Idaho Guzzi Rally on a Road King...lots of pictures

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
For a number of years I've planned to attend the Guzzi Rally at the Broken Arrow Resort in Gibbonsville, Idaho. About 4 years ago I came close to that goal but work interceded and I was able to make the trip but had to go a week before the rally took place. I did that ride on the CB1100 and posted a post trip report on the forum.

So this year thanks to Covid19 the stars aligned and I was able to get the exact time period required for the rally off from work. I sold my small enclosed trailer too a friend pre Covid meltdown and haven't had the opportunity to go out and buy a replacement. Plan A was to trailer the Guzzi Racer up (due to limited on board bike storage space) and ride it on day trips at the rally.

Racer:

3940acc1b701e462ebf5e3b81481f9f2.jpg


Plan B was easy. I currently have a 2005 Road King with air suspension sitting in the garage. I pulled the top box off the CB and put it on a Harley Quick Release touring mount and presto...had a ton of space to supplement the panniers and dry bags.

CB loaded for the trip 4 years ago:

a3f02a2a51e5f9f3449af0936d962f3f.jpg


Road King loaded down for the trip this year:

4a3d7138665027d40060485f768ea26d.jpg


I left on a Thursday AM and headed straight north on I-15 out of Ogden into Idaho past Malad, Pocatello and Twin Falls. Bug free and cool, minimal traffic, boring and fast slab riding that the 88cc V twin took in stride and pushed through at 80-85 mph without any drama. After approximately 230 miles on the freeway I exited at Sage Junction Idaho. I turned off on the 23 and started heading north-west on Hwy 28, a well maintained two laner with literally zero traffic.

Getting gas after leaving interstate 15. As always these off the beaten path gas stations raise the prices to milk the tourists.

110d42f9be5ceb98d91db4092d7a9370.jpg


For about 30-40 miles this is undulating, open sage flats that eventually give way to the mouth of a wide mountain valley. The valley begins to constrict gradually as the road climbs to the Summit of Gilmore pass at a little over 7,000 feet.

Gilmore summit looking north:

cc8ee47f38b77041680dfe37508f0efd.jpg


Gilmore summit looking south west:

44871048bc85a5f8a73f21eb0b7b3745.jpg


Gilmore summit looking south east:

a8bd204b5bb03227d3206a4f87691432.jpg


Scenes from the valley floor:

80429b6d409c56f0afeddfb8c81303d7.jpg


71a96e648593cea4fa6edfaf1af59d67.jpg


Crossing the 45th Parallel on Highway 28 heading north into Salmon Idaho:

570d9b335d0849ce9ac683517007d89b.jpg


After about 370 miles at 1:30 PM I rolled into the resort, staked claim to a camping spot with a good amount of tall grass and set up camp. To my surprise I was the first bike from the rally to be there.

86398d7b628066eb987fbe46792ab10b.jpg


8ae67819c5afbf4c18feb3c1bed342cb.jpg


Some observations about the Road King: I had on a small back pack and some dry bags in front of the top box. As a result I was able to lean back in comfort against the luggage and ride in an extremely comfortable position which provided me with exceptional lower back support. This was also the first time I used the highway pegs since owning the bike. Between the lower back support, highway pegs and large floorboards there were infinite options to move and reposition for comfort. Say what you want about the feet forward riding position, it has its adherents for some very valid reasons. Comfort being more than likely at the top of the list.

I slept very comfortably for about 2.5 hours during the heat of the day (about 81 degrees) and got up just in time to see the first bikes come into camp. The camp filled up with a few more bikes. Riders set up their sites and held a few conversations here and there after dinner.

Here ends Day 1 of the 19th Annual Broken Arrow Resort Moto-Guzzi Rally in Gibbonsville Idaho.
I slept very well and got up relaxed without any soreness from the previous days ride. After I made a cup of coffee I walked around a little and took some pictures of bikes. throughout the day more bikes rolled in from all over. A Fair amount of them were from the northwest but some bikes came from Arizona and California and points east like Denver.

The following pictures are a composite of the bikes that showed up over the next 1.5 days.

