RLET?s? How do you get them on?

Whoops

Been there
Thread starter
I tried searching but try searching for RLET’s on this forum. You get the phone book.

How the heck do you get the big silver ball in that tiny little opening? I tried water, a screwdriver, brute force, Notta. Hints please…
 
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i'm so excited. i finally get to be the one to do this:

olive oil and a good shop rag. keep the outside of the Rlet completely dry (no oil) apply the oil to the end of the bar end. hold the Rlet with the rag. press the Rlet onto the lever with a kind of steady force with a back and forth wiggle.

done.
 
There will be many "experts" who will choose to weigh in on this important topic, but I'll add my $0.02 (or maybe 3 cents) to the discussion:

1) I haven't tried Mr.Professionality's method personally, but it sounds both intriguing and effective.
2) I "learned" using the hot water and dish soap method. 30 seconds to get the first one on, about 15 for the second (as I recall). Of course, I spent about 3 months staring at them in my toolbox, dreading my first attempt, in the event that I would feel compelled to report a "failure" on this forum!
3) I bent a clutch lever, and had to take one off to put it on the new one. Here's what I discovered. I used my air compressor with one of those basketball needle inflator thingys. There's a small hole in the end that fits it perfectly. Pump air in, it balloons out, and poof it's off! Same procedure (in reverse) to put it on. Snug the big open end up to the ball on the lever. Pump some air in, it blows up a little, and poof, it's back on.

Whichever advice you plan to follow, please report back results, and good luck!
 
The first one took me just under 1 minute, the second rlet, about 15 second if I remember correctly ...no special tool at all, just couple of oil drops or something similar/slippery :rolleyes:
 
This is what I did: put my RLETS in my pocket and drove to my friendly Honda dealer. A young service guy popped them on my levers in about 45 seconds. I have absolutely no shame for getting someone else doing this for me. ;)
 
Disappointed in you I am Suhawk. Strong with the force, you are not. RLETs protected by you still are :D

Whoops,

The journey to RLET enlighenment is one you must take on your own. A Padawan you will remain untill success you achieve.
 
+1 KiowaEagle - a little dab of washing up liquid on the lever ball which will eventually disappear. Can't say I would be mad on an Organic Olive Oil long term? As misterprofessionality mentions, outside needs to be bone dry.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I decided that I wasn't going to let some mechanic slip a rubber on my lever-end.
:rofl:

= = =

But seriously folks ...

* Add a little petroleum jelly to da ball,
* Add a little petroleum jelly to the lips of Arlette,
* Place fingers around Arlette's opening and gently place on lever tip,
* Pucker yer lips, focus those eyes and then,

Pop! It's in, err, on.

Arlette has a twin, so twice the joy.
 
The A-man_imp said:
There will be many "experts" who will choose to weigh in on this important topic, but I'll add my $0.02 (or maybe 3 cents) to the discussion:

1) I haven't tried Mr.Professionality's method personally, but it sounds both intriguing and effective.
2) I "learned" using the hot water and dish soap method. 30 seconds to get the first one on, about 15 for the second (as I recall). Of course, I spent about 3 months staring at them in my toolbox, dreading my first attempt, in the event that I would feel compelled to report a "failure" on this forum!
3) I bent a clutch lever, and had to take one off to put it on the new one. Here's what I discovered. I used my air compressor with one of those basketball needle inflator thingys. There's a small hole in the end that fits it perfectly. Pump air in, it balloons out, and poof it's off! Same procedure (in reverse) to put it on. Snug the big open end up to the ball on the lever. Pump some air in, it blows up a little, and poof, it's back on.

Whichever advice you plan to follow, please report back results, and good luck!
f79af98001dc9551e1223b1c5db8ec3e.jpg
 
Thread starter
Holy crap the replies here are great.

1) Oil tends to break down rubber (if they are rubber) over time so as much as I love the smell of olive oil wafting from my levers, I might give that a pass.
2) I tried using the force but my midichlorian count must be too low.
3) Soap seems like a viable backup plan, hopefully they eventually dry out and stop slipping (or is there a gooey muck left under them?).
4) I concur. Only the wife gets to put a rubber on my ball end. I don't care how many others go this route. Not my cup of tea. ;)
5) I do have a ball inflation needle and this sounds like it might be a bit tricky at first, but not adding other substances that might cause them to slip/smell/strike me down with their hate/let a Honda tech mess with my lever, seems the best course of action.

If you don't hear from me in three days, I have impaled myself with the needle and bled out on the garage floor while my dogs repeatedly dropped a ball on me trying to get me to play. If so, expect a "for sale" post by my wife shortly thereafter.
 
:rofl:

The journey to Rlet-hood can be fraught with danger
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Pretty amazing Forum self-discipline to colour within the lines. :)


Sometime those RLETs can bring the animal out of Forum membership.
Yeah,,,,especially when one's mother is actually named...

Arlette

:cool:
 
I'll come find you.

Whoops_imp said:
Holy crap the replies here are great.

1) Oil tends to break down rubber (if they are rubber) over time so as much as I love the smell of olive oil wafting from my levers, I might give that a pass.
2) I tried using the force but my midichlorian count must be too low.
3) Soap seems like a viable backup plan, hopefully they eventually dry out and stop slipping (or is there a gooey muck left under them?).
4) I concur. Only the wife gets to put a rubber on my ball end. I don't care how many others go this route. Not my cup of tea. ;)
5) I do have a ball inflation needle and this sounds like it might be a bit tricky at first, but not adding other substances that might cause them to slip/smell/strike me down with their hate/let a Honda tech mess with my lever, seems the best course of action.

If you don't hear from me in three days, I have impaled myself with the needle and bled out on the garage floor while my dogs repeatedly dropped a ball on me trying to get me to play. If so, expect a "for sale" post by my wife shortly thereafter.
 
I use just water as lubricant, and rubber gloves to get a good grip on the RLET. I've mounted four sets that way, seldom needs more than half a minute. Let sit overnight to dry out.
 
Back
Top