Forum migration update

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
The migration from MyBB to XenForo is officially complete. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to David (@rdprdp01) who has made the continuation of the CB1100 Forum possible both by means of a huge commitment of his own time and energy and by financing it all.

We also owe @Mostafa a huge debt of gratitude. His formidable programming skills successfully bridged two very different platforms and ensured over a decade of community history, threads, and data made the journey intact.

The goal of the CB1100 Community Forum is straightforward: protect our legacy, welcome new riders, and ensure the forum remains the warm, dependable community we began building in 2013.

Nothing in this world is perfect, and there will be tweaks that can be made to improve the user experience. We’re happy to consider them, subject to an important consideration.

MyBB taught us just how fragile custom, third-party add-ons can make a platform over time. To ensure long-term stability and smooth security updates, we’ve decided to rely strictly on XenForo’s core software alongside their officially supported first-party add-ons (Enhanced Search, Media, and Resource Manager). In simple terms, that means that, if we can't achieve an improvement with the stuff that came in the XenForo box, we'll not be able to do it. That said, XenForo is remarkably capable right out of that box, sticking to its native functionality ensures the forum won't break every time the underlying software updates, and there's likely plenty able to be done. I mean @rdprdp01 figured out how to achieve a mod that others have had to right add-ons for.

So please don’t hesitate to suggest improvements or changes you believe will improve members’ experience on the forum. If we can accommodate them with relatively easy tweaks and members generally agree, we’ll do it.

Thank you all for your patience, support, and goodwill while we worked through the transition. We look forward to seeing everyone out on the new boards. More importantly let’s see pictures and read stories of your times on the bike.
 
Please allow me to recognize Cormanus’ contribution as well. The digital landscape for forums like ours has evolved significantly since 2013. Although I found all prior CB1100 Forum iterations engaging and delightful, I knew the foundation needed to evolve with the times. But on this forum or any other, I am not the best person to sort out content organization, workflows, and standards. My experience is centered right here with our group. So I did what I always do: I asked Cormanus to lead, inspire, and build consensus. As we approach our second week, any early setup hiccups trace back to me. Cormanus’ work remains pristine. We are blessed to have him. Thank you, Cormanus.

In my opinion, the promise of open-source platforms like MyBB often remains more aspirational than practical for long-term maintenance. XenForo is backed by an established commercial team with direct accountability and continuous development. Now that everyone has had some time to settle into the new platform, I will author a few straightforward posts highlighting useful XenForo features. The goal is not to turn anyone into a XenForo power user. Rather, I hope to provide an easy reference so you can make the most of the time you spend on the CB1100 Community Forum.

Our Community means a great deal to me. Thank you all for the engagement, the camaraderie, and the daily reminder that decency and kindness thrive here.

More to follow.

David
 
Back
Top