!
Yeah, I would say it has by far the biggest impact on improved smoothness.

A secondary change for myself was the oil:

Motul 5100 or Rotella T6 10W40.

Hard to describe, but smoother than a blunt hot knife sliding down a brick of fresh, farm dairy butter.
 
A loose or worn chain (with tight spots) will cause clunky shifting, even slightly loose. Keep your chain well lubricated.
 
Dave_imp said:
A loose or worn chain (with tight spots) will cause clunky shifting, even slightly loose. Keep your chain well lubricated.
The Tutoro auto chain lubricator will make that task essentially zero effort.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
DougsZ28_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
If you’re not doing so already, try lightly preloading the shift lever before disengaging the clutch. Then, when you’re ready to shift, disengage the clutch while continuing to preload the shifter and you might find the gears changing more smoothly.
(+1) for the LongRanger.
(+1) for the LongRanger. I'll give it a try, thanks!
Yeah, I would say it has by far the biggest impact on improved smoothness.

A secondary change for myself was the oil:

Motul 5100 or Rotella T6 10W40.

Hard to describe, but smoother than a blunt hot knife sliding down a brick of fresh, farm dairy butter.
Yeah, I would say it has by far the biggest impact on improved smoothness.

A secondary change for myself was the oil:

Motul 5100 or Rotella T6 10W40.

Hard to describe, but smoother than a blunt hot knife sliding down a brick of fresh, farm dairy butter. Thats the cure, I went to a 5-20 synthetic and it cured the problem! Thanks
 
DougsZ28_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
DougsZ28_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
If you’re not doing so already, try lightly preloading the shift lever before disengaging the clutch. Then, when you’re ready to shift, disengage the clutch while continuing to preload the shifter and you might find the gears changing more smoothly.
(+1) for the LongRanger.
(+1) for the LongRanger. I'll give it a try, thanks!
Yeah, I would say it has by far the biggest impact on improved smoothness.

A secondary change for myself was the oil:

Motul 5100 or Rotella T6 10W40.

Hard to describe, but smoother than a blunt hot knife sliding down a brick of fresh, farm dairy butter.
Yeah, I would say it has by far the biggest impact on improved smoothness.

A secondary change for myself was the oil:

Motul 5100 or Rotella T6 10W40.

Hard to describe, but smoother than a blunt hot knife sliding down a brick of fresh, farm dairy butter. Thats the cure, I went to a 5-20 synthetic and it cured the problem! Thanks
Yeah, I would say it has by far the biggest impact on improved smoothness.

A secondary change for myself was the oil:

Motul 5100 or Rotella T6 10W40.

Hard to describe, but smoother than a blunt hot knife sliding down a brick of fresh, farm dairy butter. Thats the cure, I went to a 5-20 synthetic and it cured the problem! Thanks
I do not know your climate but 5/20 seems very low !
 
Houtman_imp said:
DougsZ28_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
DougsZ28_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
If you’re not doing so already, try lightly preloading the shift lever before disengaging the clutch. Then, when you’re ready to shift, disengage the clutch while continuing to preload the shifter and you might find the gears changing more smoothly.
(+1) for the LongRanger.
(+1) for the LongRanger. I'll give it a try, thanks!
Yeah, I would say it has by far the biggest impact on improved smoothness.

A secondary change for myself was the oil:

Motul 5100 or Rotella T6 10W40.

Hard to describe, but smoother than a blunt hot knife sliding down a brick of fresh, farm dairy butter.
Yeah, I would say it has by far the biggest impact on improved smoothness.

A secondary change for myself was the oil:

Motul 5100 or Rotella T6 10W40.

Hard to describe, but smoother than a blunt hot knife sliding down a brick of fresh, farm dairy butter. Thats the cure, I went to a 5-20 synthetic and it cured the problem! Thanks
Yeah, I would say it has by far the biggest impact on improved smoothness.

A secondary change for myself was the oil:

Motul 5100 or Rotella T6 10W40.

Hard to describe, but smoother than a blunt hot knife sliding down a brick of fresh, farm dairy butter. Thats the cure, I went to a 5-20 synthetic and it cured the problem! Thanks
I do not know your climate but 5/20 seems very low !
(yikes) :huh:

That is different - especially for hot weather riding and air cooled engine?
 
i've been reading both of these threads and just scratching my head....my CB has always been ultra buttery on the up and down shifts. the faster you shift and the better you rev match the better it gets. I've always used the 10w40 synthetic, always kept my chain maintained, always kept my clutch fluid refreshed.

maybe it's a perspective issue? i've never had a super nice expensive bike like a goldwing or high end BMer, so maybe i just dont know what a truly "smooth" transmission is.
 
The “high end” BMW RT that I have has a very clunky gearbox, while my middling F800GT had an incredibly smooth and quiet gearbox, just like my CB1100 did. I wouldn’t correlate cost with quality.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
i've been reading both of these threads and just scratching my head....my CB has always been ultra buttery on the up and down shifts. the faster you shift and the better you rev match the better it gets. I've always used the 10w40 synthetic, always kept my chain maintained, always kept my clutch fluid refreshed.

maybe it's a perspective issue? i've never had a super nice expensive bike like a goldwing or high end BMer, so maybe i just dont know what a truly "smooth" transmission is.
That seems to jive with my practice.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
DougsZ28_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
If you’re not doing so already, try lightly preloading the shift lever before disengaging the clutch. Then, when you’re ready to shift, disengage the clutch while continuing to preload the shifter and you might find the gears changing more smoothly.
(+1) for the LongRanger.
(+1) for the LongRanger. I'll give it a try, thanks!
Yeah, I would say it has by far the biggest impact on improved smoothness.

A secondary change for myself was the oil:

Motul 5100 or Rotella T6 10W40.

Hard to describe, but smoother than a blunt hot knife sliding down a brick of fresh, farm dairy butter.
I think you mean 5w40? Or 15w40? Rotella doesn't come in a 10w40 weight.
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
DougsZ28_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
If you’re not doing so already, try lightly preloading the shift lever before disengaging the clutch. Then, when you’re ready to shift, disengage the clutch while continuing to preload the shifter and you might find the gears changing more smoothly.
(+1) for the LongRanger.
(+1) for the LongRanger. I'll give it a try, thanks!
Yeah, I would say it has by far the biggest impact on improved smoothness.

A secondary change for myself was the oil:

Motul 5100 or Rotella T6 10W40.

Hard to describe, but smoother than a blunt hot knife sliding down a brick of fresh, farm dairy butter.
I think you mean 5w40? Or 15w40? Rotella doesn't come in a 10w40 weight.
I think you mean 5w40? Or 15w40? Rotella doesn't come in a 10w40 weight.
Yes, you are correct Yata-G. I did mean 10W40 Motul 5100, or 5W40 Rotella T6.
 
Back
Top