Put bike on centerstand

Flynrider_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Inline4_imp said:
Our CB1100 IS very easy to put on the centerstand. If you want to practice on something, find an old Kawasaki C10 Concours! YIKES!
I agree. I can't imagine anyone having problems doing this.

Hold by the bars. Get to desired spot.

Left hand - left bar.

Right hand, under rear grab rail, knuckles down.

Right foot, on stand lever (this is important!!!)

Left foot, about 10 inches from right foot, to it's left

NOW TAKE NOTE: push the stand lever with the right foot. THIS ALONE WILL ALMOST GET THE BIKE ON THE STAND.

Now whilst it is moving rearward and IN ONE SMOOTH MOTION TUG THE REAR RAIL UPWARDS AND EASE THE BIKE BACKWARDS, STILL APPLYING FOOT PRESSURE.

Sorry for the capitals.

If that doesn't work, put some weight on, buy a lighter bike, join a gym or as Red Mist says, use the side stand. Phew.
You missed an important step. After pushing the stand down and before starting to lift, push the bike level until you feel both of the centerstand feet on the ground. If you don't do that, it'll take a huge effort to horse the bike up onto the stand.
You missed an important step. After pushing the stand down and before starting to lift, push the bike level until you feel both of the centerstand feet on the ground. If you don't do that, it'll take a huge effort to horse the bike up onto the stand.

Good point, I assumed people buying an 1100cc heavyweight motorbike would have had experience of how centre stands worked on lighter bikes.
 
I think that having a center stand is very handy on bikes.
Any time I need a tire changed I always take the wheel out myself,take it to a bike shop, wait for the new tire to be put on and go home with the wheel !
Yes I have also Pitbull stands but the center stand is even easier.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Stuff the centre stand. Just drop it in the drive way. And who you gonna call?

Rboe:excited:
:worship:

Too bad we don't have a falling down on the floor laughing gremlin. :D
 
I was thinking of putting a hoist in the garage for putting our bikes in the center stand but they are so easy I saved that hoist money for farkles...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Inline4_imp said:
Our CB1100 IS very easy to put on the centerstand. If you want to practice on something, find an old Kawasaki C10 Concours! YIKES!
I agree. I can't imagine anyone having problems doing this.

Hold by the bars. Get to desired spot.

Left hand - left bar.

Right hand, under rear grab rail, knuckles down.

Right foot, on stand lever (this is important!!!)

Left foot, about 10 inches from right foot, to it's left

NOW TAKE NOTE: push the stand lever with the right foot. THIS ALONE WILL ALMOST GET THE BIKE ON THE STAND.

Now whilst it is moving rearward and IN ONE SMOOTH MOTION TUG THE REAR RAIL UPWARDS AND EASE THE BIKE BACKWARDS, STILL APPLYING FOOT PRESSURE.

Sorry for the capitals.

If that doesn't work, put some weight on, buy a lighter bike, join a gym or as Red Mist says, use the side stand. Phew.
You missed an important step. After pushing the stand down and before starting to lift, push the bike level until you feel both of the centerstand feet on the ground. If you don't do that, it'll take a huge effort to horse the bike up onto the stand.
You missed an important step. After pushing the stand down and before starting to lift, push the bike level until you feel both of the centerstand feet on the ground. If you don't do that, it'll take a huge effort to horse the bike up onto the stand.

Good point, I assumed people buying an 1100cc heavyweight motorbike would have had experience of how centre stands worked on lighter bikes.
Lotta guys buying these for a first bike. Not such a good plan.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol this thread started because one forum member was having issues putting his bike on the centerstand and had to have a neighbor come over and help him get it up. Funny thing is, I don't think he ever told us if he got it figured out. Hope so. He sure got plenty of advice in this thread lol.
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
 
Frankie_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lol this thread started because one forum member was having issues putting his bike on the centerstand and had to have a neighbor come over and help him get it up. Funny thing is, I don't think he ever told us if he got it figured out. Hope so. He sure got plenty of advice in this thread lol.
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Climb on. Start her up and engage first gear. Lean back so that rear wheel is grounded. Give it some beans and release the clutch. It will probably come off the stand...
 
