Seat comfort.

I like reading these threads because it reminds me how different we all experience things. I'm 6' and change, 180lbs and don't have much cushion at all. I have a bunch of different bikes, and have ridden a bunch more. Ergonomics relative to pegs, bars, etc. play into overall comfort to me, but I've never once found myself conscious of seat comfort. I did swap my seat for the Samurider K10 seat, but that was strictly a looks thing. For me, the extra height of the uncut seat gives me a bit more room, which is nice...it never occurred to me to even think about if one was more comfortable than the other. On the third hand, I don't spend 8 hours in the saddle with only stops for gas. A day of riding for me is 100 miles to get somewhere, noodle around a bit, another 100 miles and a stop for gas and food, noodle around some more, then head back home. From all of the Corbin threads though, clearly this is an issue for many.

Good luck with the house HR!!!
 
tommymck_imp said:
I like reading these threads because it reminds me how different we all experience things. I'm 6' and change, 180lbs and don't have much cushion at all. I have a bunch of different bikes, and have ridden a bunch more. Ergonomics relative to pegs, bars, etc. play into overall comfort to me, but I've never once found myself conscious of seat comfort. I did swap my seat for the Samurider K10 seat, but that was strictly a looks thing. For me, the extra height of the uncut seat gives me a bit more room, which is nice...it never occurred to me to even think about if one was more comfortable than the other. On the third hand, I don't spend 8 hours in the saddle with only stops for gas. A day of riding for me is 100 miles to get somewhere, noodle around a bit, another 100 miles and a stop for gas and food, noodle around some more, then head back home. From all of the Corbin threads though, clearly this is an issue for many.

Good luck with the house HR!!!
I think the only truly comfortable stock seat I have ever rode was on a Yamaha Virago 1100. Of course, the whole ergonomic is different than an upright street bike.
 
The only seat I have ridden on that was truly all day comfortable for me was the stock seat on a 1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado. All the rest have been more or less the same which for me has been tolerable for as long as I need to stay in the saddle.
 
I have yet to sit on a stock seat that felt bad--ok, I've only owned 10 bikes. I may add a seat pad but that's mainly to increase seat height to help my knees. After 90-100 miles of riding, I need to either use the men's room, get gas, or eat/drink something...stretch out a bit and I'm good for another 90 miles. 4-5 rounds of that and that's plenty for one day.
 
Haggard Rider_imp said:
Being a complete newbie when it comes to riding motorbikes, I have a question over seat comfort.

I've not ridden much since I got the CB, about 500mls since Jan 8th, but I do find that my backside starts hurting (like it's bruised) after about 30/40 mins riding.

I thought it might just be me getting used to riding as with hurting wrists and shoulders, but now that they are ok, my butt still hurts to the extent I reckon 90 mins to 2 hrs will be my limit between stops.

Is this the norm? Will I 'get used' to the saddle, or do I need to look into a replacement like a Corbin?
Before you spend the money for a new seat try a beadrider….It makes a big difference in comfort.....
I just got back from a 2000 mile ride on my 1100 almost all on 2 lane roads...the beadrider was all I needed …..
 
Welcome, Ride Forever.
 
Yep, I find it to be pretty uncomfortable after about 100 miles or so. I don't mind taking pretty frequent stops, and anyway the small tank keeps me from being on the road all that long anyway. I just ordered highway pegs which I think will help a lot.
 
Haggard Rider_imp said:
Being a complete newbie when it comes to riding motorbikes, I have a question over seat comfort.

I've not ridden much since I got the CB, about 500mls since Jan 8th, but I do find that my backside starts hurting (like it's bruised) after about 30/40 mins riding.

I thought it might just be me getting used to riding as with hurting wrists and shoulders, but now that they are ok, my butt still hurts to the extent I reckon 90 mins to 2 hrs will be my limit between stops.

Is this the norm? Will I 'get used' to the saddle, or do I need to look into a replacement like a Corbin?

I had an upholstery shop carve some foam out and insert a gel pad. Much improved.
 
DBXXX_imp said:
Yep, I find it to be pretty uncomfortable after about 100 miles or so. I don't mind taking pretty frequent stops, and anyway the small tank keeps me from being on the road all that long anyway. I just ordered highway pegs which I think will help a lot.
If anything the highway pegs will make the seat comfort worse. In normal riding position, and as long as you ride more with your toes (or the front of your foot) on the pegs, your legs will be supporting part of your weight. This then results in less weight on the seat, and the experience is actually a more comfortable ride. With the highway pegs there will no weight on your legs at all, and all of it on the seat.
 
Henrik_imp said:
DBXXX_imp said:
Yep, I find it to be pretty uncomfortable after about 100 miles or so. I don't mind taking pretty frequent stops, and anyway the small tank keeps me from being on the road all that long anyway. I just ordered highway pegs which I think will help a lot.
If anything the highway pegs will make the seat comfort worse. In normal riding position, and as long as you ride more with your toes (or the front of your foot) on the pegs, your legs will be supporting part of your weight. This then results in less weight on the seat, and the experience is actually a more comfortable ride. With the highway pegs there will no weight on your legs at all, and all of it on the seat.
If anything the highway pegs will make the seat comfort worse. In normal riding position, and as long as you ride more with your toes (or the front of your foot) on the pegs, your legs will be supporting part of your weight. This then results in less weight on the seat, and the experience is actually a more comfortable ride. With the highway pegs there will no weight on your legs at all, and all of it on the seat.
Talking to others, and even recently, similar comments have been shared regarding more discomfort or unease.

