Preaching to the Choir . . .

VLJ_imp said:
Guth, why on earth are you going to get rid of a Hawk GT? Those things were so seriously cool, and now there's nothing else like them.

I really loved those things.

Ulvetanna, yes, I suspect that the brake squealing will eventually go away. If it doesn't, I'll have the dealer remedy it under warranty. This is the first of my twenty-five or so bikes that has had any brake squeal. It doesn't really matter much, except that it's the lone fly in the ointment of what is otherwise a functionally perfect motorcycle to me. I just want that one imperfection gone, is all.

As for steel lines and HH pads, they aren't on my radar at the moment. I immediately slapped them onto the XSR, as the stock brakes felt a bit dull to me. Not so, with this '17 EX. Squeals aside, I have no complaints. Perhaps, as you say, they could be even better, but I certainly don't need them to be better.

I'm taking her on another two-day right up the coast next Tuesday and Wednesday, and I will again hit Skaggs Spring Rd, so we'll see. I'll pay particular attention to the brakes that entire ride.
VLJ , there is an easy remedy for squealing brakes. Just a touch of a graphite grease at the points where brake pads makes contact with the calipers and pins. This stops the pads from oscillating and produce squealing.:idea:
 
I have a certain weakness for yellow, only bcos this i have now too a 17 modell...:D..:D...:D...ah no...my bodymass fit soooo well

the models are very similar of cours but i feel very clear the difference by susepnsion, i mean too the enginebreak works some differently (better) the the counterpart for this is : somehow you feel at any rpms the power differently bcos yes we know the air intake and exhaust has changed or the max torque is now 500rpms higher as before, ignition should be changed at 2 cylinders...... for me has logic that you can feel this (the different) and this feeling is supportet additionally from the sound smile ............

just i regret nothing i have not the same bikes...amen
 
VLJ_imp said:
Guth, why on earth are you going to get rid of a Hawk GT? Those things were so seriously cool, and now there's nothing else like them.

I really loved those things.

Ulvetanna, yes, I suspect that the brake squealing will eventually go away. If it doesn't, I'll have the dealer remedy it under warranty. This is the first of my twenty-five or so bikes that has had any brake squeal. It doesn't really matter much, except that it's the lone fly in the ointment of what is otherwise a functionally perfect motorcycle to me. I just want that one imperfection gone, is all.

As for steel lines and HH pads, they aren't on my radar at the moment. I immediately slapped them onto the XSR, as the stock brakes felt a bit dull to me. Not so, with this '17 EX. Squeals aside, I have no complaints. Perhaps, as you say, they could be even better, but I certainly don't need them to be better.

I'm taking her on another two-day right up the coast next Tuesday and Wednesday, and I will again hit Skaggs Spring Rd, so we'll see. I'll pay particular attention to the brakes that entire ride.
I had one; my 2017 SV650 is the closest thing to that bike in terms of handling. VERY similar. But the Hawk GT handled better. SV is much faster though. I love the V-twin in a bike like that. Supreme.

If that bike is well-cared for it should be worth more than one might expect as it's a cult bike.

Very interesting that Guth found the Hawk GT and the CB1100 as "keepers" as the two bikes are diametrically opposed from a design perspective. The Hawk was cutting-edge for its time, aluminum frame, single-sided swingarm, etcetera. Great machine. I would buy another but for the carburetors, and the SV is so close in handling with double the power. 20 pounds heavier, too, but not noticeable.

VLJ_imp said:
Guth, why on earth are you going to get rid of a Hawk GT? Those things were so seriously cool, and now there's nothing else like them.

I really loved those things.

Ulvetanna, yes, I suspect that the brake squealing will eventually go away. If it doesn't, I'll have the dealer remedy it under warranty. This is the first of my twenty-five or so bikes that has had any brake squeal. It doesn't really matter much, except that it's the lone fly in the ointment of what is otherwise a functionally perfect motorcycle to me. I just want that one imperfection gone, is all.

As for steel lines and HH pads, they aren't on my radar at the moment. I immediately slapped them onto the XSR, as the stock brakes felt a bit dull to me. Not so, with this '17 EX. Squeals aside, I have no complaints. Perhaps, as you say, they could be even better, but I certainly don't need them to be better.

