clearviewx
Been there
welcome
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
We have something in our motorcycling roots in common. I think we are the same age (67). One of my first bikes (while still in high school, 1963-67) was also a Honda CB77 "305" Super Hawk. I bought mine brand new with my own hard earned money for as I recall only $795 (MSRP back in 1967 dollars). It was effectively my first "sport bike" although hardly worthy of that description by today's standards. I think it made all of 28 BHP (under the new SAE rating system, I guess that would be even less). I sold it after a few years and moved up to a '71 CB750, but before that I went on a 10 day long, 3300 mile cross country trip on my CB77 "305". Man was that a torture fest!suhawk305_imp said:I ordered my new 2014 CB1100 Standard on November 1st, and I took delivery of the bike yesterday afternoon. I had the dealer order and install OEM rear carrier and engine guard. (I know I could have saved money doing this myself, but at least they gave me a little discount.) My salesperson Deb wisely went through the CB's controls with me knowing my riding experience is on my 1967 CB77 Superhawk since about 1973, and other Hondas before that. Another hint I needed direction resulted form my questions like "Where is the headlight on-off switch? What is it like riding with disc brakes vs drum brakes?" This is a time-warp shock experience for an old rider like me! Hitting the starter button and the bikes idles without fooling with a choke and throttle! The attached picture is me and my wife on my CB taken in front of Mavrix Motorsports, Middletown, NY, minutes prior to my maiden ride to my garage (about 16 miles, 26 km). I wanted to go the long way home, but the temperature was dropping fast (close to sundown), and the whitetail deer are in rut and unpredictable.
What an awesome experience for a guy like me! After a test drive on the dealership property, I hit the streets and then the rural roads to my home. I was surprised how nice the CB handles! Well balanced, good center of gravity, friendly throttle and I could not feel the road bumps that impacts my body when I ride my old CB77. I do need more practice getting used to a far superior braking system and handling 200 lbs, 91 kg plus more, especially in a fast maneuver/emergency situations. I am easy on the throttle, a few more ponies getting to the rear wheel! A ride is on my schedule today before a winter weather system hits the NE US this weekend. I love this bike and I hope to ride it as long as long I have been riding my old CB77 (that will be until I am almost 110 years old!)
We have something in our motorcycling roots in common. I think we are the same age (67). One of my first bikes (while still in high school, 1963-67) was also a Honda CB77 "305" Super Hawk. I bought mine brand new with my own hard earned money for as I recall only $795 (MSRP back in 1967 dollars). It was effectively my first "sport bike" although hardly worthy of that description by today's standards. I think it made all of 28 BHP (under the new SAE rating system, I guess that would be even less). I sold it after a few years and moved up to a '71 CB750, but before that I went on a 10 day long, 3300 mile cross country trip on my CB77 "305". Man was that a torture fest!dsinned_imp said:We have something in our motorcycling roots in common. I think we are the same age (67). One of my first bikes (while still in high school, 1963-67) was also a Honda CB77 "305" Super Hawk. I bought mine brand new with my own hard earned money for as I recall only $795 (MSRP back in 1967 dollars). It was effectively my first "sport bike" although hardly worthy of that description by today's standards. I think it made all of 28 BHP (under the new SAE rating system, I guess that would be even less). I sold it after a few years and moved up to a '71 CB750, but before that I went on a 10 day long, 3300 mile cross country trip on my CB77 "305". Man was that a torture fest!suhawk305_imp said:I ordered my new 2014 CB1100 Standard on November 1st, and I took delivery of the bike yesterday afternoon. I had the dealer order and install OEM rear carrier and engine guard. (I know I could have saved money doing this myself, but at least they gave me a little discount.) My salesperson Deb wisely went through the CB's controls with me knowing my riding experience is on my 1967 CB77 Superhawk since about 1973, and other Hondas before that. Another hint I needed direction resulted form my questions like "Where is the headlight on-off switch? What is it like riding with disc brakes vs drum brakes?" This is a time-warp shock experience for an old rider like me! Hitting the starter button and the bikes idles without fooling with a choke and throttle! The attached picture is me and my wife on my CB taken in front of Mavrix Motorsports, Middletown, NY, minutes prior to my maiden ride to my garage (about 16 miles, 26 km). I wanted to go the long way home, but the temperature was dropping fast (close to sundown), and the whitetail deer are in rut and unpredictable.
What an awesome experience for a guy like me! After a test drive on the dealership property, I hit the streets and then the rural roads to my home. I was surprised how nice the CB handles! Well balanced, good center of gravity, friendly throttle and I could not feel the road bumps that impacts my body when I ride my old CB77. I do need more practice getting used to a far superior braking system and handling 200 lbs, 91 kg plus more, especially in a fast maneuver/emergency situations. I am easy on the throttle, a few more ponies getting to the rear wheel! A ride is on my schedule today before a winter weather system hits the NE US this weekend. I love this bike and I hope to ride it as long as long I have been riding my old CB77 (that will be until I am almost 110 years old!)
Anyways, congrats on your new 2014 CB1100. I Just got mine this past Spring and LOVE IT as well! It reminds me of the original Super Hawk I had in my youth, but what a difference in refinement over the last 50 years, huh?
How much did you pay for in NY? I paid $7500 (plus tax, license registration, freight and dealer setup fees). I assume you got a killer deal this late in the game for a two year leftover model still brand new. Imho, it's a beautiful "UJM", work of modern motorcycle art, worth every penny.
ENJOY!!!
More like comparing a dried up, shriveled, fifty year old apple with a fresh, juicy orangesuhawk305_imp said:Yes, I knew all along in this deal that the Standard model is not equipped with ABS. At least on my part, in my thread, I praised the disc brakes due to its instant response when I engage them. I also based my delight with the disc brakes when I compared them to my almost 50 year old CB77 Superhawk, with twin lead drum brakes. Up to now, my CB77 was my daily rider. I know this comparison is like comparing apples and oranges.
BTW, The CB1100 Forum is a great source of info, especially for a guy like me! Do not be surprised I reach out and ask questions Like "Where is the Kick Starter and which direction do you kick it?" JUST KIDDING ON THAT ONE...![]()


