Reconnecting with my CB1100

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
The title might seem a bit misleading as I ride my CB1100 most week days year round. I'll skip the nastiest of weather days and sometimes my Hawk GT will get the nod or I'll need to take a vehicle with four wheels for errands and such. But in general, even though my commute is short I tend to spend more time on my CB1100 than do on/in any other available form of transportation. But time spent commuting is just that and the bike barely gets time to warm up before it's parked once again.

I have a lot of things in my life besides motorcycling that take time out of my day: family, job, fishing, working around the house/cabin (this should take more of my time), music (I play guitar), etc., etc.. Since I commute via motorcycle, the bikes tend to sit for the most part during the weekends as I pursue other things, especially since I became hooked on fly fishing (yes, pun intended).

Reading about all of the great experiences others are enjoying on their CBs be they brief or extended, while I'm, er, not — I've almost come to feel like a stranger around here. I'm not complaining as I'm the one that chooses what I do with my time for the most part. I really do dig reading about the pleasure that everyone else is getting from their CBs. I had just sort of forgotten that commuting is one thing, and riding is another. And while commuting does involve riding, it's just not the same as "just going for a ride" Which is exactly what I did this past weekend.

I realized after getting home and re-visiting my posts over in the Seat Time section just how much I had been needing to simply "go for a ride". There are undoubtedly better bikes for high-speed pursuits or carving twisties or racking up hundreds of miles a day or for commuting for that matter (even though the CB1100 does a fantastic job, it does get pretty thirsty in stop 'n go traffic). But when it comes to going for a ride, simply for the sake of "going for a ride" the CB1100 has to rank right up there with any other bike I can think of. It was certainly right in its element on the rambling back roads that I ventured out on this weekend. It is apparent to me that I'll have to make sure to fit some riding (outside of my commute) into my regular routine a bit more often.

I don't exactly ride with the intent to rack up high fuel efficiency ratings (I prefer to keep the RPMs up over 3K out on the road and often don't shift into 5th until I hit 55 mph). I also don't ride all that fast, but I do manage to rip through a few gears nearing the redline on occasion when the opportunity presents itself. Still, when I returned home from the mountains and filled up with gas before calling it a weekend, the CB rewarded me with 50 miles to the gallon and a smile that has lasted long after the ride ended. (That is some astonishingly inexpensive road-based therapy.)

I had almost forgotten (not that anyone around here is really going to let me do that :rofl: ) what a great bike the CB1100 really is. Especially for me — given the way I ride and what I like to do when I have some free time to spend with it.
 
Guth, I feel the same we always have stuff we need to attend to and thats how it is. The thing is Seat Time is just that, no mobile phone calls or distraction just the road ahead and some time for the subconscious to do its thing.

Could it could be that along with RLET your time on the CB1100 is therapeutic.

(Sorry to be getting a little Freudian)

Must be time for another cuppa tea, the Mrs has just boiled the kettle.

Regards
 
I also commute on my CB and often find my weekend connection to riding is this forum. I have taken the same route to and from work for years (23 for this job, the 1st 22 on a 82Kawasaki Spectre). But not long ago part of Seattle's "big dig" construction project forced me to take a much less direct path. I've been winding through quieter and slower parts of town that take longer, but have made riding less of a traffic challenge and more of a sight seeing experience. Well it helps a little at least.
But now my work season is over till August!! I can't quite ride all the time, but a lot more, so seat time reports here I come!
Jon Z
 
to simply "go for a ride".


If I am not mistaken, those are the words used by the chief engineer on the CB 1100 project team, when describing what the CB was designed for

Mission accomplished!
 
I'm not usually into romances but who can resist a good love, fade, rekindle story? Okay, who am I kidding? I'm the guy in the office who made the mistake of saying, "Oh yeah, I've seen The Notebook. That was great!" And meaning it.

Good stuff Guth.
 
I find for touring I prefer the Griso/V twin motivator, but the CB1100 does excel at "going for a ride". Which I plan on doing this weekend with her. :)
 
That is how I look at mine versus the other bikes I have owned. It is great to go out and just take a ride.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I'm not usually into romances but who can resist a good love, fade, rekindle story? Okay, who am I kidding? I'm the guy in the office who made the mistake of saying, "Oh yeah, I've seen The Notebook. That was great!" And meaning it.

Good stuff Guth.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

oh lord that was funny
 
One of the great things about the CB, for me, is it will fill whatever roll I want it to. While it's clearly not the best at anything, it's pretty good at everything. I can cruise around, I can go fast, whatever suits me at the moment and that's the beauty of a standard. There's fast, lighter, more powerful, etc. but if you can only have one then the CB is hard to beat. This weekend I cruised amish country and then spent some time working on my apexes.
 
Could not agree more, this part of Va we have a large Amish population and I spent a lovely afternoon dodging horse poo on the back roads. This was after a run out to a restaurant with some friends on their various bikes. When we returned home folks were all done for the day. But the CB is just so easy to get along with; I couldn't resist and struck out again alone.
Wait, why am I here? I need to go home and get some seat time in!
 
A while ago now, in The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame wrote these immortal words:

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

Guth, your post is a reminder that, for some, Grahame could as well have said:

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply going for a ride.”
 
People who don't ride don't get all that. I get sad when they say that they are not interested at all in motorcycles. I truly don't get it. But then I get happy when I read threads like this. When bad weather, harsh winter days, and having to transport many people at once gets in the way of riding, I find that reading Peter Egans' books "Leanings" and "Leanings 2" do me a lot of good. He too truly gets it. Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
 
Thread starter
Ghis_imp said:
People who don't ride don't get all that. I get sad when they say that they are not interested at all in motorcycles. I truly don't get it. But then I get happy when I read threads like this. When bad weather, harsh winter days, and having to transport many people at once gets in the way of riding, I find that reading Peter Egans' books "Leanings" and "Leanings 2" do me a lot of good. He too truly gets it. Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
Interestingly, Egan's writing about cars is every bit as good as his writing about bikes.
 
Back
Top