Preaching to the Choir . . .

cookiemech

Running like a top
Thread starter
Yeah, you guys all know how great the CB1100 is, but I only knew how nice it looks, until yesterday.

Weather was damp and warm, but at least not raining (much), so I took the EX out for about 80 miles or so. Oh, my! I have at least 400K miles of street riding experience, but none whatever on an inline four. It's so silky smooth and pleasant . . . effortless. I have two Harleys with the new Milwaukee Eight motor; you would generally view these as "torque" engines (and they are worlds above the earlier Twin Cam engines in terms of rideability). But the CB1100 is just plain silly in the way it pulls hard from low rpms. When I read through the owner's manual (and I had plenty of time to do that, with snow and ice around here), it indicated that you "should" upshift to sixth gear at 37 mph. No way. No how.

But you can! That bike doesn't really care what gear it's in. It just sounds a bit different. I ran it down a divided four-lane road at 55 to 70 mph and it was like a car with an automatic transmission. Rode it on busted two-lane roads and it was competent and easy. Did I say easy? Easy. Great clutch, great brakes, beautiful throttle transitions. Need to keep my feet up on the pegs, because I dragged my boots a couple of times (and I'm not "that kind" of rider . . . ;))

Thinking about the sorts of bikes I have, my old BMWs (and I have the most experience with BMWs) seem like no-nonsense machines. If a dirty job (like riding to work in all sorts of shaky weather) needs to be done, there is no substitute. Point to point, gotta be there, it's a BMW, hands down. Do the maintenance, never cut corners, and I'm pretty sure these bikes cannot be worn out. I trust my BMWs.

The Harleys are just pure comfort and pleasure. They're awfully expensive and heavy, but they are the only machines on which I can ride all day and not have physical discomfort from the bike (just fatigue). I don't especially like the stereotypes associated with Harleys, but I've gotten over caring who rides what. Modern Harleys are well-built and in stock form pretty refined.

The CB1100 is just a sweetheart. It's sitting in my garage saying "Oh, you don't want to take the Accord (though there isn't currently one here)? Take me! I'm just as nice!" I have some experience with Honda automobiles (my wife has a 2015 Fit and had an Accord years ago) and it really is the same sort of feeling of seamless perfection. Even though the CB1100 has a manual transmission, it snicks through the gears without a missed shift or any drama whatever.

If you can't tell, I like it! It's a cheerful machine.
 
Every once in awhile, the choir needs to br reminded how sweet the music is. Good job.
 
Nice write up and assessment of your new CB1100. Always like to read how owners of a wide variety of bikes feel about a new addition to the stable!

Bob
 
ohiorider_imp said:
Nice write up and assessment of your new CB1100. Always like to read how owners of a wide variety of bikes feel about a new addition to the stable!

Bob
Particularly from those who are serial buyers and own a multitude of nice bikes.

The fact the CB1100 stands strong in the midst of other expensive, classic equipment is telling.

Obviously the entire bike has been overhauled; no one ever said the bike handled "competent and easy" on busted roads before. Because it didn't. Clearly the 2017 has a LOT to recommend it.
 
Rode mine again last night, after riding the Yamaha all day at Mosquito Ridge and the Sierra foothills. Yep, the Honda's suspension and overall handling is simply outstanding. "Magic carpet" comes to mind. It is easily the easiest to ride bike I've ever sampled, other than toy bikes like the Rebel 250 and Suzuki Savage. Without a doubt, it has the best throttle response of any bike I've ever ridden.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
ohiorider_imp said:
Nice write up and assessment of your new CB1100. Always like to read how owners of a wide variety of bikes feel about a new addition to the stable!

Bob
Particularly from those who are serial buyers and own a multitude of nice bikes.

The fact the CB1100 stands strong in the midst of other expensive, classic equipment is telling.

Obviously the entire bike has been overhauled; no one ever said the bike handled "competent and easy" on busted roads before. Because it didn't. Clearly the 2017 has a LOT to recommend it.
I have — even posted a video to demonstrate. If anything is clear here its' that you're trying to justify your next purchase to yourself. Just go buy the dang bike already. Sheesh. :P
 
Guth_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
ohiorider_imp said:
Nice write up and assessment of your new CB1100. Always like to read how owners of a wide variety of bikes feel about a new addition to the stable!

Bob
Particularly from those who are serial buyers and own a multitude of nice bikes.

The fact the CB1100 stands strong in the midst of other expensive, classic equipment is telling.

Obviously the entire bike has been overhauled; no one ever said the bike handled "competent and easy" on busted roads before. Because it didn't. Clearly the 2017 has a LOT to recommend it.
I have — even posted a video to demonstrate. If anything is clear here its' that you're trying to justify your next purchase to yourself. Just go buy the dang bike already. Sheesh. :P
I have — even posted a video to demonstrate. If anything is clear here its' that you're trying to justify your next purchase to yourself. Just go buy the dang bike already. Sheesh. :P
Two quick comments in response to Guth:
First, thank you for saying what I was thinking. I ride on plenty of crappy roads and while they my CB1100's handling may not be "easy" it certainly is more than "competent".
Second, ever notice that your posts are much shorter at 1:00pm than they are at 1:00am? :rofl:
 
cookiemech, I'm pleased you like your bike. I know it's irrelevant; but, somehow it's gratifying when another person endorses your choice of metal steed.
 
Having ridden a '14 Standard and '17 EX, I will definitely vouch for the '17's superior suspension compliance over broken tarmac. So has Alpine Rider (if I have his name right), the guy here who owns a yellow '17 EX and an earlier blue model.
 
Hondas are wonderful things, that's all there is to it. Their reputation has been earned in many fields... motorcycles, automobiles, generators, lawnmowers, weed trimmers, the list is nearly endless.
 
Vouch all you would like, but there is a large difference between saying that the 2017's suspension is better (or even "superior") and saying that the 2013's is poor, which if not stated overtly, was certainly implied in Ulvetanna's comment.
 
I'd love to run a 17 over the pot holed roads that are showing up in our area now just to see how superior the suspension is. I have a feeling it would still jar your teeth lol
 
Not all serial buyers do this, but most that can be found on internet forums tend to hype their most recent purchases, or those purchases that they are planning to make. They also tend to put down those items that they've already sold and that have now lost their initial appeal (and the cycle will continue to repeat itself). I tend to discredit most everything they have to say. That might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater on my part, but I obviously I have little patience for this type of behavior.

This is no way meant to dampen the enthusiasm that cookiemech or VLJ have for their 2017 EX's. In my mind those bikes have indeed likely benefited from some changes and but also suffered in some ways as well. As long as those changes made are the ones that appeal to the owners then that's all that matters as in the end, it's still a Honda CB1100 which overall I tend to think very, very highly of.
 
I'll bet Ohio's potholes are nothing compared to some of the ones I've seen on Oceanic islands. You could take holidays in them.
 
Back
Top