I'm taking her on another two-day right up the coast next Tuesday and Wednesday, and I will again hit Skaggs Spring Rd, so we'll see. I'll pay particular attention to the brakes that entire ride.
Oh no, I wasn't suggesting the bike needed that setup. Only reason I did it is because for some reason I was experiencing some knuckle and joint pain in both hands for a few months, and wanted to reduce lever effort to the bare minimum. I had also installed the CB500 bars (thank you, Mr. Beck) and needed to shorten the clutch/brake lines. The hand condition cleared up completely, thankfully, and I had a bike with fantastic brakes. The CB's brakes stock are excellent. I wouldn't touch them without a really good reason. Pads, feel, the whole thing is very well designed.

VLJ_imp said:
Guth, why on earth are you going to get rid of a Hawk GT? Those things were so seriously cool, and now there's nothing else like them.

I really loved those things.

Ulvetanna, yes, I suspect that the brake squealing will eventually go away. If it doesn't, I'll have the dealer remedy it under warranty. This is the first of my twenty-five or so bikes that has had any brake squeal. It doesn't really matter much, except that it's the lone fly in the ointment of what is otherwise a functionally perfect motorcycle to me. I just want that one imperfection gone, is all.

As for steel lines and HH pads, they aren't on my radar at the moment. I immediately slapped them onto the XSR, as the stock brakes felt a bit dull to me. Not so, with this '17 EX. Squeals aside, I have no complaints. Perhaps, as you say, they could be even better, but I certainly don't need them to be better.

I'm taking her on another two-day right up the coast next Tuesday and Wednesday, and I will again hit Skaggs Spring Rd, so we'll see. I'll pay particular attention to the brakes that entire ride.
If that isn't a test for the bike's suspension and handling, I don't know what is. I did that road two-up on my 2013. Try to take some pictures or video, won't you?

I will state that with a passenger, low bars, and Ikon shocks, the bike did surprisingly well. I really don't recall anything about the ride that was offputting. Overall the 2013 can hold its own admirably even in "sport" mode with less than $1000 of mods (handlebars, brake/clutch lines, Ikon shocks).

I guess the K&N air filter and holes drilled in the tailpipe don't amount to much but they did give the bike a little more "growl".
 
Ulvetanna, the ride I'm taking next week will be identical to the one described in my "Magical Mystery Tour" thread. Same bike, same roads to get there, same destination (different hotel in Mendocino, though—the hotel I'd originally booked last time had to cancel on me at the last minute, so they offered me a free room for next time, which is why I'm heading right back to Mendocino again), same return route home via Hwy 128, the Wine Country, and Lake Berryessa. I doubt there will be any reason to take the same pictures again.

The only difference, besides the hotel and a slight chance of rain, will be that this time I'll be using a bungee net instead of the supplied straps to secure my tail bag. Hopefully there will no further surprises or adventures on that score.

Oh, and perhaps this time I will nut up a bit more and trust the front end enough to try stuffing it in harder through those fast downhill corners on Skaggs Springs Rd.

:blush:
 
VLJ_imp said:
Ulvetanna, the ride I'm taking next week will be identical to the one described in my "Magical Mystery Tour" thread. Same bike, same roads to get there, same destination (different hotel in Mendocino, though—the hotel I'd originally booked last time had to cancel on me at the last minute, so they offered me a free room for next time, which is why I'm heading right back to Mendocino again), same return route home via Hwy 128, the Wine Country, and Lake Berryessa. I doubt there will be any reason to take the same pictures again.

The only difference, besides the hotel and a slight chance of rain, will be that this time I'll be using a bungee net instead of the supplied straps to secure my tail bag. Hopefully there will no further surprises or adventures on that score.

Oh, and perhaps this time I will nut up a bit more and trust the front end enough to try stuffing it in harder through those fast downhill corners on Skaggs Springs Rd.

:blush:
Great roads up there, perfect bike for it. Did that tailbag come loose? I've known at least two riders who crashed because of a tailbag getting stuck in the rear wheel.
 
Make that three riders you've known who crashed when their tailbag worked its way down into the rear wheel. That's how I crashed my FJ1200 at 143 mph on Hwy 58 in the Mojave desert, back when I was a kid.
 
VLJ_imp said:
Guth, why on earth are you going to get rid of a Hawk GT? Those things were so seriously cool, and now there's nothing else like them.

I really loved those things.

