How to remove 2013 Rear ABS/Speed sensor

danieljrmurray_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'll keep this short and sweet.

Long story short I wrecked my bike, rebuilt it, new Tach works, speedo doesn't, ABS light on. Took it to shop to read codes, ABS sensor is confirmed bad, new one should fix issue.

They want 1.8 shop hours to do it plus parts put their repair costs about $550. Heeeeck no.

New sensor is in the mail, it's 2 bolts, a few clips and a connector under the side panel. Super easy. But how the heck do I get to the 2nd bolt? Do I absolutely have to pull the rear tire and remove the caliper? I'd like to avoid that if possible. I had to remove the center stand because it was bent and don't have a replacement yet taking it off and on is a PITA.

Videos for reference - 2 new videos · Thursday, Apr 28, 2022 🎬
 
First question - are you using the stock factory speedometer, or an aftermarket digital gauge?

If you are using the stock speedometer, what happens when you turn the key on? Do the needles sweep to full, then back? If they don't the problem is not the speed sensor.

Remember, the ABS light only goes off after both wheels have rolled 20 feet or so - it will never go off just sitting there, even if you spin up the rear wheel on the center stand.

Speed sensors almost never ever are defective in and of themselves - they are usually mis-diagnosed. If the pulser ring on the rear wheel is bent causing the clearance to be out of spec, it will not trigger. Because it can't give the ABS and PGM-FI modules any signal, it will give a code for the rear vehicle speed sensor CIRCUIT, which may not be the sensor itself. (Usually this happens when the wheel is off for a tire change.)

I would cancel the order if I were you, until I knew for sure it was the speed sensor.

If you really have to change the speed sensor, the only way to do it is unbolt the caliper, unplug and unhook the sensor, remove the axle enough to slide the caliper bracket back and off. At least you won't have to move the chain.
 
Huh. I just went out to the shop and took a look at mine.

A thought... if the old sensor is broken, why not remove the easy screw, break off the sensor, and have better access to the tight screw.
Then, when you put it back together, use an allen screw and use a round-head allen driver that gives you some angle to get above the swingarm. Replace it with the correct screw next time you remove the wheel to change tires.
 
Thread starter
I completely forgot I made this thread and didn't receive any updates in my email. My apologies.

I did end up ordering the sensor and replaced it. There is literally no change, which is really disappointing since I now spend $350 on a misdiagnosis and a new sensor. As pekingduck predicted. The engine light I actually am now realizing triggers a limp mode. Stops the bike after 6500rpm, which is totally unnoticeable unless you're really hammering on it. But the tech said the only codes were for a tip over sensor. But the engine light comes on after the first 30 seconds of riding but will not come on when cold and sat idling for any amount of time from what I can tell (though I've not sanity checked this, just my assumption as I warm the bike up as I gear up and the engine light stays off). Which I find strange. I need to go through the fuses, too. The tech also measured the spec for the abs ring and found it to be in spec.

Something else I noticed is when the fuel pump is started when I have the key on and the kill switch in the on position, at the end of the prime cycle there's a loud audible popping noise coming from the bike somewhere under the tank that was not present before the accident.

I've been riding the bike at all speeds, and everything seems totally fine other than the engine light and speedo not working. I'm stumped but I don't really want to take it back to the same shop that didn't get it right the first time.
 
danieljrmurray_imp said:
I completely forgot I made this thread and didn't receive any updates in my email. My apologies.

I did end up ordering the sensor and replaced it. There is literally no change, which is really disappointing since I now spend $350 on a misdiagnosis and a new sensor. As pekingduck predicted. The engine light I actually am now realizing triggers a limp mode. Stops the bike after 6500rpm, which is totally unnoticeable unless you're really hammering on it. But the tech said the only codes were for a tip over sensor. But the engine light comes on after the first 30 seconds of riding but will not come on when cold and sat idling for any amount of time from what I can tell (though I've not sanity checked this, just my assumption as I warm the bike up as I gear up and the engine light stays off). Which I find strange. I need to go through the fuses, too. The tech also measured the spec for the abs ring and found it to be in spec.

Something else I noticed is when the fuel pump is started when I have the key on and the kill switch in the on position, at the end of the prime cycle there's a loud audible popping noise coming from the bike somewhere under the tank that was not present before the accident.

I've been riding the bike at all speeds, and everything seems totally fine other than the engine light and speedo not working. I'm stumped but I don't really want to take it back to the same shop that didn't get it right the first time.
You might be entitled for a reimbursement?
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
danieljrmurray_imp said:
I completely forgot I made this thread and didn't receive any updates in my email. My apologies.

I did end up ordering the sensor and replaced it. There is literally no change, which is really disappointing since I now spend $350 on a misdiagnosis and a new sensor. As pekingduck predicted. The engine light I actually am now realizing triggers a limp mode. Stops the bike after 6500rpm, which is totally unnoticeable unless you're really hammering on it. But the tech said the only codes were for a tip over sensor. But the engine light comes on after the first 30 seconds of riding but will not come on when cold and sat idling for any amount of time from what I can tell (though I've not sanity checked this, just my assumption as I warm the bike up as I gear up and the engine light stays off). Which I find strange. I need to go through the fuses, too. The tech also measured the spec for the abs ring and found it to be in spec.

