Redesign ideas

I'd recommend a local seat guy if you have one (or two). Being local they are available for tweaking and customer service will be better. I now consider the seat as is from the factory a cover to keep stuff off the battery. Getting it redone to suit you can be inexpensive or pretty expensive (local guy redid my 650L and Griso seats for $120 each). Price will vary depending upon the work needed to be done.

I have a buddies Sargent seat (built on a Corbin core - original owner went with Corbin, thought it was terrible and had Sargent have a go at it - then sold that seat to my buddy: common thread, did not go with a local seat guy!) that is not too bad, has some good points and was used to make up a seat for me for the Griso.

With a local guy, you have a lot of choices for the seat cover material; not just what a mass producer does. :)
 
Rboe_imp said:
I'll go for 5 and 7. More range would be nice, a buffer for an oops.

7; my Sidi boots and my feet tend to ride the rear brake (I bent it in a bit and that has helped).

Shaft drive: get a Guzzi. There are good reasons for shaft and chain. For this bike chain makes more sense.

Pegs, I'm tempted to put GL1800 pegs. Found out some Norge owners have done that. Wider, more comfort.
The balls of your feet should be on the pegs. In that configuration, it's nearly impossible to be touching the brake pedal. Of course, everyone rides how they like, but that's how pegs are meant to be ridden/used. :-)
 
Rocky_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
^ Agreed. I'm 6'6" 220 lbs and the ergos are spot on for me. No risers, no peg lowering, no Corbin. OE is fine.
Same for me at 5' 9", 180.
Everything is a natural fit for me.
Same for me at 5' 9", 180.
Everything is a natural fit for me.
I have to agree with my fellow Nova Scotian.. Rocky.
the bike fits me fine- the "only" issue I have (and its my issue more than the bikes) is I find the saddle uncomfortable during long cruises (3 hours plus).
But IMO the bike wasn't designed specifically for this so its a non issue.
The CB11 is a great all rounder, good at just about everything it seems...but it will never be the best at everything.
However- If you only own 1 bike - its the best looking, best value for the dollar out there (IMHO).
having said that I may pick up an after market saddle for longer all day rides.
 
AzBob_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
I'll go for 5 and 7. More range would be nice, a buffer for an oops.

7; my Sidi boots and my feet tend to ride the rear brake (I bent it in a bit and that has helped).

Shaft drive: get a Guzzi. There are good reasons for shaft and chain. For this bike chain makes more sense.

Pegs, I'm tempted to put GL1800 pegs. Found out some Norge owners have done that. Wider, more comfort.
The balls of your feet should be on the pegs. In that configuration, it's nearly impossible to be touching the brake pedal. Of course, everyone rides how they like, but that's how pegs are meant to be ridden/used. :-)
The balls of your feet should be on the pegs. In that configuration, it's nearly impossible to be touching the brake pedal. Of course, everyone rides how they like, but that's how pegs are meant to be ridden/used. :-)
You would think! Due to long legs, my feet tend to move a bit forward and toe down. Same issue I have on the Griso - but the Griso's brake lever is tucked in to such a degree that I have to search it out to use.

So in theory I agree, in practice, when I drape my body over the bike - theory goes out the window. :(
 
At 6' tall and fairly long-legged, I can certainly understand just about all of your points (in fact, getting a taller seat made the bike go from "eh" to "perfect" as far as my own ergos go), but as most others have said, this was meant to be a retro bike, not a cruiser or long distance tourer, and being a niche bike on top of that...well, you no doubt have gotten the point by now.
I think they did a fantastic job on this bike - the jewel-like quality and finish is second to none, by the way - but just as with almost everything else in life, you just can't please EVERYONE, and with a motorcycle, there's no such thing as "one size fits all", either. In other words, changing the bike to fit your listed concerns would then make the bike less than perfect for every American that's shorter/lighter/however different than your own personal ideal.
Luckily there are outfits like Samurider and Webbike to help us personalize and fit the bikes to our incredibly varied physiques and tastes. Problem solved.
 
In my experience it was rare to find a bike that fit me perfectly. When I was young it was easier. Most of the comfort problems involved the seat. Later on in life it was the seat and handle bars. As more years went by it was seat, handle bars and foot pegs. The higher Corbin seat made a difference in longer ride comfort on the CB1100. There is a riding postilion you might try, it is called the Master Yoda position. It revolves around a slight lean forward, bending at the hips, elbows bent and forearms parallel with the bike, and slight pressure on the pegs. It really helps with back and shoulder pain. Depending on your height a higher seat, lower pegs and the Master Yoda position might just be the ticket. Good luck.
 
