Tortuga_imp
Been there
Learning English from Mike Brewer is like learning child minding from Michael Jackson. :dodgy:Lord Popgun_imp said:Ferret,
I've been watching Wheeler Dealers car show on TV and am learning to speak Brit from that![]()
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Learning English from Mike Brewer is like learning child minding from Michael Jackson. :dodgy:Lord Popgun_imp said:Ferret,
I've been watching Wheeler Dealers car show on TV and am learning to speak Brit from that![]()
Cormanus ,Cormanus_imp said:Pterodactyl, what silicone spray do you use?Pterodactyl_imp said:For rust you need moisture. This can take the form of visible moisture, rain, dew, fog, tapwater (cleaning), or not visible, high humidity for example. My point re the cover was that they do tend to be humid inside. A humid atmosphere even in a 70deg closed shed or garage will give conditions conducive to rust. So Ole, do you have a hygrometer in your garage? If so what is typical winter humidity? If it's snowing it will most likely be cold but humid outdoors and even if your basement is heated it may still be humid.Ole_imp said:Well, I'll be go to heck. I just read this thread, walked out into the garage, don't want to be a Debbie Downer but, my CB is showing some rust also.
I will email these pics to my dealer tomorrow. It is just the left side as you sit on the bike. The right side shows zero rust.
![]()
![]()
I have rode in the rain some. But my bike has been in a 72 degree basement since Dec 1st. I will report back what dealer has to say,,,,,
The humidity in my garage (doesn't need to be heated in Sydney) varies from 20% to over 90% depending on the ambient. After cleaning I generally spray forks, oleos, linkages etc with a rubber friendly silicone spray. (As an aside, Cormanus, I don't use the high pressure cleaner directly on seals or areas where the electrics may be affected.)
My bike has been wet for periods of over a week (on a ride back from Adelaide last year it literally pissed down for five days straight and the ride to and fro the MotoGP this year was only slightly better). However my bike doesn't show the rust that I've seen in this thread. When I said, in a previous post, that there was some slight corrosion at the underside ends of the oil cooler pipes it has made me think that this is an area that I haven't been careful with.
Once again this rust thread has got me puzzled. I have had some trust in Honda as far as build quality goes so I would hate to think that I have just been lucky.
Cheers
Thanks.Pterodactyl_imp said:For rust you need moisture. This can take the form of visible moisture, rain, dew, fog, tapwater (cleaning), or not visible, high humidity for example. My point re the cover was that they do tend to be humid inside. A humid atmosphere even in a 70deg closed shed or garage will give conditions conducive to rust. So Ole, do you have a hygrometer in your garage? If so what is typical winter humidity? If it's snowing it will most likely be cold but humid outdoors and even if your basement is heated it may still be humid.Ole_imp said:Well, I'll be go to heck. I just read this thread, walked out into the garage, don't want to be a Debbie Downer but, my CB is showing some rust also.
I will email these pics to my dealer tomorrow. It is just the left side as you sit on the bike. The right side shows zero rust.
![]()
![]()
I have rode in the rain some. But my bike has been in a 72 degree basement since Dec 1st. I will report back what dealer has to say,,,,,
The humidity in my garage (doesn't need to be heated in Sydney) varies from 20% to over 90% depending on the ambient. After cleaning I generally spray forks, oleos, linkages etc with a rubber friendly silicone spray. (As an aside, Cormanus, I don't use the high pressure cleaner directly on seals or areas where the electrics may be affected.)
My bike has been wet for periods of over a week (on a ride back from Adelaide last year it literally pissed down for five days straight and the ride to and fro the MotoGP this year was only slightly better). However my bike doesn't show the rust that I've seen in this thread. When I said, in a previous post, that there was some slight corrosion at the underside ends of the oil cooler pipes it has made me think that this is an area that I haven't been careful with.
Once again this rust thread has got me puzzled. I have had some trust in Honda as far as build quality goes so I would hate to think that I have just been lucky.
Cheers
Humidity has to be a factor here. In the wet season it can be incredibly humid—in excess of 90%. I'm clearly going to have to rethink how I protect the bike when it's parked.

