Raising CB1100 onto centerstand

White Dog_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Somewhere I read a post where someone was having difficulty raising a CB1100 onto the centerstand. I was too, but placing a 1" thick board under the rear tire changes the pivot point and raising the cycle is so much easier. I took an old piece of scrap lumber and cut about a 60° angle to better roll the rear tire onto the board.

I got this idea from the Goldwing forum this morning and tried it on both my Goldwing and the CB1100. I had previously ordered the "EZ-LIFT" for the Goldwing, but since the dimensions of the centerstand are so close, it might fit the CB1100. I'll sure give it a try, as I currently find the Goldwing easier to lift up than the CB1100.

Having both knees replaced in 2011 at the same time, I do not want to do anything that would do damage to my knees, thus the purchase of the EZ-LIFT.
 
Of all the modern bikes I've owned, and currently own, the CB has been the easiest to put up on the centerstand in spite of the weight.
Honda got the pivot point just right and I find it a snap to do without any additional aids, but I can see where this board trick would help if you're having a problem.
And in your case you want to take good care of those knees.
Thanks for posting :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Funny I was down at the shop today checking out the new Africa Twin (Talk about a stratospheric seat height) and I ended up sitting on a new GoldWing. Whipped that baby up on the centerstand easy as can be.
 
The fun raises with a fully packed CB on a longer trip.
These are are days, when I mostly avoid using the center stand. I'm able to use it, but if the circumstances aren't so good it develops into real work. Easy is the wrong word for it.

Wisedrum
 
The ferret_imp said:
Funny I was down at the shop today checking out the new Africa Twin (Talk about a stratospheric seat height) and I ended up sitting on a new GoldWing. Whipped that baby up on the centerstand easy as can be.
funny you mention that

I sat on a new Africa Twin and a 2004 BMW RT1150 today
no go on both knee won't bend far enough
 
Thread starter
The CB1100 should not be that difficult to raise on the center stand. It doesn't weigh that much. I must be doing something wrong. The board under the rear tire helps a lot, but it still takes some effort to get the cycle on the center stand.
 
It's all in the technique. I used to have trouble getting my Nighthawk 750 on the centerstand but eventually I learned that it's not about "muscling" it up, it's about using the leverage of the "tang" on the centerstand and simply pressing down on it, and voila, it's up!
 
You gotta be doing something wrong. After using center stand on my GoldWing, first time I tried cb1100 center stand I almost pulled it off the wheels backwards. It's at least 400lbs lighter


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
One thing about center stands is a degree of patience. You can't just stomp on the lever and up comes the bike. You literally stand on it with your full weight and wait for the lever action to occur.

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
- Archimedes
 
Stichill_imp said:
One thing about center stands is a degree of patience. You can't just stomp on the lever and up comes the bike. You literally stand on it with your full weight and wait for the lever action to occur.

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
- Archimedes
I could literally stand on the tang of my ST 1300 all day and it wouldn't budge. Honestly. Honda provides a big swing out bar to help heft the whale onto the stand. They wouldn't do that if it was simply a matter of standing on the tang. It's not a balance bar, it's a lift bar.

While true it's " mostly" a matter of technique, I can tell you from working in the motorcycle industry for 17 years and putting tens of thousands of motorcycles on their centerstands from 50cc to 1800cc that some just go up easier than others. I would put the CB somewhere in the middle. Not the easiest, not the hardest. To me the Goldwing is easier. I have always had multiple motorcycles in the garage (down to 2 now but as many as 6 at one time) and there have always been one's that are not a problem and ones I regret having to put on their stands. Just like the two I have now. One I don't mind. The other I call my wife to help, even though I know and use the same technique.
 
The easiest ever were older BMW's. If you are tall enough it can be done straddling the bike. Also, BMW placed their stands at the bike's balance point so that the bike would rest on the front or rear tire. In other words, it would rest on the rear tire if the front was removed and front otherwise. Made roadside tire repair a snap.
 
redbirds_imp said:
The easiest ever were older BMW's. If you are tall enough it can be done straddling the bike. Also, BMW placed their stands at the bike's balance point so that the bike would rest on the front or rear tire. In other words, it would rest on the rear tire if the front was removed and front otherwise. Made roadside tire repair a snap.
Always admired that about mid 70's BMWs. That and the little handle on the rear shocks to change preload without a separate tool. Back then it seemed like their engineers might have actually ridden and worked on their own BMW's.
 
FWIW - this applies to most bikes I ever had the pleasure of lifting on the centerstand:

Bike centerstands are designed so that it takes about 80 kg force straight down on the stand lever to lift them up.

It is difficult to achieve that much force on the lever if:

a) the rider's curb mass is less than 80 kg.
b) he is bent over because both of his hands are on the handlebars, so a part of his weight is supported by either arm, instead of only the leg that presses the lever.
c) he has soft-sole footwear.
d) the bike and/or the rider are not on firm, flat surface.
 
The ferret_imp said:
hmm my curb mass is 83 kg lol
I wish...
Did you count in everything? Boots, jacket, cell-phone, keychain, dentures...? Every little bit helps with that lever!
 
With gear my body mass is over 100 kilograms.

The 2017 CB1100 EX is the only motorcycle I ever had trouble rolling on the center stand. I have owned a dozen motorcycles including a Goldwing Aspencade and a Yamaha XS 1100 with Vetter fairing, saddlebags and trunk. Even when fully loaded these two touring machines were easier than this "naked" bike. Penny and I could pack enough stuff on the Goldwing with its trunk and saddlebag accessory racks to fill a motel room.
 
CB is easy to get up with the right technique. Just push straight down and a little to the left with your foot and when you're pushing hardest with your foot lift up and to the right a little with your hand underneath the passenger seat. Once you get the feel of that it glides right up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top