GoldOxide_imp
Road warrior
I wonder if the new Nightster is HD's response to bikes like the Honda Rebel 1100?
Marketed for a wider rider spectrum?
Marketed for a wider rider spectrum?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
The XR 1200 was a very good looking motorcycle and probably would have been a bigger seller with less weight and more power. I considered one before test riding one and just found it kind of ponderous on the road. In other words it was just a normal Sportster of which I had already owned two, dressed up in Flat Track clothes.Frulk_imp said:Some of the responses in the early part of this thread related to the exhaust made me laugh out loud.
The people that will buy this bike don't care about class leading this or that...if they did they certainly wouldn't be shopping Harleys...Same goes for a lot of other items we purchase...The Ford F150 is the #1 selling vehicle in the US... don't think it's the class leader in anything that I know of. Certainly not the fastest, or the best braking...but, for some reason they seem to be very popular.
I can't quantify the intangibles that attract people to Harleys. However, the name and brand still have cachet it seems (in spite of the performance, design and technological limitations of its offerings) whether some in the motorcycling fraternity like it or not.
Harley didn't just throw this Sportster together. You can bet there were numerous focus groups comprised of the demographic that the MoCo is trying to entice to buy this model.
When I look at its ridiculous exhaust appenditure I think back on the Indian FTR when it came to market...first thing I thought was how did that ever make it into the showroom...same goes for this one as well.
I've seen these in the flesh at the local dealership and the salesman there keeps offering me a test ride every time I walk in. He knows I have an XR1200 and for some reason thinks I'm predisposed to purchasing this model because of that. I'm not interested in the bike so I haven't taken him up on it...I will say they're selling them...again, in spite of apparently not leading their class in anything. Think they've moved three so far that I know of and there have probably been more.
Couple of things that haven't been discussed by us so far is the overall size of the bike and that front tire. Tiny is almost an appropriate description. The bikes physical presence is very small...and low. You have to see one in person to put that into perspective. Most guys at 6 feet or over and in the 200+ pound range will look like circus monkeys on this machine. Then there's that front tire. It's a 160 I think and very chunky. My buddy made a good observation as we looked over the last one the dealer had in the shop "when that center flattens out I wonder how it will affect handling". I to am interested in that. Maybe a 48 rider can chime in.
I want them to sell like hot cakes. Here's hoping the current gas prices push a lot of folks to consider purchasing a bike as a cost-effective alternative mode of transportation to a car or truck.
How on earth does this thing attempt to perform at or above the competitive standards in its class, if the class is 1200cc naked?VLJ_imp said:How on earth does this thing attempt to perform at or above the competitive standards in its class, if the class is 1200cc naked?misterprofessionality_imp said:I have to respect this thing because its HDs first real try at making a bike that genuinely performs at or above market competitive standards in its class. How it looks is...whatever. somebodys gonna like it.
Whats important to me is whether or not it succeeds at the first thing i said. Because that price tag is HIGH for a 1200cc naked.
In terms of performance, this thing isn't in the same universe as the leading 1200cc nakeds... or is this another example of the usual H-D trick of confining the field of play to itself and maybe one other knock-off brand?
Otherwise, come on. Performance-wise, in no way is this thing remotely competitive in its class.
How on earth does this thing attempt to perform at or above the competitive standards in its class, if the class is 1200cc naked?misterprofessionality_imp said:How on earth does this thing attempt to perform at or above the competitive standards in its class, if the class is 1200cc naked?VLJ_imp said:How on earth does this thing attempt to perform at or above the competitive standards in its class, if the class is 1200cc naked?misterprofessionality_imp said:I have to respect this thing because its HDs first real try at making a bike that genuinely performs at or above market competitive standards in its class. How it looks is...whatever. somebodys gonna like it.
Whats important to me is whether or not it succeeds at the first thing i said. Because that price tag is HIGH for a 1200cc naked.
In terms of performance, this thing isn't in the same universe as the leading 1200cc nakeds... or is this another example of the usual H-D trick of confining the field of play to itself and maybe one other knock-off brand?
Otherwise, come on. Performance-wise, in no way is this thing remotely competitive in its class.
In terms of performance, this thing isn't in the same universe as the leading 1200cc nakeds... or is this another example of the usual H-D trick of confining the field of play to itself and maybe one other knock-off brand?
Otherwise, come on. Performance-wise, in no way is this thing remotely competitive in its class.
Im with you. Keep in mind the word i used was "try." Much like how my 23lb cat tries to jump up to the kitchen counters. He is in no way competitive with my 11lb tabby, who can leap from the floor to the crown molding, but he does try.
For the past 20 years HD has not even made the attempt, let alone succeeded. Their drive to be better has been so nonexistent that even the attempt is impressive to me. Itprompts me to say. " aw shucks. Look at him go. Keep tryin dude. Youll get there. "
Im sorry if that sentiment was lost in my comment.
as reported here, here is the release of the NightsterThe ferret_imp said:Latest scuttlebutt I can find online says April 12th released Sportster will use the liquid cooled 975cc Revolution Max engine originally slated for the Bronx and will have conventional forks, twin shocks, single front disc and may be called the Nightster 975
You, sir, are the poster child for why dealers are more and more reluctant to offer test rides these days. Sheesh.The ferret_imp said:The XR 1200 was a very good looking motorcycle and probably would have been a bigger seller with less weight and more power. I considered one before test riding one and just found it kind of ponderous on the road. In other words it was just a normal Sportster of which I had already owned two, dressed up in Flat Track clothes.Frulk_imp said:Some of the responses in the early part of this thread related to the exhaust made me laugh out loud.
