Poll: What kind of exhaust are you running?

For those looking for a little louder (safety issue?), I saw another thread where a couple of small holes in the stock baffle added a deeper and louder sound. Price is that of a drill bit.

I run stock, but have had people come sideways at me from an adjacent lane because I was "too" quiet.

Zappertomm
 
I don't want to turn this into a flame-fest...but I strenuously object to the meme of "loud pipes save lives." Make a note, next time you're out in a car or truck - when some open-pipe Harley is coming at you, you do NOT hear it above the general travel noise until it's on top of you. On the other hand, people trying to sleep; watch TV or listen to their audio system; enjoy a quiet cup of coffee on the patio...they DO hear it, and they don't think the rider is clever for blasting them that way.

The stock exhaust looks good and is quiet - and that's what I like. Remember, my "big ride" before this was a Burgman 650 - also nice and quiet.

The incessant roar of open pipes or modified mufflers does nothing to enhance the ride for me. Smooth and quiet enhances it. Fresh air and beautiful scenery enhances it.

My pipes will stay stock.
 
SP Tadao Power Box Short

I bought it for sound and looks. With the stocker, full face helmet and surrounding noise, many times I can't tell if the bike is running. Probably like many others, I listen to the engine to know when to shift and also to keep from stalling on take off. This bike is so smooth that I can't go by vibrations. ( Not a complaint by the way ). One of the biggest reasons I bought this bike is because it runs so darn smooth. I love the quietness of the stock exhaust but needed just a little more sound for driveability.

The SP is not loud but has a deeper throaty sound than stock. No increase or loss in power as far as I can tell.

I like the look of it. It tucks in nicely on the side and isn't as big as the tree trunk stock exhaust.

:beerchug:
 
Just installed the Staintune slip-on with a K&N filter on my 13. Didn't really want to pay $800.00 for it. The Staintune really does have it all, as mentioned many times in this post.:thumbsup:
 
It's worth noting that in my experience, both of my bikes sound louder to me when I'm on them enjoying the ride than they do when I've been an observer watching someone else take either of them for a spin. The few times that i've let someone else try out either my Hawk GT or my CB one of the first thoughts that comes to mind as I watch them accelerate away is just how quiet they sound (the Hawk equipped with the stock exhaust and the CB1100 with the Staintune).
 
If I were to change my exhaust it would be strictly for sound and looks, not for power. The bike has plenty of power as-is for me.

Having said that, until there's more exhaust/slip-on options for the deluxe, I'm content/happy with the stock look and sound.
 
A thought, the engineers at Honda have given design of the exhaust system including the muffler thought. Many years ago I spent some time talking to an engineer about what you can do with exhausts and by applying certain design concepts not in the public domain would amaze you. I would just except the fact that engineers at Honda are all over this. So by now I'm sure you know what the cut of my jib is.
Regards till next time.
 
Guth_imp said:
It's worth noting that in my experience, both of my bikes sound louder to me when I'm on them enjoying the ride than they do when I've been an observer watching someone else take either of them for a spin. The few times that i've let someone else try out either my Hawk GT or my CB one of the first thoughts that comes to mind as I watch them accelerate away is just how quiet they sound (the Hawk equipped with the stock exhaust and the CB1100 with the Staintune).
Just the opposite for me Guth,

On my old Bonnie no one riding or standing could hear ANY exhaust sounds, and with the Triumph "off road" mufflers (what a crock), it was barely noticeable to the rider, however to anyone behind it got a hint of what a Bonneville was meant to sound like when it accelerated away.
 
I guess I'm unique, I was lucky enough to buy a spare stock to experiment on and I've been cutting the guts out of it to get it loud enough.

The plan is/was to get it loud enough to put the end cap back on and no one will be able to tell by looking I've removed most of the internal baffling.

Then if I ever have any warranty problems, I'll just switch out the uncut stock before I take it in.

To me, it's all about the sound....I want to hear it, I consider it like playing a musical instrument....I don't care if others hear it or not...

Like I've said before, I keep trying to turn it into Z1 900 Kawasaki with kerker headers that I remember having such a sweet sound....doubt I'll ever duplicate it, but I'm trying ;-)
 
lash_imp said:
Stock right now until the first oil change, then Wyvern 4x4.
Retro bike- retro pipes. and the sound.....!!
Get them yet? If so, how did that go, are you doing ok without a center stand and do you think one can fix flats on the road without a center stand?
 
I now have about 5000 miles on the exhausts with no issues. The sound is worth the money alone.
Life without the center stand is ok, for service and checking the oil I mounted a front wheel stand on a 4x8 3/4" ply sheet and stand it level. I use a couple of tiedown straps at the back to secure it.
Changing the rear tire requires that you remove the 2 lower exhausts, which is only 2 bolts per side, more ackward than hard to do. You would have to do this even if you had the center stand, as the axle would not come out any other way.
 
I'm very pleased with the stock. After years of loud pipes I'm actually really enjoying the quiet. And the stock power is already more than I need. I've got the 2013 red standard which is the lightest configuration, so all the better! Best ride I've ever owned! (please add "stock" to the list of choices in your poll if it's not too late)
 
Trying to decide between Arrow and Moriwaki slip-ons. They both look simple, stockish, and are priced reasonably. Stock is just a bit too big and too quiet for me.
 
I am still running stock on my 5 days of ownership but I would like to fit a Supertrapp muffler at some point. Thay sound fantastic unique as flowmasters on cars!
 
Back
Top