I would like to hear Suhawk305 professional engineering opinion about RLET's engineering, please.
Sorry I can’t help you with this Peter. I selected a different specialty in college. RLET design and testing courses are more common in A-man’s specialty.
However, what I believe modern RLETs have been slightly modified compared the original 1960s version. The modern RLETS appears shorter. I assume this design modification was the result of extensive wind tunnel testing?
The picture of the (aftermarket levers) RLETs on my 1967 CB77 are representative of the early RLETs:
Since my name was invoked, I'll offer an opinion. I think that astute Honda engineers were concerned that bare levers would create laminar air flow and thus increased drag (duh!), and therefore sought a solution to create turbulent air flow around the lever end fittings. Hence the birth of the RLET. Q.E.D.
It could be possible that RLET technology was leaked from Area 51, given its simple, yet odd shape, basic colour mystique and the effect on Honda aerodynamics.