Folks accustomed to riding cruisers, especially those with large bellies or those who own bikes with forward controls, often have a difficult time accepting the idea of sitting slightly leaned forward with their feet below them and their forearms parallel with the bike. They tend to be the same riders who only know their rear brake, not their front, and resort to "layin' her down" as an evasive maneuver. I agree with a previous poster who mentioned that forward controls lead to reduced rider control.
 
This bike to me, is different from any I've owned in the past 30 years. It is taking some "getting use to" but I am getting use to it. That said I have been making some purely functional changes, i .e . sliders, mirrors, and rear rack. I'll be holding off on any comfort changes until I've had time to become ONE with the CB1100 the way it is design. If there is anything that gets in the way of that, I'll change it.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
the_undecider_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
the_undecider_imp said:
To each their own, but my only gripe is the seat being too low. I wish Honda offered an accessory tall and short seat like so many other bikes. For instance, the Suzuki tall saddle for the DL650 is a little over $200. That's quite reasonable. Actually, my gripe could be extended to a lack of available accessories through Honda. As much as I enjoy dealing with Mr. T for my farkling needs, it would be nice to have more choices from the local dealer.
Sargent in Jacksonville, FL will modify your existing seat to be as high as you want with any contour you want. I had this done for my wife's Bonneville SE a few years back with very good result.
I like the CB just as is. It's a perfect fit for my 5' 6" stout frame, I can stand on the pegs when need be and the seat is comfortable. Because the fuel mileage is excellent for an 1100cc bike, I find the fuel tank acceptable but a little more capacity would have been nice. Having had four shaft drive bikes in the past (a BMW, Kawasaki, Honda and Moto Guzzi) I much prefer the simplicity of a chain now. Shaft drive is nice but a nightmare if they break or have leaking seals. The CB is plenty powerful for the niche Honda created it for. Years ago it would have been one of the world's fastest stock bikes and even by today's standards it is still plenty quick. As for the top speed limiter, 112 mph is "go to jail" speeding in all 50 states.
I had a Sargent saddle on my 06 V-strom and it was pretty comfy. I looked at the Sargent for the CB, but it's not to my liking aesthetically. I also like having the stock saddle unmodified for when I do eventually sell the bike.

I just placed my order for the K&H tall and should have it in less than a month. I'll hopefully be satisfied with that.
I had a Sargent saddle on my 06 V-strom and it was pretty comfy. I looked at the Sargent for the CB, but it's not to my liking aesthetically. I also like having the stock saddle unmodified for when I do eventually sell the bike.

I just placed my order for the K&H tall and should have it in less than a month. I'll hopefully be satisfied with that.
What part number. I saw a couple of different ones on Samurider and I got confused. (mine's a 2013, btw)
I had a Sargent saddle on my 06 V-strom and it was pretty comfy. I looked at the Sargent for the CB, but it's not to my liking aesthetically. I also like having the stock saddle unmodified for when I do eventually sell the bike.

I just placed my order for the K&H tall and should have it in less than a month. I'll hopefully be satisfied with that.
What part number. I saw a couple of different ones on Samurider and I got confused. (mine's a 2013, btw)
For a 2013-14 standard CB (not deluxe), these are the options for the K&H "high" seats:

http://www.samurider.com/?p=13103
http://www.samurider.com/?p=13099
http://www.samurider.com/?p=13096
http://www.samurider.com/?p=13091
 
White Dog_imp said:
This may have been answered already, but there are a couple of design things which could be improved on the CB1100.
1. A more friendly seat--wider, softer, tipped up at front.
2. Wider mirror stems
3. Re-position driver pegs forward. (I feel like I'm riding a tricycle trying to fold my legs back.
4. Shaft drive
5. Much larger capacity gas tank
6. Offset handlebar risers (to allow more upright sitting)
7. A diffferent configured rear brake lever

I have had to purchase after-market for all the above except 3, 4 and 5 for my 2014 Standard. I had my brake lever heated and bent, and added other farkles. Not every rider stands 5'5" and weighs 120 lbs, which seems to be the standard for many Asian cycles. I've always owned Honda cycles but have had to alter many of them to provide comfort for my 6'0" big-sized body. Why doesn't Honda design a cycle for the American rider? Does Honda have financial ties to all the accessory manufacturers?
Then it would be called a cruiser. The bike was made like this because this is what a universal motorcycle is. That many changes would make it something its not.
 
Back
Top