There is very little difference. The three oleo struts on my plane work just like upside down motorcycle forks (i.e. slider is on top). There's a provision for adding pressurized air for additional cushioning effect, which is present on some motorcycle forks (but bikes tend to use vastly lower air pressure).Lord Popgun_imp said:I work on Navy aircraft (DOD civilian). Ok, I work on radar, but the mech in our office says that oleo struts work almost exactly like the forks on a motorcycle.
Learning English from Mike Brewer is like learning child minding from Michael Jackson. :dodgy:Tortuga_imp said:Learning English from Mike Brewer is like learning child minding from Michael Jackson. :dodgy:Lord Popgun_imp said:Ferret,
I've been watching Wheeler Dealers car show on TV and am learning to speak Brit from that![]()

. The Rust Fairy is doomed.
It is. I have ordered both the 303 and the ACF50 from Oz distributors.Cormanus_imp said:Thanks Popgun. I'll go a-hunting next week when I'm back home again. Seems like it's readily available in Australia.
G'day Tyke57nz,Tyke57nz_imp said:Maybe have a look at this product as a possible alternative http://www.lanoguard.co.nz/testimonial5.html

G'day Tyke57nz,Pterodactyl_imp said:G'day Tyke57nz,Tyke57nz_imp said:Maybe have a look at this product as a possible alternative http://www.lanoguard.co.nz/testimonial5.html
Would give it a go, even if only to show the ANZAC spirit still lives on. I am not sure if Lanoguard is just starting, or in the process of leaving, Oz. Phones disconnected (in Syd) and local websites not responding. Lanoguard is not listed as a product at major retailers like Bunnings, BCF, AutoBarn or SuperCheap etc. The NZ online order site is not responding but the product is available from eBay but shipment is from the UK. Will have another look soon.
Thanks for the tip though as if it lives up to its claims it looks an ideal Rust Fairy slayer.
Cheers

Thanks mate, will follow up.Tyke57nz_imp said:G'day Tyke57nz,Pterodactyl_imp said:G'day Tyke57nz,Tyke57nz_imp said:Maybe have a look at this product as a possible alternative http://www.lanoguard.co.nz/testimonial5.html
Would give it a go, even if only to show the ANZAC spirit still lives on. I am not sure if Lanoguard is just starting, or in the process of leaving, Oz. Phones disconnected (in Syd) and local websites not responding. Lanoguard is not listed as a product at major retailers like Bunnings, BCF, AutoBarn or SuperCheap etc. The NZ online order site is not responding but the product is available from eBay but shipment is from the UK. Will have another look soon.
Thanks for the tip though as if it lives up to its claims it looks an ideal Rust Fairy slayer.
Cheers
Would give it a go, even if only to show the ANZAC spirit still lives on. I am not sure if Lanoguard is just starting, or in the process of leaving, Oz. Phones disconnected (in Syd) and local websites not responding. Lanoguard is not listed as a product at major retailers like Bunnings, BCF, AutoBarn or SuperCheap etc. The NZ online order site is not responding but the product is available from eBay but shipment is from the UK. Will have another look soon.
Thanks for the tip though as if it lives up to its claims it looks an ideal Rust Fairy slayer.
Cheers G`day Pterodactyl, CRC make a product quite similar available in Aussie - http://www.crcindustries.com.au/lanoshield-corrosion-inhibitor. On the link I sent you have to type in Lanoshield and it takes you to the product - 3150 appears to be the CRC Part Number. We can buy it here at a variety of stores but Super Cheap Auto is my nearest.Rang the Lanoguard Cellphone and have left a message for contact details. I have used the product on my Land Rovers for a number of years and it appears to be the ducks nuts so far.
Dakota_imp said:
Today's proud owners of shiny chrome dripping retros are tomorrow's rat-bike builders it seems.Ridem32_imp said:Read the whole post and looked at all pics ! 2013 & 2014 bikes should not have no rust at all even if you get caught in the rain a few times. These bikes are brand new and should look that way. Yes pledge works good but the chrome fenders and triple trees should not rust on any bike or car less than one year old !! Honda is known for great bikes and factory honda should replace every single rusted part. What will that fender look like in 5 years. ? JMO
Michael
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk