Rain Gear?

eakngcobra_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'm planning a trip this summer, and need to be prepared for weather. Can you guys recommend rain gear for me to purchase?
 
I like Frogg Toggs. Lightweight and easy to store, I do know that they make some motorcycle specific, I just have the standard stuff bought at a sporting good store.
 
Frogg Toggs seems to be the standard. I got a set last year but have been fortunate enough to not use 'em yet.
 
Frogg Toggs here too, although I have no clue how to get them back in the bag they came in.
 
It depends on what kind of rain riding you are going to do. If your like me, rain be darned just keep on trucking, get something really good. I currently wear Tourmaster Sentinel gear. I paid around $200 for the pants and jacket at the local BMW dealer. Its great gear that keeps me relatively dry.

Nothing will keep you perfectly dry in a driving rain though. Seams do leak no matter how well they are made. Rain will find it's way up that wrist or ankle cuff or waist eventually in heavy rain no matter how tight you cinch them up. I have never had a one piece suit as I have a hard enough time getting into my gear at the side of the road in the dark. I can imagine what its like trying to pull on a one piece over my boots and jacket.

I wore a very inexpensive Nelson Riggs outfit for ten years that for $40 was unbelievably good. When they finally wore out I bought another Nelson Riggs set that I ended up tossing in the trash after two months because they were so bad.

I ride in the rain a lot. Waterproof boots, pants that have stirrups to keep the water out of the tops of the boots and warm gloves are a must.
 
Good point about the one piece and 2 piece. Another point is todays Cordura ( textile) clothes do a pretty good job of keep the occasional light shower out ( as long as it's not a mesh jacket) and if you are wearing a textile jacket and a pair of jeans like I was a short time ago and it starts raining, you can often get by just by throwing on the rain suit pants over top of the jeans, instead of the whole outfit. that's not possible with a one piece rain suit.
 
I have mesh/cordura jacket and pants with liners...having the two piece rain gear allows me to toss it on as a wind layer if it gets chilly which is much easier than putting the liners back in place.
 
In my younger days living in the Seattle area, I rode a '81 CB650 w/ a big plexiglass windshield, year round, no other transportation other than a car and the Contessa drove that. Since it rained buckets on a daily basis and sometimes snowed, I bought a JC Penny snowmobile suit. That suit, though a pita to put on, was a life saver. Add to that an old Bell Star bucket and I never missed a day riding.
 
gossman_imp said:
In my younger days living in the Seattle area, I rode a '81 CB650 w/ a big plexiglass windshield, year round, no other transportation other than a car and the Contessa drove that. Since it rained buckets on a daily basis and sometimes snowed, I bought a JC Penny snowmobile suit. That suit, though a pita to put on, was a life saver. Add to that an old Bell Star bucket and I never missed a day riding.
Now that is old school heavy duty. :biker:
 
Road Gear riding gear. Pants and jacket are water proof. Good stuff and yards better than the old gold standard (for me) Dri Rider gear (which never seemed to be all that dry).
 
Pay attention to the sort of ride you will be on and how the turbulence affects your rain gear. A bloke I know melted his Frogg Toggs on the first ride to the exhaust system.

It was sad to look at.
 
I use Scott, a 2 piece yellow rain gear and rain boot covers + Klim rain gloves. Rode during he** water fall = dry & good enough for me.
 
If you have the budget, the top end goretex pro stuff really will work as an all in one. I have a Spidi Globetracker suit for touring on my big ADV bike, and that thing just ignores rain, but still has tremendous venting.

Otherwise I always recommend buying goretex paclite hiking gear as an oversuit. It’s made to be super lightweight and packable for hikers, pants are made to slip on over boots, and you can get it with pit-zips and other venting options to avoid some of that “wearing a plastic bag” feeling in warmer climes. I picked up a pair of marmot packlite pants from REI on sale for ~$100. It shrugged off a massive VA summer downpour, and fits nicely over riding jeans without flapping around. Plus you can zip the side entry double zipper down some and get pretty good airflow.
 
I got a FLY brand rain suit from Revzilla a couple of years ago. They have saved me a soaking several times and stood up for 10 hours of rain returning from the Kentucky rally. Comes in three or four color combos (I got flo. orange) and is lined with a polyester layer that keeps heat in nicely.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-rain-suit
I didn't see anyone mention gloves... they are pretty critical for rain riding. I got these and am very pleased.
Motorcycle Rain Gear | Rain Suits, Pants & Jackets - RevZilla
My $.02 :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top