Richard_imp said:
Frankie_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lol this thread started because one forum member was having issues putting his bike on the centerstand and had to have a neighbor come over and help him get it up. Funny thing is, I don't think he ever told us if he got it figured out. Hope so. He sure got plenty of advice in this thread lol.
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Climb on. Start her up and engage first gear. Lean back so that rear wheel is grounded. Give it some beans and release the clutch. It will probably come off the stand...
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Climb on. Start her up and engage first gear. Lean back so that rear wheel is grounded. Give it some beans and release the clutch. It will probably come off the stand...
 
That's how I do it, Richard. Works OK mostly. :banana:
 
Thread starter
Richard_imp said:
Frankie_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lol this thread started because one forum member was having issues putting his bike on the centerstand and had to have a neighbor come over and help him get it up. Funny thing is, I don't think he ever told us if he got it figured out. Hope so. He sure got plenty of advice in this thread lol.
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Climb on. Start her up and engage first gear. Lean back so that rear wheel is grounded. Give it some beans and release the clutch. It will probably come off the stand...
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Climb on. Start her up and engage first gear. Lean back so that rear wheel is grounded. Give it some beans and release the clutch. It will probably come off the stand...
:dodgy: don't do that Frankie.

Depending on how tall you are you can straddle the bike and push it forward. Be ready to use the front brake to stop the momentum once it's down.

If you are a munchkin like me, I stand to the left side of the bike, put the side stand down, push with both hands on the handlebars until it comes off the centerstand, stop it with the front brake and then sit it n the side stand.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Richard_imp said:
Frankie_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lol this thread started because one forum member was having issues putting his bike on the centerstand and had to have a neighbor come over and help him get it up. Funny thing is, I don't think he ever told us if he got it figured out. Hope so. He sure got plenty of advice in this thread lol.
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Climb on. Start her up and engage first gear. Lean back so that rear wheel is grounded. Give it some beans and release the clutch. It will probably come off the stand...
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Climb on. Start her up and engage first gear. Lean back so that rear wheel is grounded. Give it some beans and release the clutch. It will probably come off the stand...
:dodgy: don't do that Frankie.

Depending on how tall you are you can straddle the bike and push it forward. Be ready to use the front brake to stop the momentum once it's down.

If you are a munchkin like me, I stand to the left side of the bike, put the side stand down, push with both hands on the handlebars until it comes off the centerstand, stop it with the front brake and then sit it n the side stand.
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Climb on. Start her up and engage first gear. Lean back so that rear wheel is grounded. Give it some beans and release the clutch. It will probably come off the stand...
:dodgy: don't do that Frankie.

Depending on how tall you are you can straddle the bike and push it forward. Be ready to use the front brake to stop the momentum once it's down.

If you are a munchkin like me, I stand to the left side of the bike, put the side stand down, push with both hands on the handlebars until it comes off the centerstand, stop it with the front brake and then sit it n the side stand.
That sounds a trifle more sensible than launch mode :-)
 
Frankie_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Richard_imp said:
Frankie_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lol this thread started because one forum member was having issues putting his bike on the centerstand and had to have a neighbor come over and help him get it up. Funny thing is, I don't think he ever told us if he got it figured out. Hope so. He sure got plenty of advice in this thread lol.
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Climb on. Start her up and engage first gear. Lean back so that rear wheel is grounded. Give it some beans and release the clutch. It will probably come off the stand...
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Climb on. Start her up and engage first gear. Lean back so that rear wheel is grounded. Give it some beans and release the clutch. It will probably come off the stand...
:dodgy: don't do that Frankie.

Depending on how tall you are you can straddle the bike and push it forward. Be ready to use the front brake to stop the momentum once it's down.

If you are a munchkin like me, I stand to the left side of the bike, put the side stand down, push with both hands on the handlebars until it comes off the centerstand, stop it with the front brake and then sit it n the side stand.
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Climb on. Start her up and engage first gear. Lean back so that rear wheel is grounded. Give it some beans and release the clutch. It will probably come off the stand...
:dodgy: don't do that Frankie.

Depending on how tall you are you can straddle the bike and push it forward. Be ready to use the front brake to stop the momentum once it's down.

If you are a munchkin like me, I stand to the left side of the bike, put the side stand down, push with both hands on the handlebars until it comes off the centerstand, stop it with the front brake and then sit it n the side stand.
That sounds a trifle more sensible than launch mode :-)
That sounds a trifle more sensible than launch mode :-)

Well I'm glad you all realised I was just kiddin'... :cool:

The Ferret method is definitely best-practice.
 
