LiveToRide_imp
Running like a top
Thread starter
I park mine in a shed. Honda is replacing my lower for bracket under warranty
Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Well Chris says he parks his in a ventilated garage, never under a cover. Was hoping there was something that would link these reports together. Doubt Honda will ever tell us why.The ferret_imp said:Right Guth..at least 2, Ack and Cormanus both park their bikes outside under a cover. But again, without a larger sampling, or reports from those who park outside under a cover and DON'T have rust issues, we are only speculating at this point. I wonder if Chris on the UK forum parks his outside under a cover. I will ask him.
For rust you need moisture. This can take the form of visible moisture, rain, dew, fog, tapwater (cleaning), or not visible, high humidity for example. My point re the cover was that they do tend to be humid inside. A humid atmosphere even in a 70deg closed shed or garage will give conditions conducive to rust. So Ole, do you have a hygrometer in your garage? If so what is typical winter humidity? If it's snowing it will most likely be cold but humid outdoors and even if your basement is heated it may still be humid.Ole_imp said:Well, I'll be go to heck. I just read this thread, walked out into the garage, don't want to be a Debbie Downer but, my CB is showing some rust also.
I will email these pics to my dealer tomorrow. It is just the left side as you sit on the bike. The right side shows zero rust.
![]()
![]()
I have rode in the rain some. But my bike has been in a 72 degree basement since Dec 1st. I will report back what dealer has to say,,,,,
Pterodactyl, what silicone spray do you use?Pterodactyl_imp said:For rust you need moisture. This can take the form of visible moisture, rain, dew, fog, tapwater (cleaning), or not visible, high humidity for example. My point re the cover was that they do tend to be humid inside. A humid atmosphere even in a 70deg closed shed or garage will give conditions conducive to rust. So Ole, do you have a hygrometer in your garage? If so what is typical winter humidity? If it's snowing it will most likely be cold but humid outdoors and even if your basement is heated it may still be humid.Ole_imp said:Well, I'll be go to heck. I just read this thread, walked out into the garage, don't want to be a Debbie Downer but, my CB is showing some rust also.
I will email these pics to my dealer tomorrow. It is just the left side as you sit on the bike. The right side shows zero rust.
![]()
![]()
I have rode in the rain some. But my bike has been in a 72 degree basement since Dec 1st. I will report back what dealer has to say,,,,,
The humidity in my garage (doesn't need to be heated in Sydney) varies from 20% to over 90% depending on the ambient. After cleaning I generally spray forks, oleos, linkages etc with a rubber friendly silicone spray. (As an aside, Cormanus, I don't use the high pressure cleaner directly on seals or areas where the electrics may be affected.)
My bike has been wet for periods of over a week (on a ride back from Adelaide last year it literally pissed down for five days straight and the ride to and fro the MotoGP this year was only slightly better). However my bike doesn't show the rust that I've seen in this thread. When I said, in a previous post, that there was some slight corrosion at the underside ends of the oil cooler pipes it has made me think that this is an area that I haven't been careful with.
Once again this rust thread has got me puzzled. I have had some trust in Honda as far as build quality goes so I would hate to think that I have just been lucky.
Cheers
Thanks.Pterodactyl_imp said:For rust you need moisture. This can take the form of visible moisture, rain, dew, fog, tapwater (cleaning), or not visible, high humidity for example. My point re the cover was that they do tend to be humid inside. A humid atmosphere even in a 70deg closed shed or garage will give conditions conducive to rust. So Ole, do you have a hygrometer in your garage? If so what is typical winter humidity? If it's snowing it will most likely be cold but humid outdoors and even if your basement is heated it may still be humid.Ole_imp said:Well, I'll be go to heck. I just read this thread, walked out into the garage, don't want to be a Debbie Downer but, my CB is showing some rust also.
I will email these pics to my dealer tomorrow. It is just the left side as you sit on the bike. The right side shows zero rust.
![]()
![]()
I have rode in the rain some. But my bike has been in a 72 degree basement since Dec 1st. I will report back what dealer has to say,,,,,
The humidity in my garage (doesn't need to be heated in Sydney) varies from 20% to over 90% depending on the ambient. After cleaning I generally spray forks, oleos, linkages etc with a rubber friendly silicone spray. (As an aside, Cormanus, I don't use the high pressure cleaner directly on seals or areas where the electrics may be affected.)
My bike has been wet for periods of over a week (on a ride back from Adelaide last year it literally pissed down for five days straight and the ride to and fro the MotoGP this year was only slightly better). However my bike doesn't show the rust that I've seen in this thread. When I said, in a previous post, that there was some slight corrosion at the underside ends of the oil cooler pipes it has made me think that this is an area that I haven't been careful with.
Once again this rust thread has got me puzzled. I have had some trust in Honda as far as build quality goes so I would hate to think that I have just been lucky.
Cheers
I wondered that, too, Ferret, so I looked. I think an oleo is "...A type of shock absorbers on aircraft landing gear". By implication, the shockers.The ferret_imp said:Ok, Ferret asking another dumb question..what is an oleos?
Fair enough too. I guess it might also be lisped pronunciation of a well-known US brand of biscuit. :banana:The ferret_imp said:Huh...ok
Btw I prefer this explanation
Oleo (song), a bebop composition by Sonny Rollins
:rofl:
:rofl:Cormanus_imp said:Fair enough too. I guess it might also be lisped pronunciation of a well-known US brand of biscuit. :banana:The ferret_imp said:Huh...ok
Btw I prefer this explanation
Oleo (song), a bebop composition by Sonny Rollins
:rofl:


Sorry, had a reversion to a previous life(time). Should have been shocks.The ferret_imp said:Ok, Ferret asking another dumb question..what is an oleos?

Thanks popgun. That is some comfort.Lord Popgun_imp said:Cormanus,
Check out the thread ferret's new ride. He posted pics of his new 2014 and it has that brown ring around the key switch. I'd say it IS factory and it looks just like my switch.
