Polishing up the pipes

KiowaEagle_imp said:
max_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Yes people here call headers the pipes coming out of the head to the first collector whether that is a cat or just a joint where the pipes connect
Okay, headers now understood as header pipes - thank you! Next I've gone though all the above posts again. Are we all really sure of what these header pipes are made ? Chrome, stainless steel, other ? And how about the standard vs. the DLX, or here in Europe the pre-EX vs. the EX and the RS ?
Kiowa seems convinced they are stainless-steel pipes, Sparky talks about Chrome, and so does Tev. I guess it matters (a little ?) if you put the right product on the wrong metal, no ?
So these headers are made of stainless steel on all CB/s ?
Single exhaust system is stainless, double exhaust is double walled chromed headers.
Stainless headers ( only ) are non magnetic, the exhaust can is slightly magnetic ( on the cb 1100 ) but chromed headers ARE magnetic, i have just verified this.

In addition stain-magic is for use on stainless only because of the chemical content and autosol etc. can be safely used on all metal surfaces to produce a high lustre finish.
"Stainless" ( you should see the stains on my header pipes ) is available in a wide variety of alloys with very different properties, for instance stainless 316 is best suited for salt water use above the waterline where the oxigen in the air can form it's thin protective layer and keep it looking good and stop corrosion, no oxigen.....different story.


Thanks to all the helpful contributions and explanations, i found this very informative.
Single exhaust system is stainless, double exhaust is double walled chromed headers.
I didn't mean to imply all headers are stainless j3gq. But I would imagine those that have the double walled chrome headers aren't so worried about how they look anyway. They don't discolor from heat, they just get dirty.
Single exhaust system is stainless, double exhaust is double walled chromed headers.
I didn't mean to imply all headers are stainless j3gq. But I would imagine those that have the double walled chrome headers aren't so worried about how they look anyway. They don't discolor from heat, they just get dirty.
Unfortunately my double wall headers do take on color, and it doesn’t take long. Without thinkng much, I cleaned them with Chrome cleaner. It worked, and now I know why ;) Now I am curious (no magnet at hand), what are my EX wheels made of ?
 
I still have a mint condition set of headers available if someone is interested in having a set to apply the jethot coating without bike downtime.
 
gman_imp said:
I still have a mint condition set of headers available if someone is interested in having a set to apply the jethot coating without bike downtime.
Do you happen to have the muffler portion that you would be willing to sell? Everyone that had one to sell keeps vanishing when it comes to payment. Dunno why. Maybe I smell bad. :rolleyes:
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
How much?
Email sent to you.
Whoops_imp said:
gman_imp said:
I still have a mint condition set of headers available if someone is interested in having a set to apply the jethot coating without bike downtime.
Do you happen to have the muffler portion that you would be willing to sell? Everyone that had one to sell keeps vanishing when it comes to payment. Dunno why. Maybe I smell bad. :rolleyes:
Do you happen to have the muffler portion that you would be willing to sell? Everyone that had one to sell keeps vanishing when it comes to payment. Dunno why. Maybe I smell bad. :rolleyes:
PM has been sent.
 
Just so everyone knows, Gman’s header has been sold to me. My plan is to have it Jet-Hot coated next spring.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Just so everyone knows, Gman’s header has been sold to me. My plan is to have it Jet-Hot coated next spring.
Out of curiosity, what did they quote for the headers?
 
I don’t really know. It was about 2 years ago when I looked into it. A small number of members have had it done and it wasn’t that bad. Of course buying another set and having it done will naturally run the price up :D

My original plan was to remove mine and drive them to Jet-Hot and let them ship them back to me. But I wanted to do it when warm so as to make a mini vacation out of it. But didn’t want to lose warm weather riding time so it never happened.
 
I had mine done last winter, just like you are planning to do. It was right at $350 and their customer service was great. Finish still looks great after a summer of riding. I do it again for sure.
 
Thanks NHCB! :thumbsup:
 
 
PB was going to sell them to me. However, there was a problem with the coating job. I’ll let him go into it if he desires. AFAIK he still has them.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I don’t really know. It was about 2 years ago when I looked into it. A small number of members have had it done and it wasn’t that bad. Of course buying another set and having it done will naturally run the price up :D

My original plan was to remove mine and drive them to Jet-Hot and let them ship them back to me. But I wanted to do it when warm so as to make a mini vacation out of it. But didn’t want to lose warm weather riding time so it never happened.
This is what my Jet-Hot coating cost during November 2019:

1c7578060b952c11a4f691f148e3859d.jpg


However, I didn't too too well with the UPS Store shipping charge at $164!
(New York State to Jet-Hot in Oklahoma)
 
Couldn’t you have sent it to Jet-Hot in North Carolina?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Couldn’t you have sent it to Jet-Hot in North Carolina?
I don’t know about that Popgun. My Jet-Hot quote stated that all parts be shipped to their Oklahoma address. I would ask if I were you.
 
I’ll do the suhawk. I’m NOT driving to Oklahoma!
 
That was supposed to say “I’ll do that Suhawk.” Not do the Suhawk. But who knows, maybe there is a dance called the Suhawk. One wonders :)
 
Yes, there is a dance I created called “ the suhawk” I did the dance after my CB fell on my foot, during my ride to the the Ohio Rally! Just ask KiowaEagle who saw it! :banana:
 
Back
Top