Rubber Lever End Thingies

Elipten_imp said:
Spit on lever and in RETLET, use dry cloth to grab it and push it on with some wiggle movement. Nothing to it! Now go eat some Wheaties in the morning, man up and get them on! I guess a video is needed, which means I've got to buy a third CB.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+! on what Elipen said. And now you don't have to read the whole thread! :P

WD or something works as good as the spit too.
 
EGAlvarez_imp said:
What the heck is the secret to getting these RLETs on the levers! I tried WD-40, stretching them out with needle nose pliers to the point that I was certain they were about to rip, heating them up with the heat gun on low and still, nothing. I decided to do what I should have done from the beginning and I stepped away and enjoyed a cold beer; the RLET's meanwhile were being stretched out over the heads of some pretty big bolts that I shoved into them, but still, after trying again, no luck. :@

I went inside to have some Thin Mints and milk to lift my spirits and I am now off to bed...it's 0025 on the east coast!
Even after reading all 36 pages I struggled a bit at first. The key is what Elipten said except that if you have any latex or rubber gloves the job is that much easier. It's the dry rubber-to-rubber contact that I found made it super easy. Any kind of lubrication should work just keep the outside (this is key) of the RLET dry, pinch it firmly as you work it over the ball and with the extra grip of a rubber glove it just slides right on.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Maybe he was just being ironic, Mickey.
Maybe he has a quote for getting the source wrong. :blush:

Plus, I don't think I'm smart enough to be ironic...
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
Spit on lever and in RETLET, use dry cloth to grab it and push it on with some wiggle movement. Nothing to it! Now go eat some Wheaties in the morning, man up and get them on! I guess a video is needed, which means I've got to buy a third CB.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+! on what Elipen said. And now you don't have to read the whole thread! :P

WD or something works as good as the spit too.
+! on what Elipen said. And now you don't have to read the whole thread! :P

WD or something works as good as the spit too.
yep.. I ruined 1 1/2 pair of RLETS before I finally wised up used WD40 and a good shove directly from the back end.

Gotta hit up my dealer for some more RLETS so that I can finish up the rest of the bikes... greatest accessory, ever !
 
WD40! That costs money! And maybe some unknown reaction. Spit is pure and natural. Dry and grip is key. With a shove from the back, push don't pull.

Congrats, and welcome to the club!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Holdiing the dry RLET with a glove or dry rag makes a huge difference.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Holdiing the dry RLET with a glove or dry rag makes a huge difference.
Especially after Elipten spits all over it.:excited:

Cormanus is correct, as usual, and that is the secret.
 
Thread starter
I was trying to keep that excitement out of the story, popgun. But, as usual you're right, Elipten's spit is a pretty important element in the installation of RLETs. Just as well he bottles it and sells it on Amazon. :P
 
Behold! The secret to making these things go on easily!
Ram the ends of a big fat marker into the RLETs and then go to bed. Leave RLETs with marker stuffed into them on your workbench until you return from work the next afternoon. When you get home from work, grab a cold beer out of the garage fridge and admire the CB for a couple of minutes while removing your dress shirt. Then, pull one RLET off marker, spray a bit of WD-40 into RLET and then using the "two handed pinch, pull, wiggle over the end of the lever using one hand to advance leading edge and a dry paper towel in the other to keep pressure!" method mentioned in pages 1-35.

And now I am officially one of the cool kids! :thumbsup:
 
Alright Ed. Knew you could do it. :clap:

Looks awesome huh? :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Congratulations, EGA. Welcome.
 
Well I guess I'm off to a good start. My first post on the forum, as I went to the local dealer this morning and bought a brandy new CB1100. I get it on Friday.......my rlets get here tomorrow...guess I can break them in while I am waiting for my bike
 
Yep good start...and welcome to the forum. Stop over at new members and tell us a little about yourself.
 
lash_imp said:
Well I guess I'm off to a good start. My first post on the forum, as I went to the local dealer this morning and bought a brandy new CB1100. I get it on Friday.......my rlets get here tomorrow...guess I can break them in while I am waiting for my bike
Put them under your pillow, the RLETS fairy will wave her magic wand and they will slip right on.
 
Welcome Lash!

Soon Lash will be posting "how do you get these blankety blank things on?" :)

But then Lash, to quote Ferret, perfection--ahhh
 
My clutch lever was most friendly tonight as the RLET slide on with a tad of dishwasher soap in about 30 seconds. The brake lever, however, wanted to be very contrary and I bet I tried to install the RLET for over 20 minutes! I took a long break and decided to tackle it again. This time, I tied the brake lever to the grip and put on a pair of plastic gloves. Don't ask me how, but I managed to get it on in about 1 minute, twisting and grunting and voila! it popped in place They do look nice!
 
Thread starter
It's the twisting and grunting that does the trick.
 
" They do look nice"


Yes they do!
 
Back
Top