Something else I noticed is when the fuel pump is started when I have the key on and the kill switch in the on position, at the end of the prime cycle there's a loud audible popping noise coming from the bike somewhere under the tank that was not present before the accident.

I've been riding the bike at all speeds, and everything seems totally fine other than the engine light and speedo not working. I'm stumped but I don't really want to take it back to the same shop that didn't get it right the first time.
You might be entitled for a reimbursement?
You might be entitled for a reimbursement?
I think that would maybe apply, but it was just labor for diagnosis that I paid for. Time was used, doesn't really matter if the diagnosis was wrong. I think they'd reimburse if I had them replace the part for me, but they wanted $550 for that and it's a $150 sensor and 2 bolts and a couple of clips so I did it myself.
 
Pull the seat, pull the tank bolt, lift it up as far as it will go and check the breather hose to make sure it is in its ‘track’ (there is a space for it) and that it isn’t kinking when the tank is set down.

Of course this is if it’s a pressure type pop, and not an electric arcing type pop.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Pull the seat, pull the tank bolt, lift it up as far as it will go and check the breather hose to make sure it is in its ‘track’ (there is a space for it) and that it isn’t kinking when the tank is set down.

Of course this is if it’s a pressure type pop, and not an electric arcing type pop.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's on the list of things to do. The pop is definitely an electrical type pop. Only when the pump is priming and that's it.
 
Thread starter
Ya'll will never guess what the issue with the bike is.
My bike, as it turns out does NOT have ABS, contrary to what I was told by the previous owner.
I installed an ABS meter assembly. Everything else on the bike is basically the same except that part.
It's looking for a front ABS sensor at the start sequence which is why the speedo doesn't work and the ABS light stays on.
Good news is it's a super easy swap. 1 beer job.
I thought I'd likely be able to return it because the Odometer still reads 0 and there is no way they'd be able to tell. EXCEPT
I bought that part from Bike Bandit, which if I haven't mentioned did not ship about $150 in parts to me, and now their phone number is no longer in service and there is no way to contact them. I assume they folded.
A new one from MegaZip, the company that has been doing really well sending me parts is $850. NBD, but now I'm cuss out of all of that cash no matter what.
At least I know for sure what the problem is this time and it actually makes sense.

took another shop I took it to 30 minutes to figure it out. Which makes total sense based off what others have told me.
 
Wait, I thought in post 1 you said your ABS light was stuck on?

A 2013 without ABS, wouldnt light up an ABS light in any case. Did it light up before you wrecked it? I also dont think a non ABS bike would come from the factory with an ABS sensor installed which you said your bike had, which you replaced.

I'm confused.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Wait, I thought in post 1 you said your ABS light was stuck on?

A 2013 without ABS, wouldnt light up an ABS light in any case. Did it light up before you wrecked it? I also dont think a non ABS bike would come from the factory with an ABS sensor installed which you said your bike had, which you replaced.

I'm confused.
The rear ABS sensor and wheel speed sensor are one in the same. They have different part numbers but look identical and, in both ABS, and non-ABS diagrams, they are listed as a wheel speed sensor, just with a slightly different part number. The front tire on my bike does not have a pulsar ring. I never realized that my bike was missing that because I've never looked at the front wheel diagram. I would have noticed that if I had and realized I did not have an ABS bike like the seller told me. The new meter and plug for said meter are for an ABS bike, which is why the light comes on because it's not getting a signal from the front ABS sensor which it checks for on start up. It's triggering the engine code and tripping limp mode because the engine code is a wheel speed sensor code.

The ABS light was not on before the accident, the bike had no lights on the dash or a single issue before the wreck and the ABS "not working" was precisely why I wrecked because I carelessly railed the rear brake thinking I had ABS.

Hopefully that adds some clarity.
 
Oh ok, you were talking the slotted ring on the rear wheel and not an electrical sensor type switch in the wiring. I follow now.

Many times buyers were told their 2013s had rear ABS only by unknowing salesmen. It came up here on this forum many times.
 
That can be a misleading part of the bike... when I was looking at my bike, I asked the owner if it had rear-only ABS. He said he didn't know (he hadn't ridden it much), which led me to ask here on the forum, learning that it was the speed sensor.
 
So to summarize, you have a complete 2013 ABS meter panel plugged into your 2013 STD, and everything works except:

- The speedometer does not indicate. What happens when you turn the key on? Do the needles sweep to full, then back? Or does the needle stay stationary?
- There is a 6500 rev limit.
- The ABS light never goes off, because it is the wrong gauge.
- There is/was a pop or popping sound as the fuel pump pressurizes - has that been diagnosed? I hope it isn't related to the wrong meter. The fuel sender unit inside the tank, which is a variable resistor.

Note in the comparison of 2013 STD and ABS meter assembly below, your harness is supplying (+) power into the ground side of the fuel meter, and may be causing arcing, like a pop or snap sound. If this is what is happening, an explosion may occur inside the fuel tank. I would recommend not starting the bike unless you have the correct meter. I may be wrong about this, but please use caution. I ask others to please weigh in on this.

The illustration shows several other connections that do not correspond, so I am surprised the neutral light and tach are working - they shouldn't be. I don't think this meter can be made to work.
 
Back
Top