Pearl white 1400 cc MG California Pulling trailer:

5213645ce0b7ab415605ee3106604a2f.jpg


Two younger guys came in on this Yamaha and R9T

b0e6d62dbdec2bdfc9dc75591aa54dd7.jpg


I was impressed with the R9T riders minimal accommodations. Luckily the weather held because otherwise he may have had a wet night or two.

864252a0b95f642314e148af7a957b77.jpg


afc5e073ecddc4817a8c00b8aee9a8eb.jpg


Unsure of what model MG this is

9de1d4d2301966b31ba5500141640edc.jpg


We had a few non Guzzi riders here besides myself. It was a laid back atmosphere and even BMW riders were allowed into the Circle of Trust.

c4aa5a672b5ffaa7a2789ac7b65ab5e8.jpg


b4087ec38b328f0b692bf44e7f375359.jpg


Two kitted out MG Stelvio's. In the flesh these are imposing bikes.

43e209446f3b4ddcaa88d78d6214a741.jpg


f1a93f9c1d0044694f7ddf262c2a5b6d.jpg


An Audace...this was probably the best sounding bike of the bunch at the rally..

7558fffcddc82a34ff209ce3a9088f1b.jpg


Two late model California's with a Polaris 3 wheeler in the background. The California's are exceptionally well appointed and just ooze quality workmanship all around.

40313b1895c2316d6ca9bd16b60e979d.jpg


e6ffef66c426b990339bd12c85dcc3c4.jpg


I'm bumping up against the picture limit so will cut it off here and start another entry.
 
Really good stuff — thanks! No need to justify your ride. It sounds like a great time and I’m glad all were welcome! That’s usually how Guzzi events work. Looking forward to more pics!

I think the errant Guzzi is either a Jackal or a California Stone. The boys on WG will know.
 
did you see Rboe? lol

Rallies are fun.
 
Thread starter
More bikes from the Rally:

Someone flying their colors outside their tent:

a7e15519b245fb824da3002b030277c0.jpg


Moto Guzzi's version in the sport tourer class...a Norge.

40a1f5e854d1f774d251044da68b5306.jpg


Another Stelvio and an assortment of late and early MG V7's:

439e87e54c9f678544ba6d2fec8e9592.jpg


Husbands V7

8a981816274af48cbff695b91044fa7c.jpg


Wife's V7

1184762eb89f5ad4ac98344e01aa98dc.jpg


Late model V7III with Army cases as panniers.

8b53679bcd8148e6f522a030220c5bdb.jpg


Unknown model

63574f800ee806dc7ba11dda4c236a56.jpg


My favorite bike at the rally. I believe its a MG V11 Lemans Sport

c2b3ee7cac67c5d9592684e451ea98a7.jpg


A cool Lario. unless you're standing next to this bike you don't realize how truly small in stature it is. The mufflers are fabricated by the rider.

9ad4f5d961ab54279ba096235087395b.jpg


more to come.....
 
i think the "husbands V7" is an 850T
 
Thread starter
These two older rides were ridden up by a couple of engineers from California. You'd need to be an engineer to keep them running. It was interesting to hear them talk of the hoops they jump through to find parts. they do all their own work as needed....even on the side of the road and have no qualms about taking these high mileage steeds and going cross country on them.

9cfa4eb956e3ff684b522a6f0a8996dc.jpg


0221463b7e9d89a64c6af5549f98f3b3.jpg


Overall age of the attendees was probably in the 60's. It was a low key event with most of the riders staying in camp for a couple of days and socializing about previous rally's and getting reacquainted with old friends.

For my part I was there to fly fish some streams I'd had to drive past in previous years. I left early on day 2 after a cup of coffee and headed out to the Montana border and then rode east along the Little Hole river, stopping here and there to fish for small trout.

03e481f2400579f5e4f10c8007f1ed0e.jpg


I kept the rod together and strapped it to the side of the bike and fished my way down over about 3 hours to the Big Hole Nat Battle Field site. That was one of the two objectives that I had for the day.

