side stand too short?

When I first got my 2014 I was quite alarmed at how far it leaned over before the side stand touched down. None of my other bikes lean like that.
It's not a problem, but I make sure of the surface below me when I stop.
Pavement isn't a problem, but I carry a "puck" if the ground is iffy.
 
Thread starter
bioman_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
bioman, LakeWylieJoe replaced his 13 or 14 side stand with the 17 side stand which he says is longer, http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15601
That would be a very elegant option indeed, but not cheap, I am afraid.

I found this cheap-but-effective option from the creative guys (& gals) on advrider.com: a hockey puck! I might give that a try.

b20ad861f6fadcfcd116212c42948f86.jpg
So I copied this idea, and cut a hockey puck to the right shape and glued it (with epoxy) underneath my stand. 15 minute job. And so far (having used it for a few weeks now on an almost daily basis) so good. If it every falls off, I'll just glue a new one on.

690b353a8a46d71c49e7a857626714c5.jpg


faa30ab3b1cca2c6fbbb1b1678ffdd43.jpg
 
how does it look folded up bioman? Might have been an opportunity to make the footprint a little larger too.
 
The ferret_imp said:
how does it look folded up bioman? Might have been an opportunity to make the footprint a little larger too.
Agree with "The ferret" with the wide foot print, this help on soft asphalt or grassy area.
 
[quote='bioman' pid='272576' dateline='1597018467'
So I copied this idea, and cut a hockey puck to the right shape and glued it (with epoxy) underneath my stand. 15 minute job. And so far (having used it for a few weeks now on an almost daily basis) so good. If it every falls off, I'll just glue a new one on.
[/QUOTE]

Who are these strange folks who have hockey pucks just laying around??
 
bioman see post 206 in this thread
 
Ferret, this thread only has 28 or so posts. Gonna be a while before we can read 206 :P
 
Oh yea Alain has 206 posts lol. I knew I saw 206 somewhere.

Its post 15 in this thread

Thanks mi lord for the correction
 
I've noticed that PB. Tis why he is lord of the realm
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
how does it look folded up bioman? Might have been an opportunity to make the footprint a little larger too.
Alain Lee_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
how does it look folded up bioman? Might have been an opportunity to make the footprint a little larger too.
Agree with "The ferret" with the wide foot print, this help on soft asphalt or grassy area.
Yes, you are both correct, of course. The wider, the more stable. However, my problem was mainly the awkward, steep angle that the bike stood on, caused by the side stand that was too short.
I very rarely park the bike on a soft surface, so the width of the foot was OK. In addition I also had to make sure that it fitted under/next to my Moriwaki exhaust: see picture. I now have left 1 cm space between exhaust and puck.
And finally, it is also a bit of the old "form-over-function" trade-off: I didn't want it to look as if I had a hockey puck hanging on my stand! :-/

34b840f4d54f109eeea08bb75b9875eb.jpg


0c5c657efa32a814673d6c997f16ae80.jpg

Inhouse Bob_imp said:
[quote='bioman' pid='272576' dateline='1597018467'
So I copied this idea, and cut a hockey puck to the right shape and glued it (with epoxy) underneath my stand. 15 minute job. And so far (having used it for a few weeks now on an almost daily basis) so good. If it every falls off, I'll just glue a new one on.

Who are these strange folks who have hockey pucks just laying around??
[/QUOTE]
I am confident that you can find an old hockey puck in virtually all Canadian garages, attics, or storage sheds! :D
 
bioman' pid='275515' dateline='1600193071 said:
it is also a bit of the old "form-over-function" trade-off: I didn't want it to look as if I had a hockey puck hanging on my stand! :-/


:rofl:
 
Ah yes, I remember years ago, they did "Puck Night" at a Kings game in L.A. All spectators got a hockey puck with a Toyo Tire logo on it.

Big mistake. Most of them got thrown onto the ice during game play. I nabbed a bunch of them and did a really bad body lift on the truck I was driving at the time. So, pucks have many uses beyond hockey.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Ah yes, I remember years ago, they did "Puck Night" at a Kings game in L.A. All spectators got a hockey puck with a Toyo Tire logo on it.

Big mistake. Most of them got thrown onto the ice during game play. I nabbed a bunch of them and did a really bad body lift on the truck I was driving at the time. So, pucks have many uses beyond hockey.
:rofl: the best laid plans
 
Back
Top