Shinko 777 tires for my 2017 CB1100ex

Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Interesting. If they can solve the battery maintenance issue, then these can maybe one day be standard on all vehicle wheels.
G.O. .. my biggest concern would be theft.. I had a cheap set of basic pressure monitors on my car and they were gone within a day.. even though the FOBO's couldn't be used by someone else, people my try.. replacements run about $65. ea. if I am not mistaken.. it's like those brightly colored bugs that are bitter to eat.. many are killed teaching the birds .. the lock nut that comes with the FOBO's doesn't do much.. chuckk j.
 
Chuckk_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Interesting. If they can solve the battery maintenance issue, then these can maybe one day be standard on all vehicle wheels.
G.O. .. my biggest concern would be theft.. I had a cheap set of basic pressure monitors on my car and they were gone within a day.. even though the FOBO's couldn't be used by someone else, people my try.. replacements run about $65. ea. if I am not mistaken.. it's like those brightly colored bugs that are bitter to eat.. many are killed teaching the birds .. the lock nut that comes with the FOBO's doesn't do much.. chuckk j.
Yeah, that is a drag. Integration into the valve stem, or better, the rim would deter the punks. However, it seems the industry doesn't want to go full-in yet.

As for the battery, maybe someone will invent a self-charging circuit that takes advantage of wheel spin in some fashion. Guess we'll have to wait for that to ever materialize.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Interesting. If they can solve the battery maintenance issue, then these can maybe one day be standard on all vehicle wheels.
G.O. .. my biggest concern would be theft.. I had a cheap set of basic pressure monitors on my car and they were gone within a day.. even though the FOBO's couldn't be used by someone else, people my try.. replacements run about $65. ea. if I am not mistaken.. it's like those brightly colored bugs that are bitter to eat.. many are killed teaching the birds .. the lock nut that comes with the FOBO's doesn't do much.. chuckk j.
Yeah, that is a drag. Integration into the valve stem, or better, the rim would deter the punks. However, it seems the industry doesn't want to go full-in yet.

As for the battery, maybe someone will invent a self-charging circuit that takes advantage of wheel spin in some fashion. Guess we'll have to wait for that to ever materialize.
Yeah, that is a drag. Integration into the valve stem, or better, the rim would deter the punks. However, it seems the industry doesn't want to go full-in yet.

As for the battery, maybe someone will invent a self-charging circuit that takes advantage of wheel spin in some fashion. Guess we'll have to wait for that to ever materialize. maybe the use of magnets to create a charging device.. some fixed to the forks, then inside of the tire, mounted to the rim.. like a stator.. [/b]
 
Chuckk_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Interesting. If they can solve the battery maintenance issue, then these can maybe one day be standard on all vehicle wheels.
G.O. .. my biggest concern would be theft.. I had a cheap set of basic pressure monitors on my car and they were gone within a day.. even though the FOBO's couldn't be used by someone else, people my try.. replacements run about $65. ea. if I am not mistaken.. it's like those brightly colored bugs that are bitter to eat.. many are killed teaching the birds .. the lock nut that comes with the FOBO's doesn't do much.. chuckk j.
Yeah, that is a drag. Integration into the valve stem, or better, the rim would deter the punks. However, it seems the industry doesn't want to go full-in yet.

As for the battery, maybe someone will invent a self-charging circuit that takes advantage of wheel spin in some fashion. Guess we'll have to wait for that to ever materialize.
Yeah, that is a drag. Integration into the valve stem, or better, the rim would deter the punks. However, it seems the industry doesn't want to go full-in yet.

As for the battery, maybe someone will invent a self-charging circuit that takes advantage of wheel spin in some fashion. Guess we'll have to wait for that to ever materialize. maybe the use of magnets to create a charging device.. some fixed to the forks, then inside of the tire, mounted to the rim.. like a stator.. [/b]
maybe the use of magnets to create a charging device.. some fixed to the forks, then inside of the tire, mounted to the rim.. like a stator.. [/b]
I was thinking some fictitious piezo-MEMS device that creates a small current to charge a battery or small super-capacitor on the change of wheel moment, both acceleration and deceleration.
 
Thread starter
I'm thinking, I will be staying with the cr 2032's for awhile.. maybe they will cost $2. ea every 6 months .. money is no object when it comes to my baby .. haha chuckk j.
 
Chuckk_imp said:
I'm thinking, I will be staying with the cr 2032's for awhile.. maybe they will cost $2. ea every 6 months .. money is no object when it comes to my baby .. haha chuckk j.
Six months is pretty good. CR2032s? Those are the diameter of a nickel. I reckon they are in the mushroom cap portion of the device.
 
Hey Gold, I like the way you think!
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
I'm thinking, I will be staying with the cr 2032's for awhile.. maybe they will cost $2. ea every 6 months .. money is no object when it comes to my baby .. haha chuckk j.
Six months is pretty good. CR2032s? Those are the diameter of a nickel. I reckon they are in the mushroom cap portion of the device.
Six months is pretty good. CR2032s? Those are the diameter of a nickel. I reckon they are in the mushroom cap portion of the device.
yes.. in the mushroom ..
 