Richard_imp said:
Frankie_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Richard_imp said:
Frankie_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lol this thread started because one forum member was having issues putting his bike on the centerstand and had to have a neighbor come over and help him get it up. Funny thing is, I don't think he ever told us if he got it figured out. Hope so. He sure got plenty of advice in this thread lol.
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Climb on. Start her up and engage first gear. Lean back so that rear wheel is grounded. Give it some beans and release the clutch. It will probably come off the stand...
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Climb on. Start her up and engage first gear. Lean back so that rear wheel is grounded. Give it some beans and release the clutch. It will probably come off the stand...
:dodgy: don't do that Frankie.

Depending on how tall you are you can straddle the bike and push it forward. Be ready to use the front brake to stop the momentum once it's down.

If you are a munchkin like me, I stand to the left side of the bike, put the side stand down, push with both hands on the handlebars until it comes off the centerstand, stop it with the front brake and then sit it n the side stand.
Lol! I came on looking for the exact same question, as I’ve just test ridden one and tried ( and succeeded ) to put it on the centre stand. Not as easy as some but I managed. I thought I’d check for technique as there’s no obvious grab handle which would have helped.
Now what I really want to know is how do you get it off the centre stand as I didn’t try that!
Climb on. Start her up and engage first gear. Lean back so that rear wheel is grounded. Give it some beans and release the clutch. It will probably come off the stand...
:dodgy: don't do that Frankie.

Depending on how tall you are you can straddle the bike and push it forward. Be ready to use the front brake to stop the momentum once it's down.

If you are a munchkin like me, I stand to the left side of the bike, put the side stand down, push with both hands on the handlebars until it comes off the centerstand, stop it with the front brake and then sit it n the side stand.
That sounds a trifle more sensible than launch mode :-)
That sounds a trifle more sensible than launch mode :-)

Well I'm glad you all realised I was just kiddin'... :cool:

The Ferret method is definitely best-practice.
That sounds a trifle more sensible than launch mode :-)

Well I'm glad you all realised I was just kiddin'... :cool:

The Ferret method is definitely best-practice.
:thanks: Great forum, pick my bike up next week !
 
I always had trouble getting my bike up on the center stand until I went to my first CB1100 Rally. At the rally I learned that if I just struggle with it for a minute seven guys will step up and show me how it's done. Works every time :thanks:
 
This is a long thread with a lot advice, but here's my ten cents; leverage is your friend. Archimedes was right. My BMW R1100 is easier to put up than my Honda CB1100, because it has a built-in folding handle to pull up with. On the Honda, there is no handle, nor any handy place to grab (the soft bags cover up part of the side of the bike), but I found that a few feet of quarter-inch rope tied in a loop and placed around the lower frame arm gives a good handle. Get the bike up onto both feet, left hand on the bar, right hand on the pull point, place your right foot on the push point, and step up onto it, pulling slightly on the handhold. Up she goes.
 
:beerchug::beerchug:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
I always had trouble getting my bike up on the center stand until I went to my first CB1100 Rally. At the rally I learned that if I just struggle with it for a minute seven guys will step up and show me how it's done. Works every time :thanks:
:beerchug:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
This is a long thread with a lot advice, but here's my ten cents; leverage is your friend. Archimedes was right. My BMW R1100 is easier to put up than my Honda CB1100, because it has a built-in folding handle to pull up with. On the Honda, there is no handle, nor any handy place to grab (the soft bags cover up part of the side of the bike), but I found that a few feet of quarter-inch rope tied in a loop and placed around the lower frame arm gives a good handle. Get the bike up onto both feet, left hand on the bar, right hand on the pull point, place your right foot on the push point, and step up onto it, pulling slightly on the handhold. Up she goes.
Another good tip, thanks!
 
The bike has a grab rail of a sort at the back. It’s perfect for using to lift the bike onto the centre stand. Get both plates of the stand on the ground, stand on the bar and lift and it will pop up just fine.

I find The Ferret’s method of getting the bike off the stand slightly unnerving. If you’re tall enough, straddling and pushing feels more secure. I just use the front brake as recommend to stop it hitting the wall.
 
Back
Top