2f199fef9e0439b802142bff507a1d86.jpg


Heading east and once past Wisdom Montanan I followed the Little Hole river north east as it became a moderate sized river compared to the small mountain stream it was where I fished it miles back.

ba6a1cf04e6d14c5e76d469de39f5f33.jpg


Clouds were rolling in from the Pindler Wilderness north of me and I kept a watchful eye on them. Mostly I just enjoyed the stunning panoramic western cloudage as I followed the meandering river across blacktop with almost no traffic. I finally coasted into Wise River, made a hard right and then pushed south into the Pioneer Mountains to my second objective, a picnic area close to a stellar mountain stream that for years I went by with no fishing rod.

0795128080129c0280c9786cb1596418.jpg


Picnic area view

0da6c8ff0091e14efe16e660ed553cb2.jpg


Zoomed view from picnic area

8aaf78314140e4bed55fe9c4dbc63731.jpg


Fishing just below where bike is parked. No fish but missed about 6-8 strikes. I wasn't on my A-game and truthfully didn't care.....I was in the moment self-actualizing..LOL

717d1624772f196d6d4d3a6c098ae65e.jpg


The rest of these pictures are me heading south through the pioneer mt's and then west to Jackson, Montana and Wisdom where I came from and then back to the resort in Idaho. It was a stellar solo ride of 160 miles or so of pristine mountain roads, again with no traffic or bugs.

d8620058a28a694e8cc3313be5b814b7.jpg


cb05cecaf15a2423e6bb089c14e50f13.jpg


f0b05f68b9d498cd7ea7a9782a1c4ad2.jpg


52e11d9974655c49f5df75086772106e.jpg


Picture limit approaching for one post so cutting it off here and starting another one.
 
Great report and photos, Frulk. Looking forward to more.
Stunning countryside too.
 
Looks like a stunning ride Frulk
 
Thread starter
Picking up where I left off:

Just before coming off the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Loop.

9f600feac3f24b1c5f5387345028ce65.jpg


I went west towards Jackson and then eventually Wisdom Montana. These pics are on that route.

A few miles west of the south end of the Pioneer Mountains.

b3afc822ff2c44faf7443be5893c23a5.jpg


Making a run for camp late in the evening

58df283a11537fba4f310d93f9347beb.jpg


Typical of the scenery on this stretch of road

8f541247e76387815b499145d9614227.jpg


Osprey nest just outside Wisdom Montana

59a8a0b84e951066a8ca2564c7adea3c.jpg


Not sure where I am

3d6219da4e5730534a033b4d47522cb3.jpg


I made it back to camp after a long day of riding and fishing and ate a big dinner, drank a few beers and then retired to my tent without any social interaction...

The next day I rode to Salmon, Idaho (31 miles south) did a little bit of shopping on main street adhering to all the covid 19 proprieties and then had lunch on an open patio with a couple of rally attendees. I do believe it's the best crab salad I've ever had.

Heading back to the resort. The Sawtooth's a few miles north of Salmon looking east.

9eb714a220155f084e4806a1fb40c4d6.jpg


I'll close the picture portion of this ride report with a gratuitous comet shot.

81c638b6284d8d50d3a62639eb49ca7b.jpg


After lunch in Salmon I came back to my camp and straightened some things up. Walked around a little and took some more pictures of bikes and generally relaxed for the rest of the afternoon and evening.

The next day I broke camp and was on the road by 0730 hrs. Pretty brisk at that altitude. I retraced my route back home on the same roads which brought me here. Most of the ride was between 80-90 mph as there was was no wind, no traffic, no weather, no bugs, no construction and apparently no one from the thin blue line out trying to collect road tax.

I was home by 1:30 pm and the temps were just reaching 90 degrees at the house. The rally was a laid back good time with some great people and probably one I will do again. Hopefully next year on the Mot Guzzi Racer...
 
you took that last pic? Wow.

Again, looks like a great trip. A lot of saddle time an a lot of time to reflect on things ..or pondering like I like to call my random thinking when riding or sitting in a ground blind primitive bow huntin'
 
Thread starter
Ferret...Ironically where I was we had clouds so I couldn’t take pics of the comet. The pic was taken by my friends son. At the same time I was at the rally they were on a 10,000 foot mountain in Nevada on a backpacking trip I was supposed to join them on. As I said ... it’s a gratuitous picture. :(
 
Back
Top