Redesign ideas

White Dog_imp

Been there
Thread starter
This may have been answered already, but there are a couple of design things which could be improved on the CB1100.
1. A more friendly seat--wider, softer, tipped up at front.
2. Wider mirror stems
3. Re-position driver pegs forward. (I feel like I'm riding a tricycle trying to fold my legs back.
4. Shaft drive
5. Much larger capacity gas tank
6. Offset handlebar risers (to allow more upright sitting)
7. A diffferent configured rear brake lever

I have had to purchase after-market for all the above except 3, 4 and 5 for my 2014 Standard. I had my brake lever heated and bent, and added other farkles. Not every rider stands 5'5" and weighs 120 lbs, which seems to be the standard for many Asian cycles. I've always owned Honda cycles but have had to alter many of them to provide comfort for my 6'0" big-sized body. Why doesn't Honda design a cycle for the American rider? Does Honda have financial ties to all the accessory manufacturers?
 
I had two issue with 3 & 4

3. No... Heck no... Fcuk no .... If you want forward pegs get a cruiser or get crash bars and put pegs on em... I like the standard position with my feet under me, where they should be and where they were on the orig 750

4 would add weight, and make it more of a pita to change sprockets to set gear ratios... While there is no chain maintenance with em, if they go bad it gets ugly quick, ask a bmw owner
 
1 and 5 are a bit hard for me, but otherwise the CB is fine. I'm 6'4" and 230lbs and I've never had a problem with any of the ergos of the bike.
 
To each his own...none of the above really resonate with me, but I'm on the side of wanting the bike lighter and more powerful with a slightly sportier bent


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Feet forward position reduces control. Shaft drive not in keeping with the retro spirit of this bike. If you wanted a bigger tank you should've gone with the DLX.
 
I'll go for 5 and 7. More range would be nice, a buffer for an oops.

7; my Sidi boots and my feet tend to ride the rear brake (I bent it in a bit and that has helped).

Shaft drive: get a Guzzi. There are good reasons for shaft and chain. For this bike chain makes more sense.

Pegs, I'm tempted to put GL1800 pegs. Found out some Norge owners have done that. Wider, more comfort.
 
Except for the shaft drive, you sound like you're describing the CTX1300

I'd like a taller seat, but wider would be awful for me, at least in the corners. It wouldn't be terrible to have a slightly larger tank, but it's virtually irrelevant to me. The mirrors are fine for me as is the peg position. Not sure what's wrong with the rear brake lever.
 
White Dog_imp said:
This may have been answered already, but there are a couple of design things which could be improved on the CB1100.
1. A more friendly seat--wider, softer, tipped up at front.
2. Wider mirror stems
3. Re-position driver pegs forward. (I feel like I'm riding a tricycle trying to fold my legs back.
4. Shaft drive
5. Much larger capacity gas tank
6. Offset handlebar risers (to allow more upright sitting)
7. A diffferent configured rear brake lever

I have had to purchase after-market for all the above except 3, 4 and 5 for my 2014 Standard. I had my brake lever heated and bent, and added other farkles. Not every rider stands 5'5" and weighs 120 lbs, which seems to be the standard for many Asian cycles. I've always owned Honda cycles but have had to alter many of them to provide comfort for my 6'0" big-sized body. Why doesn't Honda design a cycle for the American rider? Does Honda have financial ties to all the accessory manufacturers?
Don't be too hard on Honda. They do, after all, offer the Valkyrie, the Shadow, the CTX, The Gold Wing, the VTX1300, and the CTX1300. Forward pegs, wide seats, shafts drives, big gas tanks, large mirrors, reverse gear, all sorts of good stuff. A 6ft big bloke can surely find something there. I wouldn't buy a Gold Wing and try to accessorise it to be a CB1100. :) The CB is, after all, just a retro UJM that you can farkle a bit.

Cheers
 
LongRanger_imp said:
^ Agreed. I'm 6'6" 220 lbs and the ergos are spot on for me. No risers, no peg lowering, no Corbin. OE is fine.
Same for me at 5' 9", 180.
Everything is a natural fit for me.
 
To each their own, but my only gripe is the seat being too low. I wish Honda offered an accessory tall and short seat like so many other bikes. For instance, the Suzuki tall saddle for the DL650 is a little over $200. That's quite reasonable. Actually, my gripe could be extended to a lack of available accessories through Honda. As much as I enjoy dealing with Mr. T for my farkling needs, it would be nice to have more choices from the local dealer.
 
