Raising CB1100 onto centerstand

A little tougher getting it on the center stand than my '77 cb750f because of weight. More of a challenge getting it off. Loves to slide on a garage floor. Installing the stock luggage rack makes it much easier to lift onto the center stand.
 
I grab the cb by the handle bars and rear rack, lift it straight in the air and then flip the centre stand over with my right foot and put it down, but only when I'm angry...and you don't want to see me angry.
I read on the ctx forum about how some people buy the wrong centre stand, because no centrestand existed for the ctx700. People would modify an nc700s stand to work, and some would buy the nc700x stand which doesn't work. The local dealer had trouble installing my centre stand and had to take it off to order the part I told them they would need when I ordered the thing. Anyways I get it home, not 100% confident in their abilities and tried to get it on the centre stand, by stepping on it and pulling with both hands from the handle bars! Then I watched a YouTube video after I nearly gave myself a hernia and I found both bikes to be a snap to get on the centrestand.
 
I push straight down with my foot while pulling straight up. Sort of like pulling it apart. Stiff soles and start with it level. Helps to weigh 250.... ;)

Ben
 
I agree with the stiff sole. I've put my deluxe up with worn out tennis shoes and beefy Danner boots. Night and day. Boots for the win!
 
Graymark_imp said:
A little tougher getting it on the center stand than my '77 cb750f because of weight. More of a challenge getting it off. Loves to slide on a garage floor. Installing the stock luggage rack makes it much easier to lift onto the center stand.
I solved the slick garage floor problem with a small piece of carpet positioned for the center stand, then you can push right of. Have to try the wood under the rear wheel trick to ease getting it on the stand.
 
I don't think a wedge under the rear wheel would make mine easier. Backing it out of the garage onto a sloped driveway does though. Maybe I should put the wedge down and drive the front wheel up on it. Then lift the bike off the side stand and onto the center stand.

I do have a 2'x4' sheet of 1/8 inch hardboard under my CB1100 EX. I used it to keep the garage floor clean when oiling the chain on my CB500XA. The hardboard does not move when I put the EX on the center stand.

Learned a trick from Lemmy of Revzilla watching his chain oiling video. I used to put a piece of cardboard behind the chain to catch any misplaced oil when spraying my CB500XA chain. But using his technique of holding the spray can tube against the rear sprocket directs the oil right down onto the chain rollers. Any excess that drops off the chain, can be wiped off the hardboard with a couple of shop towels.
 
I find that much of the center-stand issue on these bikes is psychological. At ~210lbs, I was having trouble with it at first. Part of the problem was overcoming the fear that I would drop the bike. Once I fully committed to it, put my weight on the stand and allowed the laws of physics to take over, it was a piece of cake.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
I find that much of the center-stand issue on these bikes is psychological. At ~210lbs, I was having trouble with it at first. Part of the problem was overcoming the fear that I would drop the bike. Once I fully committed to it, put my weight on the stand and allowed the laws of physics to take over, it was a piece of cake.
Yep. Push down hard with your foot while pulling up on the back of the bike. Cake.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
I find that much of the center-stand issue on these bikes is psychological. At ~210lbs, I was having trouble with it at first. Part of the problem was overcoming the fear that I would drop the bike. Once I fully committed to it, put my weight on the stand and allowed the laws of physics to take over, it was a piece of cake.

Totally agree. It was difficult at first because I didn't want to drop her and the hesitation was robbing me of the momentum I needed. Now I pop her onto the center stand every time I'm in my own garage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Press down on the stand lightly until contact with the ground-and then the most important part- make sure both sides touch so the bike has 3 points of contact.

If that is done- then the bike will be stable and pop right up.

If you are trying to put it up while it is leaning a bit towards you- good luck.
 
I found raising my new CB11RS was a tad disconcerting as my rear yard is on a slope (front to back and side to side) and I tend to park so the bike rear is pointed down the slope which unfortunately also means its angle is also away from the side the stand tang is on. However once its settled on the stand feet prior to the quick lift and tug it goes up pretty quick. A lot easier than some of the heavy metal I've had on centrestands out there. I think the initial lift/stand/tug feels like a lot of effort is needed as there appears to be little mechanical leverage with the stand (as its very short) but once going the short stand also means the movement needed is pretty small. Short and sharp ...
 
Macduff_imp said:
I found raising my new CB11RS was a tad disconcerting as my rear yard is on a slope (front to back and side to side) and I tend to park so the bike rear is pointed down the slope which unfortunately also means its angle is also away from the side the stand tang is on. However once its settled on the stand feet prior to the quick lift and tug it goes up pretty quick. A lot easier than some of the heavy metal I've had on centrestands out there. I think the initial lift/stand/tug feels like a lot of effort is needed as there appears to be little mechanical leverage with the stand (as its very short) but once going the short stand also means the movement needed is pretty small. Short and sharp ...
That would make me very nervous indeed!
 
On my 2013, plant right foot on stand, turn bars fully left, grab front and back, push down with foot, pull up with hands. Piece of cake.
 
9 out of 10 times I center stand while on the bike. Not just the CB, but all previous rides I owned. This came out of necessity because I often parked in cramped spaces where there was no room to stand next to the bike and pull back. Been doing this all my life. Again, it was useful to squeeze that bike into very tight parking quarters. I do not recommend it to anyone.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
9 out of 10 times I center stand while on the bike. Not just the CB, but all previous rides I owned. This came out of necessity because I often parked in cramped spaces where there was no room to stand next to the bike and pull back. Been doing this all my life. Again, it was useful to squeeze that bike into very tight parking quarters. I do not recommend it to anyone.
How do you even do that?
 
:rofl: couldn't do it with my stubby legs.
 
Heh, I know, the image is probably weird. I simply stand up, foot on the center stand dog leg, and then I kind of torque the bike in a backward sweep with a hand under the passenger seat ... and then "klunk".

I don't recommend it. I have been doing it so long that I probably have a muscle where there shouldn't be one. That said, I doubt I could do anything more than a 1100 class machine. I will also say, it gets harder with age. :-/

But, can still do it and it comes handy when in a pinch.
 
Difficulty putting a bike on the centerstand is mainly caused by how far the rear tire will sit off the ground. The greater the distance, the harder it is. So shorter shocks and lower profile tires make it harder. All you need is a little bit of clearance, not the inch or more you probably have now.

Rolling the front wheel onto a piece of plywood or a heavy rubber mat makes it a breeze. I prefer it to putting it under the rear wheel, since it's usually more out of the way, and can't interfere with the stand itself.
 
Back
Top