Put bike on centerstand

The ferret_imp said:
Lol this thread started because one forum member was having issues putting his bike on the centerstand and had to have a neighbor come over and help him get it up. Funny thing is, I don't think he ever told us if he got it figured out. Hope so. He sure got plenty of advice in this thread lol.
Hi
I still need my neighbors help. he came over yesterday because I want to lube or grease the chain , He tried to teach I did it in front of him but wen he left and I tried failed again I don't know why its tough I am 160 and maybe I try too hard maybe one of these days I will master it Thanks
you have a good memory ferret
 
Thread starter
Hmmm Jay I count 9 members in Fla on our registry. Surely you are close to someone that can come over and work with you on it, or you can go for a ride and meet someone. Spaceman, Terrydlargo, gheil, Sanpete or any other Fla member want to PM Jay and try and arrange a get together and help him with his center stand issues?
 
Jay, where are you in Florida? I ride down that way often. I'm 5' 6" and about 175lbs with bad shoulders and knees. I know I can teach you to accomplish this. It's not strength but technique that gets it done. You can do this.
 
Wow! I just got to the end of this thread. Proper method is well described. I have one comment and one story to add. First, the comment. Ferret mentioned using a 2X4 as an aid for lifting bikes onto their center stand. This is an excellent suggestion for those with back issues and for everyone's use with the difficult bikes. I made mine by cutting one end of an 18 inch 2X4 at a 45 degree bevel. I glued a piece of non slip rubber drawer liner to the bottom to prevent slipping on concrete. One places this "tool" a foot or so behind the rear wheel then role the bike back so that the wheel roles up onto the 2X4. Now, deploy the center stand with the bike already most of the way up. Makes the job so much easier. I use this tool with my FJR and I made examples for my friends with back issues.

And for the story....a friend told me this episode a while back. He rides a shaft drive and his wife rides a chain drive. She takes meticulous care of her chain to the extent that she is the only person that I know who got 50K+ miles out of a chain. Their normal routine when returning from a ride is to place her bike on the center stand and tend to the chain. She can probably get her bike on and off the center stand by herself but being a petite thing weighing about a hundred lbs. her husband, being a big guy, does this part of the chore for her. Fast forward a few days and they come out into the garage readying themselves for the day's ride. He pushes her bike off the center stand and immediately experiences what he described as the the most pain he has ever felt in his life. By now you have guessed it; the side stand landed on the top of his foot. It pains me to think of it! If there's a moral to this story I'll let you write it.
 
jay4252_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lol this thread started because one forum member was having issues putting his bike on the centerstand and had to have a neighbor come over and help him get it up. Funny thing is, I don't think he ever told us if he got it figured out. Hope so. He sure got plenty of advice in this thread lol.
Hi
I still need my neighbors help. he came over yesterday because I want to lube or grease the chain , He tried to teach I did it in front of him but wen he left and I tried failed again I don't know why its tough I am 160 and maybe I try too hard maybe one of these days I will master it Thanks
you have a good memory ferret
Hi
I still need my neighbors help. he came over yesterday because I want to lube or grease the chain , He tried to teach I did it in front of him but wen he left and I tried failed again I don't know why its tough I am 160 and maybe I try too hard maybe one of these days I will master it Thanks
you have a good memory ferret
Where in Fl. do you live, I'd be glad to come over and help ya.
 
I am really surprised at the number of folks who say they have issues getting the CB, or I guess any bike, on the center stand.

Even my 20 y/o, 165 lb, weight lifting son has trouble using the stand on his CB360! He is perpetually annoyed that his over weight, 61 y/o Dad pops it up there instantly.
I was disappointed when I tried to set the center stand while I was still astride the CB as I was able to do with the Yamaha XS11 back then or any number of other bikes I've owned.
But the CB goes right up with only a slight tug on the handlebars and foot pressure on the stands.
I don't think I am using any tricks to do it.
 
Thank you for offering to help,
I am in Orlando, My son is coming this weekend and will try to help
usually I will try 4 or 5 times before success , I will practice with my son this week hope that helps
I will post next week how it went
Thank you once again for offering to help
 
jay4252_imp said:
Thank you for offering to help,
I am in Orlando, My son is coming this weekend and will try to help
usually I will try 4 or 5 times before success , I will practice with my son this week hope that helps
I will post next week how it went
Thank you once again for offering to help
I live on the East side or Orlando, I'm retired, so anytime, you would want to come over, would be good. Greg Davis 407-617-3417 I presently have two CB1100's
 
Another trick is to put a piece of pipe over the "leg" and extend the lever arm if all else fails. I like the 2X4 trick as well.

The secret is using your weight on the stand. If you are not standing "up on" the lever you aren't doing it correctly.
 
jay4252_imp said:
Thank you for offering to help,
I am in Orlando, My son is coming this weekend and will try to help
usually I will try 4 or 5 times before success , I will practice with my son this week hope that helps
I will post next week how it went
Thank you once again for offering to help
I live on the East side or Orlando, I'm retired, so anytime, you would want to come over, would be good. Greg Davis 407-617-3417 I presently have two CB1100's I'm 66 years old, 155 lbs, no problem putting bike on center stand. it's not strength, it's about technique
 
Red Mist_imp said:
Rolls_imp said:
Um, did you just say you have two CB1100's, Greg? That's awesome!
What's the big deal? Most of us have two testicles, too!:D
What's the big deal? Most of us have two testicles, too!:D
Two of everything is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
 
Many moons ago we discussed picking up a CB that had decided to take a nap. I was waiting for my collar bone to heal; which it hasn't it so I got a wee bit impatient and decided lay the bike down in the back yard and pick her back up again. This shot is the first attempt (and the only). With the case savers this is pretty darn easy. You can see where I took a break to hold the bike with my knee once the bike was up on the case savers then proceeded to pop her up with my arms.

This is not the "proper" technique but it worked. Bad back, broken collar bone and missing some hair on top. Easy peasy.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=786900288006388&l=6061455077668433153
Facebook says you don't have to be a member to view so I hope that is true. :D
 
My back is killing me watching you do that.... I think the proper way to pick that, or any, bike up is to face away from the bike, bend down, put your butt in the seat, grab the bars with one hand, the frame with another, and use your legs to stand up and thereby lift it up. I've seen women lift Electra Glides that way... looks pretty easy.
 
My back is not in that great of shape but was not stressed all that much during this lift. I also used my legs more than is evident in the video. Mostly legs and arms in the lift.

The case savers are a huge help as the bike will pretty hold resting on the wheels and the case savers. It took a bit of effort to get the bike all the way down.
 
Thread starter
Ron, for some reason watching that made me giggle. I mean why, I mean what if.... nevermind! Lol
 
:excited:

Well I suppose I should have done it one handed. I really had thought Sue had taped me but somehow this old fart ended up in the final product. Will have to work on that in the future.
 
Back
Top