Thread starter
jtopiso_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
the tee valves have come in.. I have installed them and have had my wheels balanced once more.. the valves are setting pretty tall on the rims now, but are quite solidly mounted.. centrifugal forces shouldn't be a problem in the way I have mounted them.. I have taken pics and perhaps Peter would be kind enough to post them for me.. I have also captured photos of my FOBO, detailing pressures, starting dates of batteries, and leak tests.. the modifications I have done to the front fender to allow for that larger Shinko 777 120/90/18 posed no problems when pulling the front wheel to re-balance.. chuckk j.
Why bold font?
Why bold font?
old eyes.. I find it easier to read..[/b]
 
Thread starter
the testing between the D205 rear and the Shinko 777 rear is now completed.. it was very close as far as the miles ridden.. the D205 gave me 2700 miles.. the shinko 777 gave me 2600 miles.. the wear was quite different between the two brands of tires though.. I have been riding the same canyon roads.. my riding style hasn't changed.. tire pressures have been right where they should be.. hopefully Peter has the time and kindness to post pics of the two different wear patterns.. also, while replacing the worn shinko, I have decided to remove that protective rubber strip.. it had definitely migrated and the Schrader valve hole was covered up by it.. I then chose to give my rim a third coat of 3-m adhesive sealant, just ti be safe.. I have a few pics of that also.. the only test left now, is the mileage I get on the front shinko compared to the front D205.. ........ Chuckk j.
 
Chuckk_imp said:
the testing between the D205 rear and the Shinko 777 rear is now completed.. it was very close as far as the miles ridden.. the D205 gave me 2700 miles.. the shinko 777 gave me 2600 miles.. the wear was quite different between the two brands of tires though.. I have been riding the same canyon roads.. my riding style hasn't changed.. tire pressures have been right where they should be.. hopefully Peter has the time and kindness to post pics of the two different wear patterns.. also, while replacing the worn shinko, I have decided to remove that protective rubber strip.. it had definitely migrated and the Schrader valve hole was covered up by it.. I then chose to give my rim a third coat of 3-m adhesive sealant, just ti be safe.. I have a few pics of that also.. the only test left now, is the mileage I get on the front shinko compared to the front D205.. ........ Chuckk j.
AS PER CHUCKK request

726f1fdda5a2534dfb082b385c7212c1.jpg


a23163629ab57f19c98b30f7046dc08d.jpg


ed9bdc125425654a5b9cf970595ed721.jpg


2a9739ae5ededb6c159563eaaa33d415.jpg



I have never had a touring tire on any of my bikes that only lasted 3000 miles... , in my case, this would result in replacing tire 2-3 times per riding season :s
 
You are lucky PB, if a tire only lasted 2700 miles I would go thru 9 of them a season. Some would barely last a month.

That 777 looks like it has plenty of meat left on the sides, it's the center that's worn out. Are they both dual compound tires?
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
the testing between the D205 rear and the Shinko 777 rear is now completed.. it was very close as far as the miles ridden.. the D205 gave me 2700 miles.. the shinko 777 gave me 2600 miles.. the wear was quite different between the two brands of tires though.. I have been riding the same canyon roads.. my riding style hasn't changed.. tire pressures have been right where they should be.. hopefully Peter has the time and kindness to post pics of the two different wear patterns.. also, while replacing the worn shinko, I have decided to remove that protective rubber strip.. it had definitely migrated and the Schrader valve hole was covered up by it.. I then chose to give my rim a third coat of 3-m adhesive sealant, just ti be safe.. I have a few pics of that also.. the only test left now, is the mileage I get on the front shinko compared to the front D205.. ........ Chuckk j.
AS PER CHUCKK request

726f1fdda5a2534dfb082b385c7212c1.jpg


a23163629ab57f19c98b30f7046dc08d.jpg


ed9bdc125425654a5b9cf970595ed721.jpg


2a9739ae5ededb6c159563eaaa33d415.jpg



I have never had a touring tire on any of my bikes that only lasted 3000 miles... , in my case, this would result in replacing tire 2-3 times per riding season :s
Ouch.
 
i am new to motorcycling world.

i always thought motorcycle tires lasted just like cars but i am in for surprise.

out of all the tires available for cb1100 which one has the longest mileage rating ? any tire out there with 20,000 mile rating atleast ?
 
You want grip/handling or long wear? Its about impossible to have both. But some tires do pretty dang good. And some are dual compound that is supposed to do both. But good decent tires just aren’t cheap and don’t last like car tires.

But I’m not the tire expert on the board. You’ll get answers from those that are along with recommendations. Use search too if you want as there are lots of tire treads (see what I did there?) :)
 
I WISH they lasted like car tires. No 20,000 mile mc tires I know of

I think the Michelin Pilot Road 3's have the best combo of grip, handling, and long tire wear. Not race track grip, but for me they hang in there pretty good and last 10,000 miles or more.
 
Even good quality tires will weep or excrete oily compounds after three years in storage. Eventually the tire will be hard enough to notice a change in behaviour and/or micro cracks will form along the sidewall and/or within the tread, even if the tread is still deep. Rubber elements in the compound will eventually breakdown.
 
My '13CB had rear 160-PR3 and when I was selling it, already had 36000 km + another 6000 km left, so lets say 40000 km = 25000 miles**

Front 120-PR3 half less.

** No commuting/city, mostly fast road/80km/h and hwys driven, not too many serpentines, one rider, tire pressure/spec+2 PSI
 
Back
Top