Rust on lower fork bracket

Well, I'll be go to heck. I just read this thread, walked out into the garage, don't want to be a Debbie Downer but, my CB is showing some rust also.
I will email these pics to my dealer tomorrow. It is just the left side as you sit on the bike. The right side shows zero rust.

93a5d4ac023646d65a5efb5963a19d7c.jpg


f8ed536f9fcfe0323d33656d49adde95.jpg


I have rode in the rain some. But my bike has been in a 72 degree basement since Dec 1st. I will report back what dealer has to say,,,,,
 
The ferret_imp said:
Right Guth..at least 2, Ack and Cormanus both park their bikes outside under a cover. But again, without a larger sampling, or reports from those who park outside under a cover and DON'T have rust issues, we are only speculating at this point. I wonder if Chris on the UK forum parks his outside under a cover. I will ask him.
Well Chris says he parks his in a ventilated garage, never under a cover. Was hoping there was something that would link these reports together. Doubt Honda will ever tell us why.
 
Ole_imp said:
Well, I'll be go to heck. I just read this thread, walked out into the garage, don't want to be a Debbie Downer but, my CB is showing some rust also.
I will email these pics to my dealer tomorrow. It is just the left side as you sit on the bike. The right side shows zero rust.

93a5d4ac023646d65a5efb5963a19d7c.jpg


f8ed536f9fcfe0323d33656d49adde95.jpg


I have rode in the rain some. But my bike has been in a 72 degree basement since Dec 1st. I will report back what dealer has to say,,,,,
For rust you need moisture. This can take the form of visible moisture, rain, dew, fog, tapwater (cleaning), or not visible, high humidity for example. My point re the cover was that they do tend to be humid inside. A humid atmosphere even in a 70deg closed shed or garage will give conditions conducive to rust. So Ole, do you have a hygrometer in your garage? If so what is typical winter humidity? If it's snowing it will most likely be cold but humid outdoors and even if your basement is heated it may still be humid.

The humidity in my garage (doesn't need to be heated in Sydney) varies from 20% to over 90% depending on the ambient. After cleaning I generally spray forks, oleos, linkages etc with a rubber friendly silicone spray. (As an aside, Cormanus, I don't use the high pressure cleaner directly on seals or areas where the electrics may be affected.)

My bike has been wet for periods of over a week (on a ride back from Adelaide last year it literally pissed down for five days straight and the ride to and fro the MotoGP this year was only slightly better). However my bike doesn't show the rust that I've seen in this thread. When I said, in a previous post, that there was some slight corrosion at the underside ends of the oil cooler pipes it has made me think that this is an area that I haven't been careful with.

Once again this rust thread has got me puzzled. I have had some trust in Honda as far as build quality goes so I would hate to think that I have just been lucky.

Cheers
 
I've been following this thread since it started. I have some rust in various areas. I ride the CB infrequently and it is garaged. Occasionally the outside temperature will rise 20 or 30 degrees in a few hours along with a big rise in humidity. The result is, everything metal in my garage is wet with condensation. I try to get to the bike right away, toweling it off and running the engine for a couple of minutes to dry it off.

As soon as I noticed the rust I got some ACF-50 and applied it liberally to almost everything except the brakes.

I remember my high school biology teacher saying that rust was caused by bacteria, so I went looking for some confirmation of this online. There is a fair amount of info on microbially influenced corrosion but most of it deals with sewer systems, water pipes, and jet fuel tanks. Turns out there are bacteria that love jet fuel and they corrode the insides of tanks.

I'm no scientist but I think that in addition to moisture and salt, microbes are a factor in this rusting problem. The different reports make it seem random: covered, not covered, clean, dirty, dry, wet, etc. but apparently the concentration of microbes in a specific location is also a factor.

I found a product for rust removal that no one had mentioned. I think I will order some and see if it helps my situation. http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html

Tomorrow I'll post up some pictures of my rusty spots.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Ole_imp said:
Well, I'll be go to heck. I just read this thread, walked out into the garage, don't want to be a Debbie Downer but, my CB is showing some rust also.
I will email these pics to my dealer tomorrow. It is just the left side as you sit on the bike. The right side shows zero rust.

93a5d4ac023646d65a5efb5963a19d7c.jpg


f8ed536f9fcfe0323d33656d49adde95.jpg


I have rode in the rain some. But my bike has been in a 72 degree basement since Dec 1st. I will report back what dealer has to say,,,,,
For rust you need moisture. This can take the form of visible moisture, rain, dew, fog, tapwater (cleaning), or not visible, high humidity for example. My point re the cover was that they do tend to be humid inside. A humid atmosphere even in a 70deg closed shed or garage will give conditions conducive to rust. So Ole, do you have a hygrometer in your garage? If so what is typical winter humidity? If it's snowing it will most likely be cold but humid outdoors and even if your basement is heated it may still be humid.

The humidity in my garage (doesn't need to be heated in Sydney) varies from 20% to over 90% depending on the ambient. After cleaning I generally spray forks, oleos, linkages etc with a rubber friendly silicone spray. (As an aside, Cormanus, I don't use the high pressure cleaner directly on seals or areas where the electrics may be affected.)