I tried asking my salesperson and she said she didn't know how many are left. Whether she could find out or not is unknown.LongRanger_imp said:Great story and write up. Congrats on your new bike! I'm just sorry it's November in NY -- this'll make for a very long winter!
It's been asked before -- how many more leftover '14's does Honda have in its warehouse?
Edit: I suppose it's November everywhere. That was a stupid thing to say.
More like comparing a dried up, shriveled, fifty year old apple with a fresh, juicy orangeFlynrider_imp said:More like comparing a dried up, shriveled, fifty year old apple with a fresh, juicy orangesuhawk305_imp said:Yes, I knew all along in this deal that the Standard model is not equipped with ABS. At least on my part, in my thread, I praised the disc brakes due to its instant response when I engage them. I also based my delight with the disc brakes when I compared them to my almost 50 year old CB77 Superhawk, with twin lead drum brakes. Up to now, my CB77 was my daily rider. I know this comparison is like comparing apples and oranges.
BTW, The CB1100 Forum is a great source of info, especially for a guy like me! Do not be surprised I reach out and ask questions Like "Where is the Kick Starter and which direction do you kick it?" JUST KIDDING ON THAT ONE...![]()
I recently had the reverse experience. I got the opportunity to go for a ride on a '70 CB750 a few weeks ago. It was like a trip back to the stone age. Those ancient brakes and suspensions were great in their day, but felt so crude compared to a modern CB. You probably feel like someone who traded in a handcrank model T for a modern sports car!
Congrats on the new ride. I'm sure you'll love it!

More like comparing a dried up, shriveled, fifty year old apple with a fresh, juicy orangeFlynrider_imp said:More like comparing a dried up, shriveled, fifty year old apple with a fresh, juicy orangesuhawk305_imp said:Yes, I knew all along in this deal that the Standard model is not equipped with ABS. At least on my part, in my thread, I praised the disc brakes due to its instant response when I engage them. I also based my delight with the disc brakes when I compared them to my almost 50 year old CB77 Superhawk, with twin lead drum brakes. Up to now, my CB77 was my daily rider. I know this comparison is like comparing apples and oranges.
BTW, The CB1100 Forum is a great source of info, especially for a guy like me! Do not be surprised I reach out and ask questions Like "Where is the Kick Starter and which direction do you kick it?" JUST KIDDING ON THAT ONE...![]()
I recently had the reverse experience. I got the opportunity to go for a ride on a '70 CB750 a few weeks ago. It was like a trip back to the stone age. Those ancient brakes and suspensions were great in their day, but felt so crude compared to a modern CB. You probably feel like someone who traded in a handcrank model T for a modern sports car!
Congrats on the new ride. I'm sure you'll love it!

Thanks for your advise!Ben70_imp said:Hey, suhawk. Don't kick yourself because you think you might have gotten a better deal. I had a similar experience knowing I could have saved some money when I purchased my 2013 used (very lightly) at a local dealer, but I liked buying local and had been drooling over the silly thing all summer. It is worth every penny and then some. I never even think about what I paid for it anymore. Besides, we can't maintain the value of our investment if they sell too cheap![]()