Removing stickers

ncgeezer_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
This is probably a newbie question, but what suggestions do you guys have for removing gas tank stickers safely? Thanks
 
I used a heat gun to warm them up and then peeled them off. The residue I wiped off with Turtle Wax adhesive remover. No problem. A hair dryer will also work...
 
Thread starter
Tripod_imp said:
I used a heat gun to warm them up and then peeled them off. The residue I wiped off with Turtle Wax adhesive remover. No problem. A hair dryer will also work...
Thanks!
 
Be careful with a heat gun. Use low heat so as not to heat the paint too much. A hair dryer will work too. Or let them sit in the sun for a while.

They come right off like Tripod said.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Be careful with a heat gun. Use low heat so as not to heat the paint too much. A hair dryer will work too. Or let them sit in the sun for a while.

They come right off like Tripod said.
Yes, definitely be careful with the heat gun, you don't want to ruin that beautiful paint!
 
Use a blow dryer for about 30 seconds. Peel them off. The safest substance to get any adhesive residue off of painted parts is WD-40. It will not harm paint and dissolves adhesive.

Chip
 
If the label has baked to the point of crumbling (due to the effects of UV sun exposure), peel what you can as members suggested. Any annoying residue can be "polished" or wiped off with common varsol / recordsol, followed up by soap and water (or similar), and if required, some vehicle polish. Remember: In the case of the tank, the paint is gasoline resistant (to a point), so recordsol is relatively mild. Depending on the adhesive, rubbing alcohol might be enough too, as well as cooking oil/olive oil. Always try in a small area first to check results.

Avoid use of products like "Goof-off" and similar acetone-based gunk removers. You will take the finish coat off. Unless you are extremely steady-handed, maybe avoid the razor blade too.
 
OK, I took the plunge and finally removed the silly stickers on the tank regarding wearing a helmet, and loading. Used a heat gun to warm them up and then a small plastic paint scraper to peel. Then iso-alcohol to remove the adhesive. Followed by a wash and Meguiars wax. Looks clean and shiny now. A little difficult to do because I let it go for a while...….
 
When you've peeled them off, store them safely for about 50 years.
Restorers will pay an arm and a leg for them then, to stick back onto their latest CB1100 restoration museum piece!! :D
 
Ha, funny, Bazbro. When I went to go look at my bike for the first time, the original owner had a bunch of items lined up on a table for my inspection. The owners manual, shop manual, second key, and, all three of the tank decals, which he had carefully removed, and placed, in order and spacing, onto a clear piece of plastic.

At that point I thought to myself that this guy was as anal retentive as I am, and that this was the perfect bike for me.
 
Ya know, you can order all those decals. They are all in the fiche. Jus sayin.
 
Back
Top