My bike has been wet for periods of over a week (on a ride back from Adelaide last year it literally pissed down for five days straight and the ride to and fro the MotoGP this year was only slightly better). However my bike doesn't show the rust that I've seen in this thread. When I said, in a previous post, that there was some slight corrosion at the underside ends of the oil cooler pipes it has made me think that this is an area that I haven't been careful with.

Once again this rust thread has got me puzzled. I have had some trust in Honda as far as build quality goes so I would hate to think that I have just been lucky.

Cheers
Pterodactyl, what silicone spray do you use?

Pterodactyl_imp said:
Ole_imp said:
Well, I'll be go to heck. I just read this thread, walked out into the garage, don't want to be a Debbie Downer but, my CB is showing some rust also.
I will email these pics to my dealer tomorrow. It is just the left side as you sit on the bike. The right side shows zero rust.

93a5d4ac023646d65a5efb5963a19d7c.jpg


f8ed536f9fcfe0323d33656d49adde95.jpg


I have rode in the rain some. But my bike has been in a 72 degree basement since Dec 1st. I will report back what dealer has to say,,,,,
For rust you need moisture. This can take the form of visible moisture, rain, dew, fog, tapwater (cleaning), or not visible, high humidity for example. My point re the cover was that they do tend to be humid inside. A humid atmosphere even in a 70deg closed shed or garage will give conditions conducive to rust. So Ole, do you have a hygrometer in your garage? If so what is typical winter humidity? If it's snowing it will most likely be cold but humid outdoors and even if your basement is heated it may still be humid.

The humidity in my garage (doesn't need to be heated in Sydney) varies from 20% to over 90% depending on the ambient. After cleaning I generally spray forks, oleos, linkages etc with a rubber friendly silicone spray. (As an aside, Cormanus, I don't use the high pressure cleaner directly on seals or areas where the electrics may be affected.)

My bike has been wet for periods of over a week (on a ride back from Adelaide last year it literally pissed down for five days straight and the ride to and fro the MotoGP this year was only slightly better). However my bike doesn't show the rust that I've seen in this thread. When I said, in a previous post, that there was some slight corrosion at the underside ends of the oil cooler pipes it has made me think that this is an area that I haven't been careful with.

Once again this rust thread has got me puzzled. I have had some trust in Honda as far as build quality goes so I would hate to think that I have just been lucky.

Cheers
Thanks.

Humidity has to be a factor here. In the wet season it can be incredibly humid—in excess of 90%. I'm clearly going to have to rethink how I protect the bike when it's parked.
 
By the way, any suggestions on how to remove rust and inhibit it will be gratefully received.

Cheers
 
Ok, Ferret asking another dumb question..what is an oleos?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ok, Ferret asking another dumb question..what is an oleos?
I wondered that, too, Ferret, so I looked. I think an oleo is "...A type of shock absorbers on aircraft landing gear". By implication, the shockers.

See Wikipedia here.
 
Huh...ok

Btw I prefer this explanation

Oleo (song), a bebop composition by Sonny Rollins

:rofl:
 
The ferret_imp said:
Huh...ok

Btw I prefer this explanation

Oleo (song), a bebop composition by Sonny Rollins

:rofl:
Fair enough too. I guess it might also be lisped pronunciation of a well-known US brand of biscuit. :banana:
 
I work on Navy aircraft (DOD civilian). Ok, I work on radar, but the mech in our office says that oleo struts work almost exactly like the forks on a motorcycle.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Huh...ok

Btw I prefer this explanation

Oleo (song), a bebop composition by Sonny Rollins

:rofl:
Fair enough too. I guess it might also be lisped pronunciation of a well-known US brand of biscuit. :banana:
:rofl:

I love how other people talk...we call them cookies here

I guess our UK brothers would call them Crumpets or something?

biscuits are made with flour and you either put butter on them, generally with eggs and breakfast meat.. usually bacon here in the US or rip them in half and put sausage gravy on them.

a "shocker" is a surprise as in "Oh yea, that was a real shocker" (upon hearing someone died)

Good stuff the art of language :thumbsup:
 
Ferret,

I've been watching Wheeler Dealers car show on TV and am learning to speak Brit from that :)
 
Cormanus,

Check out the thread ferret's new ride. He posted pics of his new 2014 and it has that brown ring around the key switch. I'd say it IS factory and it looks just like my switch.
 
Yea I looked at that popgun. Kind of an amber ring around the key switch and it does look kind of chewed up brand new
 
No prob Ptero, sometimes I just have to ask since I don't understand the meaning of some phrases or words.

You should have been with me when I visited Europe for a motorcycle tour. Not only was there the whole German, French, Austrian, Swiss and Lichtenstein languages thing, but them calling something one thing and me calling it something else was too funny.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Cormanus,

Check out the thread ferret's new ride. He posted pics of his new 2014 and it has that brown ring around the key switch. I'd say it IS factory and it looks just like my switch.
Thanks popgun. That is some comfort. :)

Still waiting to hear from Honda.
 
Back
Top