Ulvetanna, yes, I suspect that the brake squealing will eventually go away. If it doesn't, I'll have the dealer remedy it under warranty. This is the first of my twenty-five or so bikes that has had any brake squeal. It doesn't really matter much, except that it's the lone fly in the ointment of what is otherwise a functionally perfect motorcycle to me. I just want that one imperfection gone, is all.

As for steel lines and HH pads, they aren't on my radar at the moment. I immediately slapped them onto the XSR, as the stock brakes felt a bit dull to me. Not so, with this '17 EX. Squeals aside, I have no complaints. Perhaps, as you say, they could be even better, but I certainly don't need them to be better.

I'm taking her on another two-day right up the coast next Tuesday and Wednesday, and I will again hit Skaggs Spring Rd, so we'll see. I'll pay particular attention to the brakes that entire ride.
I love these things too. Honestly, this was my "dream bike". I've noted many times here through the years that this was the very first street bike that I ever truly desired as a young adult (enough to go fill out all of the paperwork down at the dealer). But in the end the timing just wasn't right. Much later on when I got back into riding again eleven years ago (and out on the street for the first time ever), the Hawk was the only bike I wanted to get my hands on. The Monsters and the SV650's came along after the Hawk with a similar vibe, but I was never as crazy about them as I was about the Hawk GT. You guys know me well enough by now: while I could have picked up a SV650 for a song, and they were much easier to come by than the Hawks, regardless of the performance gains the SV's just weren't attractive enough for me, lol.

It's not so much that I want to get rid of the Hawk, but more a matter of me just having too many toys/hobbies as it is that take up a lot of my time — I have a very understanding wife. When we moved the S2000 into the garage last year I vowed that I would sell one of my bikes. I don't regret committing to do so, but I will be sad to see this bike go. I still like to do my own work on my vehicles as much as I can.(I've never taken my CB to the dealer). As a result, even though they are just mechanical objects, I tend to form a pretty deep bond with my vehicles. When I sell the Hawk on, the new owner is going to receive a very well sorted bike (all stock with the exception of a Penske rear shock, Race Tech springs and Gold Valve Emulators up front along with SS brake lines). Here's a photo of it last year after I brought it home with a new set of shoes. Like I said, this bike is very well sorted.

1a4ab81b121ce6113844111979b96960.jpg


ad6ef47e3edc775fbbd7f23896fb8d9d.jpg


As much as I love the Hawk, the CB1100 is the bike that I ride more often. While I still refer to the Hawk as my dream bike, and it was the motorcycle that I most identified with as a younger man, I'm just not riding it all that much. Even as I continue to lose weight, the ergos are a bit cramped for me and I simply prefer to sit more upright when I ride. Maybe that's because I grew up riding dirt bikes, I don't know. Even though I was just a kid during the glory days of Honda's CB range of bikes, I also happen to love the CB1100. The CB1100 appeals to me not only as a motorcycle, but also as a chapter within Honda's own history. It holds far too strong a grip on me for me to consider moving it along to someone else. I truly hope that whoever ends up my the Hawk next will be able to appreciate it for what it is. I definitely appreciate my CB1100 for what it is and I'm confident that I'll continue to enjoy this bike for as long as I'm still riding motorcycles. I look at my situation as parting ways with one friend while getting to know another one even better.

e586279abc36723a39f0f2c48d6dafeb.jpg
 
Too pretty. Too sorted. Too rare. Too cool of a blue Honda companion for the red CB. Too much personal history with you. Too great of an option for when a buddy comes over.

Nope, you can't get rid of her. The Moto gods forbid it, and you never want to offend the Moto gods.
 
That Hawk looks like a beauty pageant winner with her silver sash draped around her neck, falling to waist...which, btw, what is that? Is is structural or cosmetic? Aluminum? Not familiar with the bike, but pleasing to the eye.
 
Yep, the Hawk GT sports a full-zoot, high-tech, all-aluminum perimeter frame, an absolute rarity for a naked sportbike of any era, never mind the Hawk's own heyday. Plus, come on, look at that gorgeous rear wheel, shown off to perfection by the equally rare (for a naked of that era) single-sided swingarm.

The Hawk GT is pure moto-jewelry, and Guth's blue beauty is an amazing example of the specimen. It even has upgraded suspension, brake lines, a Corbin seat with matching blue piping (although, truth be told, I usually hate Corbin seats), and new tires.

