Shinko 777 tires for my 2017 CB1100ex

That'll change your speedo reading Mr P.
 
i've already priced some speedo healers for a sample budget. currently my biggest stumbling block is deciding whether to get aftermarket ultra light wheels, or just go with good old dependable OEM wheels that belong on the RS. there's a 4 digit price difference, but i've got over a year to figure out what i want to do.
 
This is going to be quite a bike when you've finished.
 
Thread starter
that's one heck of a project mister.. what are your reasons for this besides being able to use 17 in. pr4's or 5's .. I am assuming all of the brake parts like rotors etc. will just bolt up to the new rims.. I'm guessing it will take you a year before you need new tires.. I'm also guessing no one out there is connected enough to have an inside scoop as to what Michelin has planned for the future .. I will be ordering my pr3 rear today, with the hopes it will give me the mileage everyone is talking about.. my Shinko should be worn out in 2 or 3 months, then will come the big test for me.............. Chuckk j.
 
well...at the very least, i will be able to get PR5's, which is key to my riding style and overall mileage volume, but the biggest reason for the 17" wheels is that it's a part of my weight stripping pass on the bike. other things are planned, but the idea is to pull as many pounds off the bike as is sensible (without sacrificing stability or safety), especially with regards to wheel mass. If i raise my pegs and foot controls a hair to compensate, this should result in better overall handling, acceleration, ect. For example, if i do spring for the Magnesium, between the two wheels i could strip as much as 18 lbs.

so, to answer your question, the reason for the conversion is about 1/2 handling and better tires, and 1/2 weight stripping. finally, there's an extra 10% that just wants awesome gold colored annodized wheels.

as for the brakes and disks ect, i really don't know. it's very likley that the brake disc situation will be a sticking point. I may have to adapt CB1100 brake discs to the new wheels. I've got some inkling of what that entails but it's not really a solid idea in my head yet. It's not so much a "heck of a project" as it is just expensive. If i can score some used wheels i will. We'll see where i am next year.

I do hope you get plenty of use out of your michelin as we all have. Enjoy it while you can. The PR3 will eventually no longer be available.
 
Thread starter
kinda good news from my dealer.. when I ordered my pr-3, I asked him how long would they be available..he called me back and told me of his conversation with Michelin usa.. they told him there were 200 on hand and there was no plans to discontinue them, because of the demand for them.. so in a few months I will do my comparison between the three tires .. dunlop, shinko, and Michelin .............. chuckk j.
 
An online converter said 15534.3
But whats a hundred miles between friends. ;)
 
Thread starter
15k miles on a front tire sounds like a lot to me.. but it sounds like good news.. I will be trying the rear pr-3 first.. then if my abrasive road allows me good mileage, I will replace the front with a pr-3 also.. I still have miles to go on my front Shinko with another shinko front tire at the ready.. any thoughts on my mixing of radials ?.. that being the front shinko 777 with the rear Michelin pr-3 ..... chuckk j.
 
Chuckk_imp said:
15k miles on a front tire sounds like a lot to me.. but it sounds like good news.. I will be trying the rear pr-3 first.. then if my abrasive road allows me good mileage, I will replace the front with a pr-3 also.. I still have miles to go on my front Shinko with another shinko front tire at the ready.. any thoughts on my mixing of radials ?.. that being the front shinko 777 with the rear Michelin pr-3 ..... chuckk j.
For what it's worth, my front PR3 also made it to 15K miles and probably had another 1K left in it.

As for mixing bias and radials, it's not recommended by any of the manufacturers. I only tried it once many moons ago on my CB750. I'm not sure if it was the radial/bias combo or the tires themselves (both sport touring types), but there was a noticeable squirreliness on hard, fast corners. It went away when I eventually changed back to bias on both tires.
 
I think the Shinko is a radial too, isn't it, Chuckk?

I'm sure a tyre guy would tell you not to do it, but I know other folk who might say it's a Honda, you're not on the track and if it's round and made of rubber, it will be all right.

Me? I have no idea.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
I think the Shinko is a radial too, isn't it, Chuckk?

I'm sure a tyre guy would tell you not to do it, but I know other folk who might say it's a Honda, you're not on the track and if it's round and made of rubber, it will be all right.

Me? I have no idea.
yes cormanus, it is also a radial, by what I have seen on some adds for the tire.. I would imagine, it would affect handling a little.. whether many riders would notice any difference is another thing.. me included.. it may be the same thing as not using the factory recommended tire sizes.. subtle changes in performance.. hopefully, there isn't any real danger in miss matching brands........ chuckk j.
 
Last time I was buying tyres, I was advised not to mix a PR3 front with a Pirelli Angel GT rear, even though they're both radials, because they're made from different compounds. I really don't know. I think I'll try mixing it up next time I'm forced to change tyre brands as I honestly don't think I'm a good enough rider to notice. The only issue would be if the mixture caused some erratic and unpredictable behaviour.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
15k miles on a front tire sounds like a lot to me.. but it sounds like good news.. I will be trying the rear pr-3 first.. then if my abrasive road allows me good mileage, I will replace the front with a pr-3 also.. I still have miles to go on my front Shinko with another shinko front tire at the ready.. any thoughts on my mixing of radials ?.. that being the front shinko 777 with the rear Michelin pr-3 ..... chuckk j.
For what it's worth, my front PR3 also made it to 15K miles and probably had another 1K left in it.

As for mixing bias and radials, it's not recommended by any of the manufacturers. I only tried it once many moons ago on my CB750. I'm not sure if it was the radial/bias combo or the tires themselves (both sport touring types), but there was a noticeable squirreliness on hard, fast corners. It went away when I eventually changed back to bias on both tires.
For what it's worth, my front PR3 also made it to 15K miles and probably had another 1K left in it.

As for mixing bias and radials, it's not recommended by any of the manufacturers. I only tried it once many moons ago on my CB750. I'm not sure if it was the radial/bias combo or the tires themselves (both sport touring types), but there was a noticeable squirreliness on hard, fast corners. It went away when I eventually changed back to bias on both tires. flynrider, thanks for letting me know that you also get great mileage (15k on the front).. I am sure, the shinko and the pr3's[/b] are quite differerent tires.. I have always liked to match tires, but I find I will be running the pr3 on the rear and Shinko's on the front.. at least until I use the Shinko's up.. it will be interesting ........ chuckk j..
 
Back
Top