Poll: What kind of exhaust are you running?

Once you start changing the exhaust back pressure don't you start down the road of changing the intake and the chip?

Does the bike adapt its state of tune to the new parameters?
 
The bikes onboard ECU can compensate for small changes in flow (saying "backpressure" makes it seem like that's what the motor wants.. it doesn't) most people get by without retune fueling when simply putting on an open flow silencer even. I can tell you from experience though that the bike will run noticeably lean <5k revs without a power commander. I installed the power commander with the supplied stock tune and it runs so much better in the commonly used power region. I actually think the sound of the pipe actually just accentuates or makes more apparent the lean state the bike is delivered with. When you cant hear it you just feel flat. As far as changing the intake is concerned that is another ballgame but the motor can only put out what it intakes so freeing up outflow doesnt require any chang e in intake only fueling. But that's another thread .
 
I had staintune on my Thruxton, very nice. When i can afford the outlay an option for sure. Has anyone tried to drill a small hole in the stock baffle for just a bit of sound? Maybe 1/4" or less. Is this a bad thing for any mechanical reason? Will it even make a slight db difference?
oh yeah and another thing I have noticed a couple of slip-ons on samurider site Striker and Moto Gear slip ons, both about 60,000 yen. Anyone tried either?
 
southwend_imp said:
I had staintune on my Thruxton, very nice. When i can afford the outlay an option for sure. Has anyone tried to drill a small hole in the stock baffle for just a bit of sound? Maybe 1/4" or less. Is this a bad thing for any mechanical reason? Will it even make a slight db difference?
oh yeah and another thing I have noticed a couple of slip-ons on samurider site Striker and Moto Gear slip ons, both about 60,000 yen. Anyone tried either?
Southwend, read this thread

Gut Factory Muffler
 
The ferret_imp said:
southwend_imp said:
I had staintune on my Thruxton, very nice. When i can afford the outlay an option for sure. Has anyone tried to drill a small hole in the stock baffle for just a bit of sound? Maybe 1/4" or less. Is this a bad thing for any mechanical reason? Will it even make a slight db difference?
oh yeah and another thing I have noticed a couple of slip-ons on samurider site Striker and Moto Gear slip ons, both about 60,000 yen. Anyone tried either?
Southwend, read this thread

Gut Factory Muffler
Southwend, read this thread

Gut Factory Muffler
The ferret_imp said:
southwend_imp said:
I had staintune on my Thruxton, very nice. When i can afford the outlay an option for sure. Has anyone tried to drill a small hole in the stock baffle for just a bit of sound? Maybe 1/4" or less. Is this a bad thing for any mechanical reason? Will it even make a slight db difference?
oh yeah and another thing I have noticed a couple of slip-ons on samurider site Striker and Moto Gear slip ons, both about 60,000 yen. Anyone tried either?
Southwend, read this thread

Gut Factory Muffler
Southwend, read this thread

Gut Factory Muffler
I loioked at it Yikes what a rube goldberg way to muffle. I am trying to resist the temptation to fix the unbroken. It would be nice for just a bit more sound but it is so nice just as it is...
 
Here is the final pictures of my factory exhaust mod. I opened the end cap, I think that made the most difference in it having a deeper sound. I cut the inner snoot off flush with backing plate. Then I drilled 3 1 inch holes in the plate. My bike a a nice rumble thru the rpm range. I don't know how to post a sound clip. I have one on my I pad but it would let me post it.
And the cap
 
Has anyone else noticed that their stock exhaust seems to be getting deeper and slightly louder with time? After 2 full summers with the CB, it seems to sound better now!

My exhaust sound certainly has become fuller and less raspy since I installed the O2 Sensor Eliminator Plug.
 
Probably the biggest reason I didn't buy mine sooner was the large single exhaust. The bike just did not look balanced with the single large garbage can muffler and the DLX version was not available in Canada. The Wyverns fixed that.
 
At first I hated the single exhaust look also but one I replaced it with the trimed down pipe I like the single side look

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
I am very happy with the Arrow slip-on. Looks similar to stock but smaller and sounds really nice (without the baffle). Deep and rumbly, but not too loud at all. Fit and finish is really good.

Here are some pics. (Please excuse the quality; they were taken from the underground parking structure at work with limited lighting)



 
MikeOxbig_imp said:
I am very happy with the Arrow slip-on. Looks similar to stock but smaller and sounds really nice (without the baffle). Deep and rumbly, but not too loud at all. Fit and finish is really good.

