pop up adds at top of page

It's hardly the fault of the iPhone that the developer of that app chose to generate revenue with a banner at the top. This is typically in lieu of charging for the app itself. You're right that it is iAd, which is the framework Apple published for cleaner ads (interactive via HTML5 and whatnot).

Don't pretend like whatever phone you're using isn't being used against you as a tool by the advertisement agencies. This thread is about a forum member trying to improve his experience, not about chastising people about effing smartphones. Case closed. Thread should be too.
 
Thread starter
Looks like I may have some malware then. Its funny because they are motorcycle related adds. Here is a screen shot.
cc6c788a832c20d2733f5dfd646f21c3.jpg
 
DailyRider, first thing I'd do is go into Chrome's settings, select <Show Advanced Settings> then select <Content Settings> then click the button saying <Do not allow any site to show pop ups>. If that's already set, I' suspect you've either got some malware running or some addon to Chrome is popping the ads there for you.

Good luck.

On Tapatalk, I run it on an iPhone and I've never seen an ad. I also cannot see anywhere to turn ads off. It's not an Apple feature; the only way adds get into apps is if the app developer lets them.
 
Thanks for the screenshots guys. I did discover that there is a setting to disallow tapatalk from serving up ads, which I did. Ridem, you might see a difference as a result.

I'm not sure what to make of your situation dailyrider. That is a real bummer. I'll do some more digging just to make sure that this has nothing to do with the files on the server hosting the forum.

All the best,
Guth


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
dailyrider_imp said:
Looks like I may have some malware then. Its funny because they are motorcycle related adds. Here is a screen shot.
cc6c788a832c20d2733f5dfd646f21c3.jpg
Any malware will report your browsing history and interests and provide the appropriate pop ups. You must be a straight arrow. I have mates with some very interesting pop ups indeed. ;)

Cheers

Note: I said mates.
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
dailyrider_imp said:
Looks like I may have some malware then. Its funny because they are motorcycle related adds. Here is a screen shot.
cc6c788a832c20d2733f5dfd646f21c3.jpg
Any malware will report your browsing history and interests and provide the appropriate pop ups. You must be a straight arrow. I have mates with some very interesting pop ups indeed. ;)

Cheers

Note: I said mates.
Any malware will report your browsing history and interests and provide the appropriate pop ups. You must be a straight arrow. I have mates with some very interesting pop ups indeed. ;)

Cheers

Note: I said mates. Uh yea. I use incognito for that kind of browsing.
 
Just out of interest, Guth or Ridem, where is the switch in Tapatalk?

I recently downloaded a Windows 8 version of Tapatalk, but it's not as good as the browser interface in my opinion.
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
It's hardly the fault of the iPhone that the developer of that app chose to generate revenue with a banner at the top. This is typically in lieu of charging for the app itself. You're right that it is iAd, which is the framework Apple published for cleaner ads (interactive via HTML5 and whatnot).

Don't pretend like whatever phone you're using isn't being used against you as a tool by the advertisement agencies. This thread is about a forum member trying to improve his experience, not about chastising people about effing smartphones. Case closed. Thread should be too.
You are right and if you were to read my post again you will see I was trying to get to that, an answer or solution for a forum member.

Personally I wouldn't call the iPhone a smart phone as it has serious limits compared to windows or android devices. As far as your comment " Don't pretend like whatever phone you're using isn't being used against you as a tool by the advertisement agencies. " at least with other devices you can control how it is being used if you even want it to be used.

Should this thread be closed, well it does look like there has been progress made on this subject as guth has found a forum setting for tapatalk that apparently affected any and all free versions. I have had tapatalk since version 1 and have been grandfathered into the paid version now for as long as I can think of so I never have to deal with ads.

Wonder if that one setting I pointed out could have possibly helped also for anyone not just iPhone users. Especially since this subject touched a sore note with a member here other than me.

Let's get this back on subject and make it motorcycle related since that is a rule of this forum that topics be motorcycle related. Anyone have used an app that tracks riding routes when they do ride reports? Just a thought and on topic and meeting forum rules...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Cormanus I'm not very good with computers. I use tapatalk on my iPhone with the free app. Mine always showed the ad at the top of page. I did not find a switch Guth did it and my ad went away. I know that don't help you much. You will have to ask Guth. I can't even post pics from the website. But now I only use tapatalk on my phone and can post picks from my phone. Very simple :)
 
All good my end thanks, Ridem. Not an ad to be seen on any device, at least in relation to this forum.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Just out of interest, Guth or Ridem, where is the switch in Tapatalk?

I recently downloaded a Windows 8 version of Tapatalk, but it's not as good as the browser interface in my opinion.
As dBuster pointed out (thanks dBuster), the setting was on the tapatalk site, accessible to forum administrators only. Not something that I was aware when I first enabled the forum for tapatalk. This supposedly disables any and all tapatalk generated advertising when browsing the forum.
 
Thanks Guth. Curious I never saw any.
 
Thread starter
Everything appears to be cleared up now. I used Malwarebytes to clean my system. It found the offending crap, isolated and deleted it. This was not the only site I was having problems with. The malware was very subtle. It would only show items related to whatever site I was visiting. I did not even realize it. You live and learn.
Thanks everyone for the help & advice.
 
Back
Top