Removing and reinstalling rear wheel

Thread starter
A buddy installed a tape kit on his GROM (three different lengths as well as some lettering) and he kinda botched it. He strongly advised doing it off the bike. After doing the job I think I have to agree. After the grief with rear wheel I won't redo it unless I can find a way to do it easier.

So, no, not impossible, but much easier to do if you do it.
 
I installed blue rim tape on my Fz-1 with the wheels on the bike sitting on my butt out in the drive way....4 or 5 curved pieces per side of each wheel if memory serves me.
 
Over the years I have taken rear wheels of my Honda,s many,many times and I always use wood of the correct thickness under the wheel to get it up to the proper height.
Now you do not have to lift the wheel up and just concentrate on lining up the parts,I never had any help and it was no problem at all.
 
Quote:Now you do not have to lift the wheel up and just concentrate on lining up the parts,I never had any help and it was no problem at all.
I'll have to see if my little scissor jack can be adjusted that low. Once set to the proper height before wheel removal something like that could maybe work. Do you think?
 
Thread starter
Probably not. A 2x4 is probably too thick. Going from memory (dicey at best, plus I didn't get my face on the ground to eye ball it) but I think something on the order of 1-1/8" to 1-3/8" is needed. The wheel is off the ground but not that far.
 
I cut a 2x4 on a taper that I use sometimes ( mostly for getting the ST on the centerstand when loaded or with a rear flat) but it does double duty for holding a wheel off the ground when needed. Just stick it under as far as it is needed.

I will go take a pic

 
Thread starter
Do you prefer Spruce, Pine or Fir? :angel:

Figure we could if wood species could be a good potential hot topic. :P
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Ahhh. Man the tool-maker. Its what separates us from monkeys.

Funny...right now I am sharing a banana with my grandson. :dodgy:
 
Thread starter
Monkey's use tools too. Turns out they are not alone so tool making and using is not unique to man. It seems every year or so it's proven that something we do and we think we alone do is being done by an ant or gorilla or something. Even Elephants are good painters!

I hope my bike does not notice the 2x4 is not metric. :angel:
 
Quote:Even Elephants are good painters!
I have total respect for all of the creatures on this earth. Right now I am having a discussion with the Squirrels attacking my bird feeders. The Raccoons gave up and went south for the winter, but the Squirrels are incorrigible. It requires negotiating skills to deal with them. Please do not suggest firearms or poisons. I am a human, they are animals. It's a fair fight so far.
 
meowguy_imp said:
Quote:Even Elephants are good painters!
I have total respect for all of the creatures on this earth. Right now I am having a discussion with the Squirrels attacking my bird feeders. The Raccoons gave up and went south for the winter, but the Squirrels are incorrigible. It requires negotiating skills to deal with them. Please do not suggest firearms or poisons. I am a human, they are animals. It's a fair fight so far.
I have total respect for all of the creatures on this earth. Right now I am having a discussion with the Squirrels attacking my bird feeders. The Raccoons gave up and went south for the winter, but the Squirrels are incorrigible. It requires negotiating skills to deal with them. Please do not suggest firearms or poisons. I am a human, they are animals. It's a fair fight so far.

Squirrel baffles or quit feeding black oil sunflower and start feeding safflower seeds, but squirrel baffles are the answer
 
Thread starter
Cheapest WORKING squirrel baffle, a length of 5" or 6" round vent pipe. Tested in my front yard in Minnesota and found to be squirrel proof. Snap it around the support pipe of your feeder (assuming it's free standing and not hanging).


You may have to paint it to make it look better.
 
Thread starter
Poor form to poison the guys. They get plenty of food typically from the fruits/nuts etc from other trees. But they do like to hoard, hence the desire to get to the bird seed.
 
Back
Top