I just picked up a Sportster

Ollie

Been there
Thread starter
I've been keeping an eye out for a Sportster for a couple years now. Why?

My feeling (which will undoubtedly be wrong) is like CB1100's, air cooled Sportsters will stop dropping and prices will start climbing. And I've not owned a Sportster before.

But my list of requirements really narrowed down what I could consider. It had to be 1200 and I wanted a rubber mounted one which began in 2004 I believe. Prefer FI which began in 2007. Also no spokes, had to have cast wheels (no inner tubes) with traditional size 19" front and full fenders (no fat tire Iron model). I wished for a model with the most suspension so no "Low" model. I also wanted one with a large tank certainly not 2.5 gallon, 3.3 gallon ok, but prefer 4.5 gallon.

And lastly, what always seemed to eliminate the few I found that met the above, it had to be stock or almost so. No apes with different cables and brake line, forward pegs and controls, loud exhaust OK as long as the stock one came with it. No motor mods by Lord knows who.

The one I looked at and bought yesterday met all the above. It's a 2008 Roadster, completely stock, 4,700 miles with owners manual and both keys. The owner, who bought it in 2008, never rode it much to begin with but after hip replacement hardly at all.

It's not perfect there's a slight dent in the tank, but it's hardly noticeable so I won't bother with it. Nothing's faded but it appears to have been kept in an unheated garage/shed so there's some surface rust on a few bolts and the springs which were hidden by the panniers he had fitted. I am just going to replace the shocks along with the original tires.

Anyway here it is, after getting it home I removed the bags and gave it a good scrubbing.



[url=https://postimg.cc/0bCnmw5m]
 
Awesome Ollie! I like Sportsters. I bought new a 1987 XLH 1100. Loved it. Except for the carb that was problematic. It didn’t have dual front disks either. I would have liked that. Back then they had a recall on the cast wheels for a casting flaw and they replaced them with ‘86 wheels similar to yours IIRC.
 
Nice. Very clean.

I've had 2 Sportsters, a used 59 (right side shift, left side brake) in 1969 (traded my new 69 Honda CB 350 for it) and a new '94 in '94 with shifting and braking on the left. Both 883's.

They are a fun bike if ridden within reason. I found the forks topped out pretty easy, and the clutches were stiff to pull, and the vibes got a bit harsh above 55 mph, but I think those were my only real complaints. The torquey motor is easy to live with. Just don't let the big twin guys tell you it's a beginners or girls bike lol.

The rubber mounted 1200 should be a fun ride, smoother than the 883's for sure. Congrats.
 
Thread starter
Thanks ferret. Since I'm changing the shocks I will probably do something to the front. Maybe just springs, I'll have to measure sag sometime But if there are improved dampers or emulators that can be added w/o too much cost I'll do them too. One good thing with these bikes is there is a lot of stuff for them, both from Harley and aftermarket.

Yeah the clutch is certainly harder to pull than say a CB1100 but it's not too bad. From what I've read Sportster clutches should be upgraded at some point, say around 20,000 miles or so, and then they're good to go.
 
Congratulations, Ollie. Nice looking bike.
 
Great bike, Ollie. I replaced the clutch plates in my 1995 at about 24K and it was easy, but that clutch was coming apart. Do the clutch as soon as you can. Lots of YouTube videos. Two-wheel Rocco is the man on YouTube. I used Barret clutch and was very happy with it. You will love this bike. Easy to work on and fun to ride.
 
Congrats on your Sportster! I had a 2004 1200c...smokey gold and black. Very beautiful bike. Fun to ride.
 
Thread starter
Thank you guys!

I've not ridden a 1200, the only Sportster I've ridden was when I demo'd an 883 back around 2000. I found it lacking in power, buzzy at speed, and poor handling. But I just enjoyed riding the thing. I expect similar from this bike only smoother with more power and braking.
I realize this won't be a bike to try to ride fast on but it'll be fast enough for me, especially the "take it easy" way I ride anymore.

LOL no Gold I washed the CB1100 and I'm taking it! This Sportster won't be ridable (for me) for a while yet. I'll replace the brake fluid and tires sometime after next week. And I need to research more what shocks to go with and get them ordered. The more I think about it I probably won't even start insurance until next spring.

Nacho that's what I'm hearing about the clutch. To be honest I was planning on riding it 2 years then replacing it, or at 18,000 miles whichever comes first. I don't see myself riding this bike even 5,000 miles a year. Thanks I just bookmarked 2 wheel Rocco.

So quite a few of you had Sportsters in the past, interesting. I've owned a few Harleys but the closest to this one was a 2004 FXDXI Super Glide Sport, and yes I wish I still had it.
 
Think you picked the sweetest Roadster they ever made. I like the 2004 to 2008 Roadsters since before that they were solid mounts and then the newer ones (2016 era) have a lot of changes I don't like, such as super-short fenders and elimination of the main tail/stop lamp (they use the red turn signals for everything).

I bought a neglected 2005 Roadster the first week of January and spent a couple of months returning it to stock configuration. As you've learned, almost all Sportster owners just can't help "upgrading" to Stage 1 and other nonsense. In my case, fortunately the stock pipes had been saved since new inside a couple of pairs of old blue jeans, so they were perfect. I received the stock air cleaner as well. The carb (you're fortunate in having FI) had been modified and the slide drilled, so I had to rebuild it with a new slide and correct jets.

Presumably you've joined the XL Forum. They have an astonishing depth of knowledge on these bikes, and seem to be made up mainly of those who WANT a Sportster, rather than those who have one because they can't afford a "real" Harley.
 
Had a 2005 XL (carb). Sold it and went back to a CB750
Liked:
Belt drive
Gearing
Decent power

Disliked:
Lack of tach....your model has one
Forward controls
Skinny front tire
Small indicator lights impossible to see in bright sunlight
 
Thread starter
Thanks cookie and finally a member here who "still has one". :) Most that I looked at had the mods yours did, which I'd had to undo as you have, so I was happy to find a stock one (although I'll also be in it for tires and shocks). Yes I did join XLforum and have been learning. Looks like you like BMW's too.

Wagon I like belt drive as well and Harley's I've ridden all seem to be geared right, for me at least. But I wouldn't want forward controls or the skinny 21" spoke front wheel (if that's what yours had).
I had a 2000 CB750 Nighthawk and in many ways it was a better motorcycle for me than the CB1100 is. I sold it when I found a 2007 919.

It's interesting how many XL versions Harley made, same with the touring platform.

You going to Bluefield Wagon?
 
Sweet! Way back in the day, when I decided to get back into riding after the kids had grown up, I looked around for a Triumph Bonny, but couldn't find one, which is odd, living in SoCal, but I came across a black 883 Sportster. It was bone stock, checked off most of the boxes, and it was cheap. I bought it and rode it enough to get my endorsement again, but it was under powered, and friends kept calling it "a chick bike." Then I came across a blue 1200 Roadster. Not stock, it had a pipe I didn't like, and it seemed to have a problem in the lower revs, but it was cheap and gorgeous. Bought it. It had a stiff clutch, and the suspension was harsh, the SoCal frwys made it shake and rattle. A bud of mine, an ace mechanic, rode it, and said, "Someone has futzed with the jets." We (actually he) re-jetted it and put a clutch-assist in it, and bingo! Smooth, powerful, with an easy clutch! Rode it for about a year, but the suspension still rattled my teeth and Mrs. Bravo was making noises about wanted to ride with me, so traded it on the Kawi. That's another story.
 
Back
Top