Moving a bike in tight quarters - Centerstand dolly

I didn’t get it done as I had some other things to do. But I did start. Got the shelf rail and cut it to size then started drilling the holes. Man, what a J.O.B. That is some good metal and I’m using a hand drill. Got one and a half holes done. So 2 and a half more to go!
 
Can you drill half a hole? :P
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Can you drill half a hole? :P
Good one Cormanus. lol
Good one Cormanus. lol
You can get half holes from Amazon in inch and metric sizes, but they will take a while to get because they are shipped from China, and you have to buy them in bags of 100. Only problem is, you have to drill a hole all the way through, then insert these half-hole plugs that block half the whole hole rather than the whole half hole. :huh:
 
So, what is the best cutting oil to use? Heh Heh, now it’s an OIL thread :D
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
So, what is the best cutting oil to use? Heh Heh, now it’s an OIL thread :D
MiLord, the best OIL for drilling holes or half a hole is used Motul 10W40 synthec drained from my bikes.
For half a hole drilling, you must follow a special procedure. :D
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
So, what is the best cutting oil to use? Heh Heh, now it’s an OIL thread :D
MiLord, the best OIL for drilling holes or half a hole is used Motul 10W40 synthec drained from my bikes.
For half a hole drilling, you must follow a special procedure. :D
MiLord, the best OIL for drilling holes or half a hole is used Motul 10W40 synthec drained from my bikes.
For half a hole drilling, you must follow a special procedure. :D
I tink for half holes requires 5W20 cutting oil.
 
Man, drilling half holes is not that hard. All you have to do is look at a drill bit. It is round and drills round holes. So if you take that bit and grind it down on one side so it is half moon shaped. Well it should then drill half holes! Just use the 5W20 cutting oil.

Actually I got the holes drilled yesterday. Apparently the bit I was using wasn’t up to the job. After switching to a different bit it didn’t take long. Rails are mounted and look pretty good. And yes PB, I’ll try to get some pics up this evening.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Man, drilling half holes is not that hard. All you have to do is look at a drill bit. It is round and drills round holes. So if you take that bit and grind it down on one side so it is half moon shaped. Well it should then drill half holes! Just use the 5W20 cutting oil.

Actually I got the holes drilled yesterday. Apparently the bit I was using wasn’t up to the job. After switching to a different bit it didn’t take long. Rails are mounted and look pretty good. And yes PB, I’ll try to get some pics up this evening.
Your statement tells me that you drilled half holes at a half moon night, correct?
855c91ef5b2d4356abbfd65d2f4f9e69.gif
a1c7b17b3dd6151a1c916d0d3631f8fe.gif
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Thanks for this. Though I don't need the dolly, the tip about putting a block under the wheel is sweet. I have never been able to get this bike onto the center stand without help. I am just not heavy enough to get it moving.
Hey, Inhouse - You may be using the wrong technique to get the bike onto the centerstand, and Honda doesn't make it easier 'cause they don't provide a grip point. I tie a loop of rope around the swing arm, long enough so I can grip it, short enough so I can pull up on it. Get the bike onto the stand points, left and right side and rock it slightly back and forth sideways so you know the feet are on the ground. Hold the left handlebar grip in your left hand, the loop of rope in your right, and put your right foot on the lever point. I need to use boots or at least some sturdy shoes. Put the lever point just forward of your heel, and step up onto it, pushing down and pulling up on the loop of rope at the same time. It'll pop right up.
 
WOW, WOW, WOW, yours is better than my both dollies combined. Excellent job, it's an art.:thumbsup:******
Just don't forget to check dolly's tire pressure from time to time, 0.02 :)
 
The motor is extra. I paid around $10,000 for it in 2013 :P
 
Back
Top