Rode my new CB1100 Home Yesterday

suhawk305

Road warrior
Thread starter
I ordered my new 2014 CB1100 Standard on November 1st, and I took delivery of the bike yesterday afternoon. I had the dealer order and install OEM rear carrier and engine guard. (I know I could have saved money doing this myself, but at least they gave me a little discount.) My salesperson Deb wisely went through the CB's controls with me knowing my riding experience is on my 1967 CB77 Superhawk since about 1973, and other Hondas before that. Another hint I needed direction resulted form my questions like "Where is the headlight on-off switch? What is it like riding with disc brakes vs drum brakes?" This is a time-warp shock experience for an old rider like me! Hitting the starter button and the bikes idles without fooling with a choke and throttle! The attached picture is me and my wife on my CB taken in front of Mavrix Motorsports, Middletown, NY, minutes prior to my maiden ride to my garage (about 16 miles, 26 km). I wanted to go the long way home, but the temperature was dropping fast (close to sundown), and the whitetail deer are in rut and unpredictable.
What an awesome experience for a guy like me! After a test drive on the dealership property, I hit the streets and then the rural roads to my home. I was surprised how nice the CB handles! Well balanced, good center of gravity, friendly throttle and I could not feel the road bumps that impacts my body when I ride my old CB77. I do need more practice getting used to a far superior braking system and handling 200 lbs, 91 kg plus more, especially in a fast maneuver/emergency situations. I am easy on the throttle, a few more ponies getting to the rear wheel! A ride is on my schedule today before a winter weather system hits the NE US this weekend. I love this bike and I hope to ride it as long as long I have been riding my old CB77 (that will be until I am almost 110 years old!)
 
Got it all dialed in with the luggage rack and engine guards, way to be. Looking good on that thing, pretty sporty all the way around. Looks like the ABS version, too.
 
Congrats! I hope they showed you how to remove the seat...
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Congrats! I hope they showed you how to remove the seat...
Yes they did. When I was at the dealership, the service manager was putting a brand new battery in the CB since the original battery that came with the bike was already 3 years old. I was surprised that Honda packed a filled battery in the crate? While they were installing the battery, I handed him a Battery Tender Jr. pigtail.
 
Its comes with a Yuasa made in Japan battery in the crate. And they ain't cheap if you order an OEM one. Ask me and Ferret how we know.

PS. My dealer does the same thing. If the battery is not new upon delivery, they install a new OEM battery. Hopefully they remembered to put the lift strap on it.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Got it all dialed in with the luggage rack and engine guards, way to be. Looking good on that thing, pretty sporty all the way around. Looks like the ABS version, too.
To be clear, there is no ABS version of the 2014 STD. It was an option on 2013 models and standard equipment on the 2014 DLX's.
 
Ferret is correct, as usual. The pulser ring on the rear wheel is for the speed sensor. Drives the speedometer mostly. If you did have ABS, the bike would also have a pulser ring on the front and ABS modulator, etc. You do not have all that.
 
Thread starter
Yes, I knew all along in this deal that the Standard model is not equipped with ABS. At least on my part, in my thread, I praised the disc brakes due to its instant response when I engage them. I also based my delight with the disc brakes when I compared them to my almost 50 year old CB77 Superhawk, with twin lead drum brakes. Up to now, my CB77 was my daily rider. I know this comparison is like comparing apples and oranges.

BTW, The CB1100 Forum is a great source of info, especially for a guy like me! Do not be surprised I reach out and ask questions Like "Where is the Kick Starter and which direction do you kick it?" JUST KIDDING ON THAT ONE... ;)
 
Great story and write up. Congrats on your new bike! I'm just sorry it's November in NY -- this'll make for a very long winter!

It's been asked before -- how many more leftover '14's does Honda have in its warehouse?

Edit: I suppose it's November everywhere. That was a stupid thing to say.
 
Congrats Suhawk on the new cb! You'll really enjoy this bike, especially after riding the cb77 for so long. Feel free to ask questions here. Everyone will be helpful. Russ
 
Congratulations suhawk. Best wishes for many happy miles for the three of you.
 
Back
Top