I'm Japanese height, but American weight lol. Bike fits me good. Can't expect a lot of options from Honda on a niche bike. Aftermarket is the answer to our needs. If enough people want something, SOMEONE will make it.
 
the_undecider_imp said:
To each their own, but my only gripe is the seat being too low. I wish Honda offered an accessory tall and short seat like so many other bikes. For instance, the Suzuki tall saddle for the DL650 is a little over $200. That's quite reasonable. Actually, my gripe could be extended to a lack of available accessories through Honda. As much as I enjoy dealing with Mr. T for my farkling needs, it would be nice to have more choices from the local dealer.
Sargent in Jacksonville, FL will modify your existing seat to be as high as you want with any contour you want. I had this done for my wife's Bonneville SE a few years back with very good result.
I like the CB just as is. It's a perfect fit for my 5' 6" stout frame, I can stand on the pegs when need be and the seat is comfortable. Because the fuel mileage is excellent for an 1100cc bike, I find the fuel tank acceptable but a little more capacity would have been nice. Having had four shaft drive bikes in the past (a BMW, Kawasaki, Honda and Moto Guzzi) I much prefer the simplicity of a chain now. Shaft drive is nice but a nightmare if they break or have leaking seals. The CB is plenty powerful for the niche Honda created it for. Years ago it would have been one of the world's fastest stock bikes and even by today's standards it is still plenty quick. As for the top speed limiter, 112 mph is "go to jail" speeding in all 50 states.
 
redbirds_imp said:
the_undecider_imp said:
To each their own, but my only gripe is the seat being too low. I wish Honda offered an accessory tall and short seat like so many other bikes. For instance, the Suzuki tall saddle for the DL650 is a little over $200. That's quite reasonable. Actually, my gripe could be extended to a lack of available accessories through Honda. As much as I enjoy dealing with Mr. T for my farkling needs, it would be nice to have more choices from the local dealer.
Sargent in Jacksonville, FL will modify your existing seat to be as high as you want with any contour you want. I had this done for my wife's Bonneville SE a few years back with very good result.
I like the CB just as is. It's a perfect fit for my 5' 6" stout frame, I can stand on the pegs when need be and the seat is comfortable. Because the fuel mileage is excellent for an 1100cc bike, I find the fuel tank acceptable but a little more capacity would have been nice. Having had four shaft drive bikes in the past (a BMW, Kawasaki, Honda and Moto Guzzi) I much prefer the simplicity of a chain now. Shaft drive is nice but a nightmare if they break or have leaking seals. The CB is plenty powerful for the niche Honda created it for. Years ago it would have been one of the world's fastest stock bikes and even by today's standards it is still plenty quick. As for the top speed limiter, 112 mph is "go to jail" speeding in all 50 states.
I had a Sargent saddle on my 06 V-strom and it was pretty comfy. I looked at the Sargent for the CB, but it's not to my liking aesthetically. I also like having the stock saddle unmodified for when I do eventually sell the bike.

I just placed my order for the K&H tall and should have it in less than a month. I'll hopefully be satisfied with that.
 
the_undecider_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
the_undecider_imp said:
To each their own, but my only gripe is the seat being too low. I wish Honda offered an accessory tall and short seat like so many other bikes. For instance, the Suzuki tall saddle for the DL650 is a little over $200. That's quite reasonable. Actually, my gripe could be extended to a lack of available accessories through Honda. As much as I enjoy dealing with Mr. T for my farkling needs, it would be nice to have more choices from the local dealer.
Sargent in Jacksonville, FL will modify your existing seat to be as high as you want with any contour you want. I had this done for my wife's Bonneville SE a few years back with very good result.
I like the CB just as is. It's a perfect fit for my 5' 6" stout frame, I can stand on the pegs when need be and the seat is comfortable. Because the fuel mileage is excellent for an 1100cc bike, I find the fuel tank acceptable but a little more capacity would have been nice. Having had four shaft drive bikes in the past (a BMW, Kawasaki, Honda and Moto Guzzi) I much prefer the simplicity of a chain now. Shaft drive is nice but a nightmare if they break or have leaking seals. The CB is plenty powerful for the niche Honda created it for. Years ago it would have been one of the world's fastest stock bikes and even by today's standards it is still plenty quick. As for the top speed limiter, 112 mph is "go to jail" speeding in all 50 states.
I had a Sargent saddle on my 06 V-strom and it was pretty comfy. I looked at the Sargent for the CB, but it's not to my liking aesthetically. I also like having the stock saddle unmodified for when I do eventually sell the bike.

I just placed my order for the K&H tall and should have it in less than a month. I'll hopefully be satisfied with that.
I had a Sargent saddle on my 06 V-strom and it was pretty comfy. I looked at the Sargent for the CB, but it's not to my liking aesthetically. I also like having the stock saddle unmodified for when I do eventually sell the bike.

I just placed my order for the K&H tall and should have it in less than a month. I'll hopefully be satisfied with that.
What part number. I saw a couple of different ones on Samurider and I got confused. (mine's a 2013, btw)
 
Back
Top