reduced waves this weekend - cause for concern?

glenridgerich_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I rode 265 miles this weekend (round trip over two days) and was disappointed in my wave count. Personally, I'm a waver...I wave 98% of the time (the 2% that I don't is when it would be unsafe to do so). All in, I got about 60% waves during this recent excursion. It was a disappointing wave count if you ask me. I love the two-wheeled brotherhood wave. It's fun and it let's me know I'm amongst the happy minority of people who are motorcycle riders. I'm generally not a judgemental person but I think riders who don't wave are D**SH's.
 
glenridgerich_imp said:
I rode 265 miles this weekend (round trip over two days) and was disappointed in my wave count. Personally, I'm a waver...I wave 98% of the time (the 2% that I don't is when it would be unsafe to do so). All in, I got about 60% waves during this recent excursion. It was a disappointing wave count if you ask me. I love the two-wheeled brotherhood wave. It's fun and it let's me know I'm amongst the happy minority of people who are motorcycle riders. I'm generally not a judgemental person but I think riders who don't wave are D**SH's.
:hello:
 
I used to wave to everyone, after all we are all brothers on two wheels IMO. (and 3 wheels for that matter). But yesterday really disgusted me so, I have become "the returner". Yesterday was a beautiful day..lots and lots of bikes out. Won't say what the vast majority were. If you get 4 out of 10 to wave back here you are lucky. I give up. If someone waves to me I will "return" the wave. If not I'm not going to bother. Hard habit to break.
 
Meh. Maybe their attention was elsewhere when you waved and didn't see you time. Maybe they are self centered you know whats. YOU waved so good on you. Keep spreading the good will. Karma will fix the others. :D
 
I get the brotherhood thing, but I hate the wave.

I care about safety. Which means leaving both my hands on the bars. If I get a wave I nod my head.

Most of the wavers shouldn't be taking their hand off their bars anyway!!!!
 
I just find it rude. I am acknowledging them..saying hello if you will. If I walk up to someone and say hello, I don't expect to be ignored. I expect them to say hello back. Only a rude person would ignore you. My hang up. That's why I have become "the returner" ba ba badum! (super hero music)

What's the world coming to? lol
 
Glad I live in a place where everyone waves, even people in cars wave. A cultural tradition in the rural south and one I'm delighted to say, is still alive.
 
The wave, in my opinion, is for the benefit of the waver. It matters only marginally to me if I get a return wave because I know I did my part to acknowledge the brotherhood.
 
I find it depends. Harley riders around here don't seem to wave to non Harleys; sport bikers wave, but there seems to be a minimum speed or lean angle in corners required to be deserving of it (usually 120-140kph it seems); all the cafe guys I see wave.

I wave to everyone (and feel bad when I don't return because I'm clutching or in a turn that needs both hands).

The motorcycle community seems to be a bit strange sometimes. My friend's phone flew out of her jacket on our last ride and 4 of us pulled over to help her look for it at the side of the road. Probably 15-20 bikes rode by our group and our pulled over bikes while we were searching and not even one looked over, slowed down, or gave any type of "okay?" gesture or anything.
 
I think I posted this previously. When I'm on one of my BMW's, everyone waves -- BMW riders, HD riders, sports bike riders, cruisers, ADV riders... When I'm on the CB, nobody waves, especially not BMW riders. They are the absolute worst! I'll occasionally get a wave from a HD rider, but definitely not as often as when I'm riding a BMW. I've given up worrying about it.
 
Here in Wisconsin you almost certainly won't get any acknowledgement from a HD rider unless you are one. And I have noticed the rare occasions I do its when I'm not wearing a helmet around town. Other than that demographic, most give you the low open hand, nod, or


Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
The above comment is inconsistent with my experience. I almost always get a wave from HD riders in America's Dairyland.
 
curlyjoe_imp said:
In my part of New England, most riders wave and more than half are Harleys or other types of cruisers.
Same down here. I wave to all riders and it's very rare that a rider doesn't wave or nod back. I do feel slighted if they don't, but then I would feel snobbish if I didn't.

Not to be stereotypical, but when I was picking up my RT the other day a guy pulled up on a new BMW Sport Bike. He was dressed in full black leather down to the boots, pulled off his full helmet and had long grey hair w/matching beard. Had I seen him anywhere else I would have sworn he would be riding a Harley.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
The above comment is inconsistent with my experience. I almost always get a wave from HD riders in America's Dairyland.
maybe when youre around butthole-ville WI.


Around milwaukee forget it...also: maybe because alot of the urban area riders are weekend warriors.
 
I'd say I get about 90% waves, from all types of bikes. I think in the DC area we all feel a bit under the gun on the roads and so we feel a stronger bond of brotherhood than in other areas. It's sort of a "Good on you for hanging in there!" wave.
 
Maybe I'm just too young, but I find it very strange that anyone would get worked up about not waving or not getting a wave in return. I don't always wave back. I will if there's nothing else I'm focused on, but if I'm keeping an eye on traffic or in the middle of shifting, sorry, you're not getting a wave back. It's at the bottom of my priority list when riding.
 
only return wave if waved to like The ferret said...
 
Back
Top