Overall, good luck finding a nicer example of a Hawk GT
 
VLJ_imp said:
Yep, the Hawk GT sports a full-zoot, high-tech, all-aluminum perimeter frame, an absolute rarity for a naked sportbike of any era, never mind the Hawk's own heyday. Plus, come on, look at that gorgeous rear wheel, shown off to perfection by the equally rare (for a naked of that era) single-sided swingarm.

The Hawk GT is pure moto-jewelry, and Guth's blue beauty is an amazing example of the specimen. It even has upgraded suspension, brake lines, a Corbin seat with matching blue piping (although, truth be told, I usually hate Corbin seats), and new tires.

Overall, good luck finding a nicer example of a Hawk GT
The GT certainly is all of that.
When I came back to bikes in 1992 it was on an red 1989 Hawk GT that was a leftover and brand new.
I loved that bike and rode it all over eastern Canada and the eastern U.S.
I sold it to buy the CB900F that I still own, but I never bonded with the 900F as I did with the GT. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't.
 
Oh yes, the Hawk was a truly exceptional bike. I had a red '89(with RLETS, yes)which I kept for 15 years and eighty thousand miles. Other bikes came and went but the Hawk stayed, until I had to sell it along with the CB1300 because I was moving to another country. Still on the lookout for a similar one, though they are quite rare in Europe.
 
Nope I can't fix it, because of the manner in which the pics are attached. Sorry. Maybe Cormanus knows a trick.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Nope I can't fix it, because of the manner in which the pics are attached. Sorry. Maybe Cormanus knows a trick.
Well, if it's not a problem then leave it.
I used the browse and attachment features below.
I did go back and forth a few times, but I thought I deleted the doubles. My bad.
 
That Cormanus earns his paycheck every day. :thumbsup: :worship:
 
Thank you Ferret. Now I know why the figure on the said cheque is what it is. :P
 
cookiemech_imp said:
Yeah, you guys all know how great the CB1100 is, but I only knew how nice it looks, until yesterday.

Weather was damp and warm, but at least not raining (much), so I took the EX out for about 80 miles or so. Oh, my! I have at least 400K miles of street riding experience, but none whatever on an inline four. It's so silky smooth and pleasant . . . effortless. I have two Harleys with the new Milwaukee Eight motor; you would generally view these as "torque" engines (and they are worlds above the earlier Twin Cam engines in terms of rideability). But the CB1100 is just plain silly in the way it pulls hard from low rpms. When I read through the owner's manual (and I had plenty of time to do that, with snow and ice around here), it indicated that you "should" upshift to sixth gear at 37 mph. No way. No how.

But you can! That bike doesn't really care what gear it's in. It just sounds a bit different. I ran it down a divided four-lane road at 55 to 70 mph and it was like a car with an automatic transmission. Rode it on busted two-lane roads and it was competent and easy. Did I say easy? Easy. Great clutch, great brakes, beautiful throttle transitions. Need to keep my feet up on the pegs, because I dragged my boots a couple of times (and I'm not "that kind" of rider . . . ;))

Thinking about the sorts of bikes I have, my old BMWs (and I have the most experience with BMWs) seem like no-nonsense machines. If a dirty job (like riding to work in all sorts of shaky weather) needs to be done, there is no substitute. Point to point, gotta be there, it's a BMW, hands down. Do the maintenance, never cut corners, and I'm pretty sure these bikes cannot be worn out. I trust my BMWs.

The Harleys are just pure comfort and pleasure. They're awfully expensive and heavy, but they are the only machines on which I can ride all day and not have physical discomfort from the bike (just fatigue). I don't especially like the stereotypes associated with Harleys, but I've gotten over caring who rides what. Modern Harleys are well-built and in stock form pretty refined.

The CB1100 is just a sweetheart. It's sitting in my garage saying "Oh, you don't want to take the Accord (though there isn't currently one here)? Take me! I'm just as nice!" I have some experience with Honda automobiles (my wife has a 2015 Fit and had an Accord years ago) and it really is the same sort of feeling of seamless perfection. Even though the CB1100 has a manual transmission, it snicks through the gears without a missed shift or any drama whatever.

If you can't tell, I like it! It's a cheerful machine.
The CB will compliment your Harley's well.
 
Back
Top