Road Rage - Car vs. Bike Results

dave

Road warrior
Thread starter
Hi forum members. I mentioned this incident on this forum back when it happened, but it didn't get any attention. This news article is about a woman who deliberately ran a motorcyclist down, killing him. I drive by the 300 foot long skid marks where she pushed his bike before he actually went down every day on my way home from work and it gives me a bad feeling each time. I am glad she was convicted, but I think she got off easy for taking a man's life...what do you think?
http://fox5sandiego.com/2017/01/17/...r-in-road-rage-crash-that-killed-navy-sailor/
 
As a rider, I can't imagine doing anything to incite rage in the driver of a vehicle that outweighs mine by a factor of 4 to 6 and who is surrounded by a protective cage of steel. He kicked her car and flipped her off? Nothing good could come of that.

It's two people who disrespected one another on the highway, lost control of their emotions (they "went limbic") and the one who was physically vulnerable died.

Reaction distance at 80 mph is about 117 feet and braking distance is 320 feet. The driver was chasing the motorcycle, he slowed down drastically and she overran him. I don't think she intended to murder him but she was primarily responsible for his death. I think his inciting behavior also contributed to his demise.

It was not murder.
 
She's going to be in jail, who knows, 5 maybe 8 years...or the full sentence. Did she set out to kill him? A couple of minutes before the incident ended, they had never even met. If you could only go back in time, one small decision on either part probably would have defused the whole thing. I can think of 2 incidents that could have led up to road rage, I suppose, while riding my mc. Both times, I simply didn't react when I guess I could have...but for what? To get "revenge"?...to "set him straight"?

I kind of like my family.
 
Thread starter
Stichill_imp said:
As a rider, I can't imagine doing anything to incite rage in the driver of a vehicle that outweighs mine by a factor of 4 to 6 and who is surrounded by a protective cage of steel. He kicked her car and flipped her off? Nothing good could come of that.

It's two people who disrespected one another on the highway, lost control of their emotions (they "went limbic") and the one who was physically vulnerable died.

Reaction distance at 80 mph is about 117 feet and braking distance is 320 feet. The driver was chasing the motorcycle, he slowed down drastically and she overran him. I don't think she intended to murder him but she was primarily responsible for his death. I think his inciting behavior also contributed to his demise.

It was not murder.
It was murder because that's the way the eye witnesses called it. If you read the history of the case witnesses described it very clearly. She pushed the bike 300 feet, and from the mark on the road it looks like the bike was being pushed sideways! She had a restraining order against her from a former boyfriend because she threatened to "run him over with her car".
 
Elipten_imp said:
Civility is in decline in our society.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Our society never was civil. People have always had the capability of being rotten, no decline, just more rotten people on earth.
 
Tragic story. If a cager goes after you for any reason while riding a motorcycle I guess the best thing to do is pull over to the side of the road and get off the bike.
 
Lunatic Fringe_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
Civility is in decline in our society.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Our society never was civil. People have always had the capability of being rotten, no decline, just more rotten people on earth.
Our society never was civil. People have always had the capability of being rotten, no decline, just more rotten people on earth.
Perhaps a better way of putting than is that humans were never civil so they invented society to moderate the worst of their behaviour. Seems to me we've forgotten that. Pity.
 
Stichill_imp said:
As a rider, I can't imagine doing anything to incite rage in the driver of a vehicle that outweighs mine by a factor of 4 to 6 and who is surrounded by a protective cage of steel. He kicked her car and flipped her off? Nothing good could come of that.

It's two people who disrespected one another on the highway, lost control of their emotions (they "went limbic") and the one who was physically vulnerable died.

Reaction distance at 80 mph is about 117 feet and braking distance is 320 feet. The driver was chasing the motorcycle, he slowed down drastically and she overran him. I don't think she intended to murder him but she was primarily responsible for his death. I think his inciting behavior also contributed to his demise.

It was not murder.
In my experience there is a strain of people out there that hate motorcyclists of any kind. Something as simple as passing them and or going around and getting in front of them can set them off. Allowing things to escalate from there should not be an issue since a bike could easily get away from any particular car in most situations. If the deceased tried to have a rolling fight with the driver, stupid on him. She threw her life away (and can rot in Jail for the duration) and he lost his over nothing. Sad
 
Stichill_imp said:
As a rider, I can't imagine doing anything to incite rage in the driver of a vehicle that outweighs mine by a factor of 4 to 6 and who is surrounded by a protective cage of steel. He kicked her car and flipped her off? Nothing good could come of that.

It's two people who disrespected one another on the highway, lost control of their emotions (they "went limbic") and the one who was physically vulnerable died.

Reaction distance at 80 mph is about 117 feet and braking distance is 320 feet. The driver was chasing the motorcycle, he slowed down drastically and she overran him. I don't think she intended to murder him but she was primarily responsible for his death. I think his inciting behavior also contributed to his demise.

It was not murder.
I would agree, except for the fact that I had read the history of this woman. She has done things like this in the past, just never got around to actually enacting the violence against a person. I'm relatively certain she intended great bodily harm, perhaps not death. She should rot for the full 11 years.
 
No way in any manner do I condone what the female driver did. No way in any manner do I condone what the motorcyclist did either. Terrible way to learn the axiom "might has right, even if they are wrong".

Sad case all around.
 
I know exactly where that incident took place. Very sad. Kicking in car doors is an "acceptable" practice by certain fringe elements of the biker community, and I use the term "biker" in a derogatory sense. Despite what she may have done to set him off, I believe his actions precipitated his own demise. Yes, stupid is as stupid does. Regardless, I hope they lock her up.
 
Back
Top