R9T Island Ride

Congrats, that's a fine looking bike! I hope you're having fun with it.
I saw one at Alice's Restaurant this morning, had to do a little double take to see if it was what I thought it was. I was stoked to see one out in the wild!
 
Oh cool, it's beginning to make sense now.

I love mountains lol.....
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
That's a lot of power for that island :-)
how often do you get to the main land to ride?
Hardly ever, it's tough for me to get away for more then a day.
CB4ME_imp said:
Ack - any beaches on the island NOT off limits to motorcyles? Deep loose sand or packed dense sand?
Outlaw beach riding only for bikes.
By the book you need a $100 beach sticker from the Town Hall. You have to show your car registration.
All beaches are public, but no motorcycles, atv's, H1 Hummers or dogs allowed.
Police Hummer and ATV's excluded.
Most of the sand is real soft. You need at least AWD to get round and lower tire pressures are a must.
It's really more work then fun on a bike, unless you get close to the wave line. That's borrowed bike stuff, I'd come back with a rotted frame or something. I stick to the middle dirt roads and keep away from the edges. That picture is the closest to the beach I want to go.
All dirt roads out here have some sections on soft deep sand in them. The sand just stops you to 0 from 30. If I'm still upright I have to tractor my way out. That's when I love the knobbies and the low seat height. My HP2 was a alot better over here but it's seat was 37.5". I dropped that thing all the time. Very embarressing :D
 
Now it's starting to look like a proper bike!
 
Great pictures, Ack. The BMW has to be a better choice for that environment.
 
"Tractor'd right out" :rofl: awesome!
 
I'd bet $109 that you are one of maybe 2-3 Are9ty owners in the entire world who will ever, ever take their brand new Bimmer out for a scramble. The other 99% probably cringe every time they have to ride thru a puddle.

I'm sure you're on a 90 forum, has anyone else converted theirs to a dual-sport?
 
Very nice photos and explanation of why you needed a "scrambler"! Nice job with the bike. I do think you need to look into some longer front fender though. I don't think a fender extender would be long enough.

This thread also shows what a great bunch of people are on this forum. I posted like two sentences about my CB on the BMWMOA forum, where I've been active for like a dozen years and some guy posted a nasty comment about me still being there while owning a Honda! Nice, huh?
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
I'd bet $109 that you are one of maybe 2-3 Are9ty owners in the entire world who will ever, ever take their brand new Bimmer out for a scramble. The other 99% probably cringe every time they have to ride thru a puddle.

I'm sure you're on a 90 forum, has anyone else converted theirs to a dual-sport?
You'd win that bet.
Just so you know, it's Beemer for bikes and Bimmer for the cars. :D
No new forums for me, just posting here and ADV on their R9T thread. Lurking everywhere else.
I've only seen a couple with knobby tires on-line with no dirt in sight. It really needs more suspension travel and ground clearance to be considered a dual sport but I just have to be a little careful. If I was over 5' 7" and stronger, I would have went with a GS. But you still rarely see those off road either.
I did see someone in a field with with one, no knobbies though.
That fender, I thought was going to be trouble. I figured a rock stuck in the tire would wreck it, but not so far. The front engine cover is made of a bumper cover like plastic and can really take a hit.
Besides all the sand, that little wash I went up was about the trickiest thing out here. I'm getting bolder and faster through the sand which makes it alot more fun............
 
Thread starter
I posted these same pictures in the R9T section on the ADV forum 3 days ago, still no response?

I don't think they like my dirt antics over there.
It is an adventure forum :huh:
Oh well.....

Wow, look at me 600 posts
 
That's interesting Ack. I meet quite a few Beemers in Aus that get some really serious work in all sorts of terrains.
 
Back
Top