Raising CB1100 onto centerstand

Making long story short: harder sole makes raising much easier, at least for me, dispite of getting older every motorcycle season :)
 
Houtman_imp said:
If I can not get my CB 1100 on the center stand anymore than it is time for me to give up my bikes.
Not the end of the road Houtman. I am hearing more and more senior life riders, men and women, downsizing their rides (just like downsizing their homes) and going on cross-country tours on machines like the modern Honda CB500F. They say, as Honda says, ultra reliable, fun to ride, lightweight, really good on gas, affordable, and easy to accessorize for the journeys.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
If I can not get my CB 1100 on the center stand anymore than it is time for me to give up my bikes.
Not the end of the road Houtman. I am hearing more and more senior life riders, men and women, downsizing their rides (just like downsizing their homes) and going on cross-country tours on machines like the modern Honda CB500F. They say, as Honda says, ultra reliable, fun to ride, lightweight, really good on gas, affordable, and easy to accessorize for the journeys.
Not the end of the road Houtman. I am hearing more and more senior life riders, men and women, downsizing their rides (just like downsizing their homes) and going on cross-country tours on machines like the modern Honda CB500F. They say, as Honda says, ultra reliable, fun to ride, lightweight, really good on gas, affordable, and easy to accessorize for the journeys.
Sorry, I actually meant the CB500X.
 
I owned a CB500XA for 3 years before trading it in on my 2017 CB1100 EX. It was a great bike, although I did find it a bit wound up on 4 lane highways. Probably would have been the perfect bike with a 700cc motor.

I probably weight 230 pounds with my motorcycle gear on. I never had problems putting large motorcycles on their center stands before. But I can stand on the CB1100 EX center stand lever while lifting the seat, and it takes its sweet time rolling back into the locked position.

I only tried parking on a downward slope of a parking lot once with my EX. Despite me standing full weight on the center stand lever, it rolled forward. Fortunately I am tall and was able to reach the front brake handle.
 
I'm becoming fairly convinced that placing our bike on the centerstand could act as a decent theft deterrent. Heck, if we owners can't manage to get our bike on and off the centerstand, it probably dissuades the amateur bad guys from trying too lol.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I'm becoming fairly convinced that placing our bike on the centerstand could act as a decent theft deterrent. Heck, if we owners can't manage to get our bike on and off the centerstand, it probably dissuades the amateur bad guys from trying too lol.
You probably have a good point here !
 
Somewhere in the Forum a member remarked about a wheel bar placed between the front wheel and center stand - I think. When in place, it prevents forward motion of the center stand. This is probably practical for secure storage at home (e.g. outside) and the bar is within reach. However, less so on the road since no one wants to carry the extra hardware.

A safety cog integrated into the center stand would work, however, that would create new issues. The cog would have to be large enough to accommodate a meaningfully strong enough pad lock that can't be easily cut. The lock will also likely get beat down with road grime, and/or seize up from water exposure. To prevent cutters from gaining easy access to the lock, it would have to somewhat hard to reach. Being hard to reach will likely mean getting crap on your hands every time you reach under. Sometimes that road grime isn't road brake dust 'n' chain oil. Sometimes it is road kill blood 'n' guts. In short, alotta inconvenience robbing the rider of, what otherwise is, a wondrous CB experience.
 
Back
Top