The people that will buy this bike don't care about class leading this or that...if they did they certainly wouldn't be shopping Harleys...Same goes for a lot of other items we purchase...The Ford F150 is the #1 selling vehicle in the US... don't think it's the class leader in anything that I know of. Certainly not the fastest, or the best braking...but, for some reason they seem to be very popular.
I can't quantify the intangibles that attract people to Harleys. However, the name and brand still have cachet it seems (in spite of the performance, design and technological limitations of its offerings) whether some in the motorcycling fraternity like it or not.
Harley didn't just throw this Sportster together. You can bet there were numerous focus groups comprised of the demographic that the MoCo is trying to entice to buy this model.
When I look at its ridiculous exhaust appenditure I think back on the Indian FTR when it came to market...first thing I thought was how did that ever make it into the showroom...same goes for this one as well.
I've seen these in the flesh at the local dealership and the salesman there keeps offering me a test ride every time I walk in. He knows I have an XR1200 and for some reason thinks I'm predisposed to purchasing this model because of that. I'm not interested in the bike so I haven't taken him up on it...I will say they're selling them...again, in spite of apparently not leading their class in anything. Think they've moved three so far that I know of and there have probably been more.
Couple of things that haven't been discussed by us so far is the overall size of the bike and that front tire. Tiny is almost an appropriate description. The bikes physical presence is very small...and low. You have to see one in person to put that into perspective. Most guys at 6 feet or over and in the 200+ pound range will look like circus monkeys on this machine. Then there's that front tire. It's a 160 I think and very chunky. My buddy made a good observation as we looked over the last one the dealer had in the shop "when that center flattens out I wonder how it will affect handling". I to am interested in that. Maybe a 48 rider can chime in.
I want them to sell like hot cakes. Here's hoping the current gas prices push a lot of folks to consider purchasing a bike as a cost-effective alternative mode of transportation to a car or truck.
I would still take up the offer of a test ride on one of these if given the opportunity, even though I am not interested in buying one just because I like experiencing different bikes. I've also test ridden an Indian Scout with no intention of buying one. And a Yamaha Niken 3 wheeler which I found amazingly normal to ride. Same with the Piaggio MP3 3 wheeled scooter I test rode. I may not like trying different foods, but I love experiencing different motorcycles. I'm really looking forward to riding the new Moto Guzzi Mandello 1000 even though I know in advance from riding other Guzzi's that I'd never own one.
You, sir, are the poster child for why dealers are more and more reluctant to offer test rides these days. Sheesh.DaSwami_imp said:You, sir, are the poster child for why dealers are more and more reluctant to offer test rides these days. Sheesh.The ferret_imp said:The XR 1200 was a very good looking motorcycle and probably would have been a bigger seller with less weight and more power. I considered one before test riding one and just found it kind of ponderous on the road. In other words it was just a normal Sportster of which I had already owned two, dressed up in Flat Track clothes.Frulk_imp said:Some of the responses in the early part of this thread related to the exhaust made me laugh out loud.
The people that will buy this bike don't care about class leading this or that...if they did they certainly wouldn't be shopping Harleys...Same goes for a lot of other items we purchase...The Ford F150 is the #1 selling vehicle in the US... don't think it's the class leader in anything that I know of. Certainly not the fastest, or the best braking...but, for some reason they seem to be very popular.
I can't quantify the intangibles that attract people to Harleys. However, the name and brand still have cachet it seems (in spite of the performance, design and technological limitations of its offerings) whether some in the motorcycling fraternity like it or not.
Harley didn't just throw this Sportster together. You can bet there were numerous focus groups comprised of the demographic that the MoCo is trying to entice to buy this model.
When I look at its ridiculous exhaust appenditure I think back on the Indian FTR when it came to market...first thing I thought was how did that ever make it into the showroom...same goes for this one as well.
I've seen these in the flesh at the local dealership and the salesman there keeps offering me a test ride every time I walk in. He knows I have an XR1200 and for some reason thinks I'm predisposed to purchasing this model because of that. I'm not interested in the bike so I haven't taken him up on it...I will say they're selling them...again, in spite of apparently not leading their class in anything. Think they've moved three so far that I know of and there have probably been more.
Couple of things that haven't been discussed by us so far is the overall size of the bike and that front tire. Tiny is almost an appropriate description. The bikes physical presence is very small...and low. You have to see one in person to put that into perspective. Most guys at 6 feet or over and in the 200+ pound range will look like circus monkeys on this machine. Then there's that front tire. It's a 160 I think and very chunky. My buddy made a good observation as we looked over the last one the dealer had in the shop "when that center flattens out I wonder how it will affect handling". I to am interested in that. Maybe a 48 rider can chime in.
I want them to sell like hot cakes. Here's hoping the current gas prices push a lot of folks to consider purchasing a bike as a cost-effective alternative mode of transportation to a car or truck.
I would still take up the offer of a test ride on one of these if given the opportunity, even though I am not interested in buying one just because I like experiencing different bikes. I've also test ridden an Indian Scout with no intention of buying one. And a Yamaha Niken 3 wheeler which I found amazingly normal to ride. Same with the Piaggio MP3 3 wheeled scooter I test rode. I may not like trying different foods, but I love experiencing different motorcycles. I'm really looking forward to riding the new Moto Guzzi Mandello 1000 even though I know in advance from riding other Guzzi's that I'd never own one.
As the previous owner of 2 Sportsters, it makes the VRod look better and better!The ferret_imp said:As the previous owner of 2 Sportsters, there is nothing about that bike iteration that strikes my fancy. Nothing
Harley is supposed to announce a NEW Sportster on April 12