Here are some pics. (Please excuse the quality; they were taken from the underground parking structure at work with limited lighting)
That looks good mike, It's nice they have motorcycle parking too:exclamation:

ralph
 
MikeOxbig_imp said:
I am very happy with the Arrow slip-on. Looks similar to stock but smaller and sounds really nice (without the baffle). Deep and rumbly, but not too loud at all. Fit and finish is really good.

Here are some pics. (Please excuse the quality; they were taken from the underground parking structure at work with limited lighting)
I like the Arrow and the sound samples I have heard. However, it's too bad that the Arrow doesn't come with its own heat shield, one that is sized more appropriately.

Since the stock heat shield is stainless steel (without chrome to flake off if flexed), has anyone tried to reform it to better fit the slimmer contours of the Arrow inlet section?
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
MikeOxbig_imp said:
I am very happy with the Arrow slip-on. Looks similar to stock but smaller and sounds really nice (without the baffle). Deep and rumbly, but not too loud at all. Fit and finish is really good.

Here are some pics. (Please excuse the quality; they were taken from the underground parking structure at work with limited lighting)
I like the Arrow and the sound samples I have heard. However, it's too bad that the Arrow doesn't come with its own heat shield, one that is sized more appropriately.

Since the stock heat shield is stainless steel (without chrome to flake off if flexed), has anyone tried to reform it to better fit the slimmer contours of the Arrow inlet section?
I like the Arrow and the sound samples I have heard. However, it's too bad that the Arrow doesn't come with its own heat shield, one that is sized more appropriately.

Since the stock heat shield is stainless steel (without chrome to flake off if flexed), has anyone tried to reform it to better fit the slimmer contours of the Arrow lead in section.
Yep, I reformed mine before I took it off, it bends fine if not bent too radical:P

ralph
 
Ralph_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
MikeOxbig_imp said:
I am very happy with the Arrow slip-on. Looks similar to stock but smaller and sounds really nice (without the baffle). Deep and rumbly, but not too loud at all. Fit and finish is really good.

Here are some pics. (Please excuse the quality; they were taken from the underground parking structure at work with limited lighting)
I like the Arrow and the sound samples I have heard. However, it's too bad that the Arrow doesn't come with its own heat shield, one that is sized more appropriately.

Since the stock heat shield is stainless steel (without chrome to flake off if flexed), has anyone tried to reform it to better fit the slimmer contours of the Arrow inlet section?
I like the Arrow and the sound samples I have heard. However, it's too bad that the Arrow doesn't come with its own heat shield, one that is sized more appropriately.

Since the stock heat shield is stainless steel (without chrome to flake off if flexed), has anyone tried to reform it to better fit the slimmer contours of the Arrow lead in section.
Yep, I reformed mine before I took it off, it bends fine if not bent too radical:P

ralph
Thanks!...Was that with the Arrow Slip-On? You didn't happen to take a picture of the reformed heat shield installed (before you put the Harley Can on)?
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
Ralph_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
MikeOxbig_imp said:
I am very happy with the Arrow slip-on. Looks similar to stock but smaller and sounds really nice (without the baffle). Deep and rumbly, but not too loud at all. Fit and finish is really good.

Here are some pics. (Please excuse the quality; they were taken from the underground parking structure at work with limited lighting)
I like the Arrow and the sound samples I have heard. However, it's too bad that the Arrow doesn't come with its own heat shield, one that is sized more appropriately.

Since the stock heat shield is stainless steel (without chrome to flake off if flexed), has anyone tried to reform it to better fit the slimmer contours of the Arrow inlet section?
I like the Arrow and the sound samples I have heard. However, it's too bad that the Arrow doesn't come with its own heat shield, one that is sized more appropriately.

Since the stock heat shield is stainless steel (without chrome to flake off if flexed), has anyone tried to reform it to better fit the slimmer contours of the Arrow lead in section.
Yep, I reformed mine before I took it off, it bends fine if not bent too radical:P

ralph
Thanks!...Was that with the Arrow Slip-On? You didn't happen to take a picture of the reformed heat shield installed (before you put the Harley Can on)?
Thanks!...Was that with the Arrow Slip-On? You didn't happen to take a picture of the reformed heat shield installed (before you put the Harley Can on)?
No, Gumby I didn't, but it was easy to reform around a piece of wood that was slightly smaller than the muffler. I did it by hand with gloves on:P I made sure that I let the bent portion on the end that has the bevel hang off the end of the round wooden baseball bat.

ralph
 
Back
Top