side stand too short?

bioman_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I noticed it before, but now, as I "lost" my center stand, I think that the side stand on my bike is really 5 cm (2 inches) too short. It works but I do not find it very secure, and certainly not if the ground is uneven, soft, or the bike is parked on a slope (with the left/stand side down).

See here: (and that is with a 2-by-4 under it!)

9728104c1b4e5732a930333f483e3189.jpg



Is there anyone with a easy, cheap but effective solution, other than carrying a piece of wood with me? :)
 
Mine is a 2017 EX
Measured from pivot bolt center to base is 8.5 inches.

For better stability on loose/soft surface, I welded an additional "thin" metal plate to get a wider contact patch area.

It is welded offset in order to avoid contact with the exhaust pipe when in retract position.

One can add a thicker metal plate if (more length) required.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
My '14 has this plate added:

4129014f6a4ed09209dd706b68694479.jpg
Had never seen a motorcycle wearing Heels but i guess there's a first time for everything :rofl:

All jokes aside, I'm also not a huge fan of the CBR250-like kickstand on my CB..
 
The '17 stand I used to replace my too-short '14 stand is great. The lean angle looks right and it appears 100% stock. After installing it, I now know why they went with the short stand design to begin with. The longer one is only 1cm or so from the center stand foot pad when both stands are folded back for riding. It's slightly harder to deploy the center stand without also pushing the side stand down, as they are closer together now. I quickly got used to it, though, and am very happy I made the swap. I imagine the mods shown in this thread also use up most of the clearance between the stands.
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
Mine is a 2017 EX
Measured from pivot bolt center to base is 8.5 inches.

For better stability on loose/soft surface, I welded an additional "thin" metal plate to get a wider contact patch area.

It is welded offset in order to avoid contact with the exhaust pipe when in retract position.

One can add a thicker metal plate if (more length) required.
Nicely done. That looks more original and cleaner than those bolted-on ones.
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
Mine is a 2017 EX
Measured from pivot bolt center to base is 8.5 inches.

For better stability on loose/soft surface, I welded an additional "thin" metal plate to get a wider contact patch area.

It is welded offset in order to avoid contact with the exhaust pipe when in retract position.

One can add a thicker metal plate if (more length) required.
Pictures in retract position
 
Very cleverly done Alain. Looks great!
 
Very nicely done, Alain.
 
Thanks gents.
Necessity is the mother of invention - I guess

No, it was welded off the bike - I did not want to take any chance with all the computers on board.
 
Back
Top