It would still be convenient to have somewhere to stretch the two legs from time-to-time, but maybe that is a warning to simply get off the bike and take a break and walk around.
 
To add to the retro look i got a cb750 k7 seat cover from Classic bike shop, in the midlands [uk], had my local upholstery shop rework cover and fit additional half inch layer of foam, makes a difference.
 
I use my CB1100 as a city bike, and for longer forays I use my BMW R1100RT. Now that is a touring seat! Wide, deep, bolstered, it just welcomes my backside to get comfy. I am considering having a local auto upholstery guy do a little reshaping to the Honda plank. Cheaper than a Corbin. I had the same guy work on a Sportster seat I used to have, made a big difference. I might just take some photos of the Beemer seat and text them to the guy, take the Honda plank to him and have him more or less duplicate it.
 
locomotive engineer_imp said:
To add to the retro look i got a cb750 k7 seat cover from Classic bike shop, in the midlands [uk], had my local upholstery shop rework cover and fit additional half inch layer of foam, makes a difference.
Very interested in this, loco...
The seat on my CB is damaged and I was going to buy a new one from Samurider, but your solution is maybe better. And cheaper??
Do you have more details and perhaps pictures? Happy to post mine to your guy if he's good and not expensive. :)
 
I've recently turned 10,500 miles on my 2014 CB . Not totally happy with the stock saddle.

Although the saddle looks like it is flat and parallel to the ground, it feels, especially at low speed, like it is pushing me toward the handlebars. At speeds over 60-65mph, it is much better, since I'm being pushed toward the rear of the bike by wind.

What causes the saddle on the CB to not be comfortable? I'm thinking it is:
- too thin in the front, with little support under the thighs?
- or is there a slight pitch toward the front that causes me to lean (too much) onto the bars?
- or are the stock pegs too far rearward?

I don't have the ergonomics right, yet.

Just a few thoughts.

Bob
 
ohiorider_imp said:
I've recently turned 10,500 miles on my 2014 CB . Not totally happy with the stock saddle.

Although the saddle looks like it is flat and parallel to the ground, it feels, especially at low speed, like it is pushing me toward the handlebars. At speeds over 60-65mph, it is much better, since I'm being pushed toward the rear of the bike by wind.

What causes the saddle on the CB to not be comfortable? I'm thinking it is:
- too thin in the front, with little support under the thighs?
- or is there a slight pitch toward the front that causes me to lean (too much) onto the bars?
- or are the stock pegs too far rearward?

I don't have the ergonomics right, yet.

Just a few thoughts.

Bob
I can attest to the first and third bullet. If you are kinda tall, that adds additional impediment. The upshot, however, is some decent body maneuverability when it is needed.
 
Henrik_imp said:
DBXXX_imp said:
Yep, I find it to be pretty uncomfortable after about 100 miles or so. I don't mind taking pretty frequent stops, and anyway the small tank keeps me from being on the road all that long anyway. I just ordered highway pegs which I think will help a lot.
If anything the highway pegs will make the seat comfort worse. In normal riding position, and as long as you ride more with your toes (or the front of your foot) on the pegs, your legs will be supporting part of your weight. This then results in less weight on the seat, and the experience is actually a more comfortable ride. With the highway pegs there will no weight on your legs at all, and all of it on the seat.
I had hiway pegs on my '14, and they weren't so much to help with seat comfort, but rather to give the knees a chance to stretch out. Having said that, when I stretch feet out on hiway pegs, then I notice the weight on the rear end is at a different spot and so that does help a little. Regardless, I nearly always take a break around 100 miles for either gas / food / or bathroom.
ohiorider_imp said:
I've recently turned 10,500 miles on my 2014 CB . Not totally happy with the stock saddle.

Although the saddle looks like it is flat and parallel to the ground, it feels, especially at low speed, like it is pushing me toward the handlebars. At speeds over 60-65mph, it is much better, since I'm being pushed toward the rear of the bike by wind.

What causes the saddle on the CB to not be comfortable? I'm thinking it is:
- too thin in the front, with little support under the thighs?
- or is there a slight pitch toward the front that causes me to lean (too much) onto the bars?
- or are the stock pegs too far rearward?

I don't have the ergonomics right, yet.

Just a few thoughts.

Bob
Yes to the first; yes to the second if you're tall. I put a sponge bleacher pad on my seat strapped down with ties. It raises me 3/4 inch and that frees up the knees a bit and helps with seat comfort as well. And it only cost $6.
 
Wow! I thought something was wrong. I am 6 foot 3 inches and I feel like I am leaning forward. Seems if the front forks were extended some it would feel better. Yes,the pegs are too far forward.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
locomotive engineer_imp said:
To add to the retro look i got a cb750 k7 seat cover from Classic bike shop, in the midlands [uk], had my local upholstery shop rework cover and fit additional half inch layer of foam, makes a difference.
Very interested in this, loco...
The seat on my CB is damaged and I was going to buy a new one from Samurider, but your solution is maybe better. And cheaper??
Do you have more details and perhaps pictures? Happy to post mine to your guy if he's good and not expensive. :)
Very interested in this, loco...
The seat on my CB is damaged and I was going to buy a new one from Samurider, but your solution is maybe better. And cheaper??
Do you have more details and perhaps pictures? Happy to post mine to your guy if he's good and not expensive. :)
:thanks: Hi Bazbro, i tried to upload a photo but was unable, will try to take a lower resolution photo soon as possible.
 
Back
Top